Should I upgrade to 20.1 or not?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redx87

Should I upgrade to 20.1 or not?

Post by redx87 »

Hi folks,

I've been running Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 64bit for a year or so. It took me a while to get it the way I like it, but now it's runs perfect, and is so reliable, I just love it.

However, I now feel I might be lagging behind the times and think maybe I should be upgrading to 20.1 Ulyssa. What are the chances of an upgrade breaking my perfect 19.1? Apart from ongoing support is there a good reason why version 20.1 would be worth the risk of a full upgrade? And what is the safest way to upgrade?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Should I upgrade to 20.1 or not?

Post by kc1di »

If you upgrade or not is pretty much a personal choice. 19.3 is supported until 2023 so there is not reason to upgrade if you comfortable with 19.x unless there is a hardware isssue that only the new release will solve. 20.1 is a good release and runs fine on my machine. But I did a fresh new install and did not try to uprade from 19.x. Weigh the advantages pros and cons and then choose. Also you may want to use the live session of 20.1 and see if everything work.s
good luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd just dl an iso and test it in a live boot (USB if possible). Esp. if it's an older machine. The wee netbook I'm typing this on is on 19.2, which is the newest Mint release that works on it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the generic advice, is to Not Upgrade,
unless it's really necessary .. hardware wise,
or, you just "feel like" doing that upgrade.

some of us, will be in that latter category & did upgrade, for that weird reason . .
:mrgreen:

thus, if your Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 64bit is working okay,
& particularly if you've got it working, in the way that you've like it,
then you should consider Not upgrading.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You might want to read the release notes for your favourite edition of Mint 20 and Mint 20.1. Clicking on the picture of each different desktop environment leads to an informative page, that has a link called 'what's new'. There you can read about the new features and see if any of them interest you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

I would at least upgrade to Mint 20. If you like it and want to proceed, then follow it by upgrading to 20.1. If however you feel 20.1 is not for you, I believe there is a way to go back to Mint 19....I think.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
redx87

Post by redx87 »

I will heed the good advice given and will check out Linux 20 on a live usb, and also do some more reading up on it. It is good to know an upgrade is not necessarily an imperative thing to do.

Many thanks to all, for taking the time to reply to my query.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

redx87 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:34 pm It is good to know an upgrade is not necessarily an imperative thing to do.
That's the beauty of the LTS releases of Mint. There is no rush to constantly upgrade.
FWIW, I'm still using Mint 19.0 on my main machine, (and a couple more) and have no immediate plan to upgrade them. I do however have a custom mint 20 ISO, that is installed on one machine, and ready to deploy to the others when the mood strikes me.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

redx87 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 amAnd what is the safest way to upgrade?
First backup your current OS. (timeshift or whatever).
Then upgrade.
If you don't like the result, restore from the backup.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

And what is the safest way to upgrade?
Remove the SSD or hard disk, insert a new one and try it out ...

If you like the new system, you can leave the new SSD or HD in there - the old one is at hand, possibly in an external housing.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

In my particular case, I found that 20.0 is a necessary thing if I want to continue using my HP LaserJet P1102w but only because HP has not yet updated hplip to be compatible with 20.1.

However, about a little over a month ago I bought an HP Color LaserJet M255dw, which evidently does not use the hp-plugin, so I'm thinking it might work on 20.1. However, I haven't tried it yet.

I'm thinking about getting a 1TB M.2 drive to dual boot between Win10 and LM because I don't really want to keep physically swapping between two different drives and physically wearing out the MVNE socket on my motherboard. Well see.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
gmoney

Post by gmoney »

I would say yes for security reason a lot of the reason people get hacked is because they don't upgrade their software.
JeffF73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JeffF73 »

gmoney wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:40 pm I would say yes for security reason a lot of the reason people get hacked is because they don't upgrade their software.
This primarily only falls under Windows software.

I upgraded from 19.3 to 20.1 and it went ok. I did end up having some minor issues that made me install fresh. There is always that chance thing's won't go so well so always back up your important data also taking a Timeshift backup and saving it to an external drive in case you do wish to go back the way you have everything now. You can reinstall the version you have now and then Timeshift Restore to that backup.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gmoney wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:40 pm I would say yes for security reason a lot of the reason people get hacked is because they don't upgrade their software.
That reason doesn't apply here. Mint 19.x is after all still supported.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Looks like HP finally updated hplip to be compatible with LM 20.1, so yep. Time to upgrade!

aktarus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aktarus »

Absolutely yes; I advise you to update.
AkTaRuS
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 am
And what is the safest way to upgrade?
Remove the SSD or hard disk, insert a new one and try it out ...

