Linux mint is better than Windows 10

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Webbie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint is better than Windows 10

Post by Webbie »

Is it only me that feels that Linux Mint 20.1 is better than Windows 10? It loads so fast, and so many programs for Linux Mint work good, gaming also feels good on Linux Mint. :)

We need more windows users over to Linux Mint 20.1 so that the Operativesystem will expand. Gaming on Linux will never be easier.

This is my "windows mint" or Linux Mint 20.1:

https://i.postimg.cc/54DyKvtG/Sk-rmbild ... -30-59.png

This is some awesome operatingsystem, LM should never go under or disappear ever! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Webbie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint is better than Windows 10

Post by Webbie »

New update, it Looks like windows 10 even more now:

https://i.ibb.co/D9bnCrm/Sk-rmbild-fr-n ... -10-07.png

Linux mint is so easy to use. :)
Webbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Webbie »

This is my theme I use, i call it Windows Mint :)

https://www.filehosting.org/file/detail ... s_Mint.zip

Copyright goes to both to Linux mint and Microsoft for this amazing theme and to b00merang project for the icon port. This is aimed for Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 and above.
Attachments
Startup icon
Startup icon
icon.png (833 Bytes) Viewed 9297 times
defonotme
Level 1
Level 1

Post by defonotme »

Webbie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 am Is it only me that feels that Linux Mint 20.1 is better than Windows 10? It loads so fast, and so many programs for Linux Mint work good, gaming also feels good on Linux Mint. :)

We need more windows users over to Linux Mint 20.1 so that the Operativesystem will expand. Gaming on Linux will never be easier.

This is my "windows mint" or Linux Mint 20.1:

https://i.postimg.cc/54DyKvtG/Sk-rmbild ... -30-59.png

This is some awesome operatingsystem, LM should never go under or disappear ever! :)
Definitely, I agree, Linux Mint is great alternative to Windows, and is even better in many ways. I've been using Linux for a while now, and distro-hopped a fair bit, but I've always returned to Mint. The speed, stability and polish are practically unrivalled. I used Fedora and Manjaro for a long time and, while they were nice, Fedora lacked polish in some areas and Manjaro was too unstable for me. This is why I like Linux Mint! :D
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Call me old fashioned, but I can't see the point of using linux and then making your desktop look like windows.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Webbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Webbie »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:32 pm Call me old fashioned, but I can't see the point of using linux and then making your desktop look like windows.
Windows 10 themes are not that bad, and the older Windows 7 has a good theme as well. But windows itself has lots of virus and trojans on it if you're not protected, Linux mint is better on that road, you dont get viruses on Linux Mint as in Windows 7 for example.

Therefore if you like windows themes and care for them b00merang project is something good :)
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Hi,
As coming from Windows 10, I do also agree Linux Mint 20.1 is way better and faster than Windows 10. Not to mention the updates are not as forceful as Microsoft makes their updates. And the speed is quicker on Mint.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
Bob_renchers90
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bob_renchers90 »

It is much faster and I guess it will be my main OS now
jlc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jlc »

Linux Mint is better than Windows 10!
And on our inside pages-
- subarboreal ursine lavatory facilities discovered!
- ultramontane tendencies suspected in Vatican City CEO!
- gravity implicated in long-term controlling relationship between Earth and Sun!

When I was on W10 I used to dread installing updates. Now I look forward to 'em! Which, given that they seem to rock up every ten minutes or so, is just as well...
RickyRaccoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RickyRaccoon »

jlc wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:33 am
When I was on W10 I used to dread installing updates. Now I look forward to 'em! Which, given that they seem to rock up every ten minutes or so, is just as well...
91700083_2931039956959400_5455027706267697152_n.jpg
91700083_2931039956959400_5455027706267697152_n.jpg (70.77 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

If I liked the appearance of Windows 10 Pro, I would have booted from that old 16GB Verbatim USB flash drive in my pouch but, as I prefer Mint, why change it to look like Windows 10?

Windows 10 served me well, yet it returned the same idiotic errors that had driven me away from the Arch distros in that it ever so often would not boot, leaving me with a blank screen, or at least kept rebooting into a BSOD. Manjaro and others didn't even get that far. When Win 10 Pro worked, it was a pleasant experience not much different from Mint. I'd daresay it was a bit better in that it had more functionality, was better sewn together, and really produced a fast, stable working environment with some great eye candy. Updating was painless and easy, even swift, maybe because it had sat on an SSD. It did cannibalize its own EFI files a few times and I have no decided to keep it only for actual emergencies.

Much like Windows 10 Pro, my LMDE4 is stable, dependable, predictable, fast, light, yet that bit more reliable. I just migrated to LMDE4 a day or two ago, but the sailing was smooth thus far. Where it is better than Windows 10, is in the much smaller footprint on my tiny 250GB SSD and also using a bit less RAM. Updates are infrequent and usually painless. I am more used to Mint Cinnamon, the Ubuntu-based one, yet LMDE4 impresses.

I do think that Windows 10 gets more negative reporting than it deserves, as it works better - way better - than so many Linux distros out there. IMHO, I think Mint is the ONLY distro one ever should be using as a daily driver - the others are buggy, quirky and full of caveats. So many Windows critics never even used Windows before; I discovered that by reading countless blogs written by radicals, activists, all kinds of questionable people. sadly, that gives Linux a bad name.

LM is not just for beginners - here I am, fifteen years deep into Linux, still preferring LM over any other OS out there and it is also better than Mac. It is easy for beginners yet really great for all geeks. Of course, back in the day, people loved trouble and even drove Alfas - their choice. So, some would love the Arch's but I prefer stability, sensibility and reliability. Therefore, LM.
ABitMenthol77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ABitMenthol77 »

I have to agree that Linux Mint is better than Windows 10 but I have a different style applied.

