Cinnamon Spice

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Cinnamon Spice

Post by MurphCID »

Maybe I am missing something, but what is Cinnamon Spice, and how will it affect us? I read the monthly update, and I am still a bit lost.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cinnamon Spice

Post by JoeFootball »

MurphCID wrote: what is Cinnamon Spice
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com

EDIT

Beat me to it Joe... :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I know, but maybe I am missing something... It looks like things that are already there.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MurphCID wrote: ... maybe I am missing something...
Or maybe it's just as it appears. Some people are quite passionate about fine-tuning the appearance of their desktop, and certain bells and whistles. And other people couldn't care less. :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:00 am
MurphCID wrote: ... maybe I am missing something...
Or maybe it's just as it appears. Some people are quite passionate about fine-tuning the appearance of their desktop, and certain bells and whistles. And other people couldn't care less. :)
I know, I use a Cinnamox Heather theme, but I guess that thought spices was something else.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MurphCID wrote: I know, I use a Cinnamox Heather theme, but I guess that thought spices was something else.
It's "Themes, applets, desklets and extensions." Nothing more, nothing less. :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

The change in Spices that will affect most of us is the Update Manager will now also include updates to the spices instead of us having to go elsewhere to get those updates (something I did not know; being able to get all updates through one Manager will be huge!).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 am instead of us having to go elsewhere to get those updates (something I did not know;
If, like me, you run Mint 19 then Spices Update will prompt you whenever one of the the other applets, pearlets, and orangelets or whatever they are called needs to be updated.
Cliff Coggin
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

This applet developed by Claudiux,has been doing this (Spices Update) for a number of years now (and it's a good one),wonder if applet Spices Update is going to be maintained any longer,now that it is going to be being integrated into Update Manager
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/309
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I guess I never even thought about it since I just added things from the System Settings icon. I never paid enough attention to the widgets to know that they were something special, I just thought they were Themes, and widgets. I thought it worked fine, and so never paid it any attention.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Over the years, I have played around with different themes, icon sets, and the like, but honestly I find most to be garish, even ugly. As a consequence, I really only care for either the Mint-X or Mint-Y themes, and the Mint-X icon set.

One of the strengths of GNU+Linux is the personalizable nature of it, from different terminal shells and the further ability to customize them, to having multiple desktop environments and the ability to customize and tweak them as well, and beyond.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Allowing updates of the spices through the update manager is something that's been requested for quite a long time. Something I think a lot of users are going to be happy about.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JosephM wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:11 am Allowing updates of the spices through the update manager is something that's been requested for quite a long time. Something I think a lot of users are going to be happy about.
You know, I never really paid any attention to this at all. I just get my theme from the theme manager and forget it. So this might be handy.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

MurphCID wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:16 am
JosephM wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:11 am Allowing updates of the spices through the update manager is something that's been requested for quite a long time. Something I think a lot of users are going to be happy about.
You know, I never really paid any attention to this at all. I just get my theme from the theme manager and forget it. So this might be handy.
A good number of the spice developers are very active. Bug fixes, additional features, translations, etc. It makes it much easier to keep them up to date from a user point of view.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
pic_man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pic_man »

Why does my recent update to 20.2 Uma , now the update manager (auto is off) 'Checking for Cinnamon Spice ! updates forever !
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, pic_man.

The answere is here: New Feature - Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, section titled "Update Manager".
Cinnamon updates
The Update Manager now supports Cinnamon spice updates (i.e. updates for applets, desklets, themes and extensions).
For more details, visit the linked page, please.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Karl, it does seem that the check for "spices" takes a lot longer than just regular updates, at least that is my perception.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, MurphCID.

I admit that I cannot comment on the speed or the lack of decent speed, caused by checking for updated Cinnamon spices.
I would supsect that the server(s) which are queried for updated Cinnamon spices reply too slowly. Lack of resources perhaps?

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

karlchen wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:23 am Hello, MurphCID.

I admit that I cannot comment on the speed or the lack of decent speed, caused by checking for updated Cinnamon spices.
I would supsect that the server(s) which are queried for updated Cinnamon spices reply too slowly. Lack of resources perhaps?

Regards,
Karl
Most likely. Not complaining, just commenting. Mint is magnificent, and many kudos to the developers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”