If you like the new system, you can leave the new SSD or HD in there - the old one is at hand, possibly in an external housing.
@ red87 If you are comfortable fooling around in the "innards" of a computer, this is the best advice. If you don't like the new version or you have what you consider to be essential software or hardware that isn't compatible with the new system, reverting back is as simple as just putting the old drive back in. I've done this myself with excellent results.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Portreve wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:48 am In my particular case, I found that 20.0 is a necessary thing if I want to continue using my HP LaserJet P1102w but only because HP has not yet updated hplip to be compatible with 20.1...
HP has been notorious for being slow to update their drivers for newer OSes, if they update at all. When I went from XP to Win 7 (pardon my blasphemy) a year or two after Win 7 had come out, I had to replace my otherwise good HP laser printer because HP had not updated the driver to work with Win 7. Adding injury to insult was HP DRMed chips in the toner carts with an expiration date to discourage refilling and it was impossible to find unexpired toner carts (expired carts would still work but one couldn't access the "tool box" to change settings).

On the flip side, when Win 10 (again, pardon my blasphemy), HP proudly announced that they would not be making drivers for new machines compatible with earlier OSes. That, along with bad tech support for an HP monitor, was the last straw for me and I won't buy HP products anymore.

I'm glad for you that HP did finally come out with a driver compatible with Mint 20.1.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:44 am HP has been notorious for being slow to update their drivers for newer OSes, if they update at all. When I went from XP to Win 7 (pardon my blasphemy) a year or two after Win 7 had come out, I had to replace my otherwise good HP laser printer because HP had not updated the driver to work with Win 7. Adding injury to insult was HP DRMed chips in the toner carts with an expiration date to discourage refilling and it was impossible to find unexpired toner carts (expired carts would still work but one couldn't access the "tool box" to change settings).

On the flip side, when Win 10 (again, pardon my blasphemy), HP proudly announced that they would not be making drivers for new machines compatible with earlier OSes. That, along with bad tech support for an HP monitor, was the last straw for me and I won't buy HP products anymore.

I'm glad for you that HP did finally come out with a driver compatible with Mint 20.1.
This started when printer manufacturers got the "bright idea" to sell their printers for next to no profit in exchange for making all the profit off the supplies, effectively making the printers themselves "loss leaders". Then, as their customers got wise to this, they struck back against their customers by imposing all kinds of technological limits. This, of course, is effectively aided and abetted by society getting brainwashed (and probably some laws are involved here somewhere) into getting used to their own property not really being fully their own property. One might "own" a printer, but one does not own the intellectual property embedded therein. Well, at some point, one does have to ask "Do I own this thing or not?" It's a kind of fog, or maybe it's better thought of as some kind of grand gaslighting. Either way, that's where we're at.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Portreve wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:41 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:44 am HP has been notorious for being slow to update their drivers for newer OSes, if they update at all. When I went from XP to Win 7 (pardon my blasphemy) a year or two after Win 7 had come out, I had to replace my otherwise good HP laser printer because HP had not updated the driver to work with Win 7. Adding injury to insult was HP DRMed chips in the toner carts with an expiration date to discourage refilling and it was impossible to find unexpired toner carts (expired carts would still work but one couldn't access the "tool box" to change settings).

This started when printer manufacturers got the "bright idea" to sell their printers for next to no profit in exchange for making all the profit off the supplies, effectively making the printers themselves "loss leaders". Then, as their customers got wise to this, they struck back against their customers by imposing all kinds of technological limits. This, of course, is effectively aided and abetted by society getting brainwashed (and probably some laws are involved here somewhere) into getting used to their own property not really being fully their own property. One might "own" a printer, but one does not own the intellectual property embedded therein. Well, at some point, one does have to ask "Do I own this thing or not?" It's a kind of fog, or maybe it's better thought of as some kind of grand gaslighting. Either way, that's where we're at.
You hit the head on the nail (or something like that)! I totally agree!
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”