Jamie, Sheffield UK
Setup: Starlabs Star Lite MKII running Linux Mint 21.1 Cinamon Desktop.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgement."
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Webbie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 am Is it only me that feels that Linux Mint 20.1 is better than Windows 10?
No it isn't! It's horrible! It never (or nearly never) crashes, it doesn't spy on you, it forces you to pay nothing for it and thousands upon thousands of potentially interesting and/or useful software titles, it looks like it was designed by people who actually give a [insert rude but hilarious sounding censor sound here] about code, user interfaces, and keeping the system up to date and operating properly!

Who in their right mind would want that?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lodbrok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lodbrok »

ABitMenthol77 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:48 pm I have to agree that Linux Mint is better than Windows 10 but I have a different style applied.

The flexibility in modifying the interface and the fact that it isn't Windows 10 makes it better than Windows 10, IMO.

I typically have the top panel set to auto-hide and the bottom panel set to intelligently hide. I've made it a bit busy on the top panel but it keeps me from scrolling through favorites and I will forget that I have some of the apps if I don't see them. I wish Mint had the panel transparent by default, the app icons centered, and used a theme similar to Tyr-jord. I modified the css theme file thingy for the transparency (the extension that adds transparency doesn't work consistently) and I probably would modify the menu font color if there was an easy way to do it.
Attachments
Linux Mint fretwork fairy w2.jpg
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

I don't think the criteria for comparing OS's could ever be appearance but rather should be overall architecture, functionality, stability, etc. People are woo'ed by desktops, regardless what goes on under the hood. You may be driving a Mustang with a puny 999cc 3-cylinder Smart engine while boasting smart airbrush paint effects.
MartinW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinW »

Portreve wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:05 pm
Webbie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 am Is it only me that feels that Linux Mint 20.1 is better than Windows 10?
No it isn't! It's horrible! It never (or nearly never) crashes, it doesn't spy on you, it forces you to pay nothing for it and thousands upon thousands of potentially interesting and/or useful software titles, it looks like it was designed by people who actually give a [insert rude but hilarious sounding censor sound here] about code, user interfaces, and keeping the system up to date and operating properly!

Who in their right mind would want that?
And the updates - don't forget the updates! What sort of operating system doesn't dump massive, dysfunctional updates on you every few minutes?!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yes. It's only you. The rest of us are masochists who like to punish ourselves. Or maybe we don't actually use Linux Mint. Or maybe we're not even real and you're just imagining this whole forum. :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:17 am
Yes. It's only you. The rest of us are masochists who like to punish ourselves. Or maybe we don't actually use Linux Mint. Or maybe we're not even real and you're just imagining this whole forum. :lol:
sheldon-sarcasm.jpg
sheldon-sarcasm.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 8707 times
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Glamtrains wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 amWhen Win 10 Pro worked, it was a pleasant experience not much different from Mint.
No different except Mint doesn't break - and is easier to use.
Much like Windows 10 Pro, my LMDE4 is stable, dependable, predictable, fast, light, yet that bit more reliable.
Windows reliable? You are joking? You must be. A year of viruses written by Microsoft in 2018 before they destroyed the entire system. Linux never does that.
I do think that Windows 10 gets more negative reporting than it deserves, as it works better - way better - than so many Linux distros out there.
Joke. As said before, Windows isn't reliable. Read up about the October 2018 fiasco and then follow up with the continuing fiascos where they delete everything during a forced update.
LM is not just for beginners - here I am, fifteen years deep into Linux, still preferring LM over any other OS out there and it is also better than Mac.
Mac? Don't get me started on that. Especially after having to do a job for a friend on her daughter's Mac. Solved by having a Mint laptop with me.
It is easy for beginners....
Definitely. A Windows user for decades sits down one morning and the computer is now running Linux Mint. Complaints? Yes, the icons weren't scattered across the screen where they had been on the Windows the night before. Easily fixed and she simply carries on using her computer in exactly the same manner, same jobs, same apps (Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.). Difference? Easier and more logically set out and no updates breaking it each month.
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

You'd be surprised......Mint can and does break and it did happen to me, especially when the Xfce beast ate its own.ICE files and left me sans a desktop, just a black screen and I had no internet access and had to reinstall to fix it. In 2020, Mint Cinnamon had its login block jumping crazily and I couldn't log in; yet another forced reinstall followed. And, in between, an update broke my Mint, somewhere around ver 16 or 18, a few years ago. Mint doesn't regularly break yet the wheels sometimes do come off. I just found that Xfce and MATE are more prone to fail and that Cinnamon is the pick of the bunch. I had blacklisted Xfce from my life long ago as it was terribly unreliable.

I have been in IT as a systems analyst, reseller/installer, sysadmin, tech, you give it any name you want, for some 40+ years now. Overall these years, I only once had a virus infection on my own Windows PC. That was Melissa II which was very easy to remove. I have seen users attract viruses by watching <violates forum rules>, gambling online, using pirated software and movies, etc. Viruses seem to have come from lustful computing but never did a client call me to remove a virus from a business computer. Any OS is as secure as is the fool driving the thing. The first-ever computer virus was found on an Apple Mac by Prof Sophos who, incidentally, don't even use Antivirus. And, if you really had the experience of Windows 10 Pro, you would have known that its feel wasn't much different from Mint Cinnamon. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad with Haswell i7 Quad 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM, and a 250GB Samsung Evo 750 SSD. Windows ran smoothly on that and even updates were a breeze.

When people take a radical stance, it says more about them than the subject they're discussing.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”