Forums reorganization

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Forums reorganization

Post by xenopeek »

rene wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:01 pmadding a "Sound" category [to Hardware Support], after which "Sound, Multimedia & Codecs" can be renamed "Multimedia & Codecs".
Looking at the Sounds, Multimedia & Codecs forum it looks to be almost entirely about sound issues. I think maybe we don't need a separate Multimedia & Codecs forum.
Terryphi wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:42 am I would like to see a 'Favourite Forums' option so that I can choose to only see forums of particular interest to me when selecting unread or new posts.
That's indeed not possible with phpBB. We might add the official phpBB extension that allows to collapse or hide forum sections. So on the board index page if you're not interested in for example the Chat section or in the International section you can collapse or hide them. But that doesn't affect unread posts or new posts view.
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 am I recommend that the "this is for quick to answer questions" [for the Beginner Questions forum] be given some thought because I think it's not going to work, and as I said, I think it will cause confusion.
We'll review how it goes. We don't want it to be more confusing than it was before. If that is the case yes we'll have to come up with a different forum description. I will give it some thought.
Samarian Sunset wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 am Only one thing, I sure wish we could have a Security/Privacy forum as a lot of Linux users are into both security/hardening and increasing privacy. Security and privacy often go hand in hand and not only include the OS but also browser choices & tweaks, VPNS, DNS configurations, file encryption, router & firewall hardening, etc, etc.
Questions about protection like VPNs, DNS, router & firewall hardening are found in the Networking forum. The others you mention in Software & Applications. Also in Chat forums and for disk/home dir encryption in Installation & Boot. I get that you suggest to have this concentrated in one forum. I personally think the ones I mentioned that are about protection fit in best with Networking because that's what they're about—Networking. And disk encryption with Installation & Boot. But that's my view. Choosing a browser for privacy, tweaking it for privacy or choosing a file encryption solution sounds to me like would be good subjects for writing a tutorial about? Or a topic in chat to discuss pros/cons of various options?

Would it make a difference if we'd rename Networking to Networking & Protection, to make more clear (as is in the forum description) that it's also the place for questions about firewalls and such?

I did a quick scan of what has been posted this year on the subjects you mention and I see a Transmission privacy question, a Mozilla VPN discussion, a ClamTK false positives question, a "which is the best" password manager discussion, a firewall howto question and a home dir encryption & TPM2 question. Not a lot of topics but some good back & forth on most. Perhaps I'm underestimating the number of topics there would be about this. I share the worry as others expressed about attracting security theater discussions.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I share the worry as others expressed about attracting security theater discussions.
Im tending to call it security "drama" at this point...lol...DAMIEN
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

xenopeek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:39 pm Looking at the Sounds, Multimedia & Codecs forum it looks to be almost entirely about sound issues. I think maybe we don't need a separate Multimedia & Codecs forum.
That seems fair enough. Those few unable to play DVDs after not installing the multimedia extensions (or what did Mint call that optional bit at install time...) the rest of the board can handle.

Please also no Networking & Protection. Even that name is already theater :)
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:39 pm Would it make a difference if we'd rename Networking to Networking & Protection, to make more clear (as is in the forum description) that it's also the place for questions about firewalls and such?
If one forced to rename Networking, I suppose Networking & Firewalls will be a little better, but maybe "Networking" alone with relevant forum description will be sufficient.

Regarding security or privacy threads, they are often of low quality for many reasons and their own forum may become a disadvantage. Security issues are naturally embedded in apps or system itself and can be dealt on site better.
-=t42=-
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:03 pm
I share the worry as others expressed about attracting security theater discussions.
Im tending to call it security "drama" at this point...lol...DAMIEN
I kind of think that way too Damien :)
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

xenopeek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:39 pm
Samarian Sunset wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 am Only one thing, I sure wish we could have a Security/Privacy forum as a lot of Linux users are into both security/hardening and increasing privacy. Security and privacy often go hand in hand and not only include the OS but also browser choices & tweaks, VPNS, DNS configurations, file encryption, router & firewall hardening, etc, etc.
Questions about protection like VPNs, DNS, router & firewall hardening are found in the Networking forum. The others you mention in Software & Applications. Also in Chat forums and for disk/home dir encryption in Installation & Boot. I get that you suggest to have this concentrated in one forum. I personally think the ones I mentioned that are about protection fit in best with Networking because that's what they're about—Networking. And disk encryption with Installation & Boot. But that's my view. Choosing a browser for privacy, tweaking it for privacy or choosing a file encryption solution sounds to me like would be good subjects for writing a tutorial about? Or a topic in chat to discuss pros/cons of various options?

Would it make a difference if we'd rename Networking to Networking & Protection, to make more clear (as is in the forum description) that it's also the place for questions about firewalls and such?

I did a quick scan of what has been posted this year on the subjects you mention and I see a Transmission privacy question, a Mozilla VPN discussion, a ClamTK false positives question, a "which is the best" password manager discussion, a firewall howto question and a home dir encryption & TPM2 question. Not a lot of topics but some good back & forth on most. Perhaps I'm underestimating the number of topics there would be about this. I share the worry as others expressed about attracting security theater discussions.
Thanks xenopeek for explaining. I'm happy with the new changes and I liked the board before too. I like that the forum is usually more friendly, that's one reason why I went with Mint as I heard this forum was a good one.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I kind of think that way too Damien :)
Great minds think alike...lol...DAMIEN
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

A real noticeable link that would go direct to the donations page would be good I think. Not with money grubbing in mind, but as a gentle message that's what really helps Mint develop and stay free.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Utterly irrelevant, but I believe Networking should move to above HW and VM to under DT&WM --- assuming that HW stays embedded in MAIN (where I still believe it's in fact a bit nicer as its own section just below MAIN and LMDE) and DT&WM likewise.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

How about a subtopic for browser related issues.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

How about a subtopic to discuss the discussion of discussing things?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Portreve wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:12 am How about a subtopic to discuss the discussion of discussing things?
What a discussting suggestion!
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

How about 2 categories. 1 - Questions about anything Mint and 2 - Chat. :mrgreen:
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

xenopeek wrote: ↑
Tue May 11, 2021 2:39 pm
Looking at the Sounds, Multimedia & Codecs forum it looks to be almost entirely about sound issues. I think maybe we don't need a separate Multimedia & Codecs forum.
I second this as sound (and bluetooth) tend to have its own little place in hell. Too bad we can't get the pulseaudio devs to moderate this as penance as they sure don't seem to care much about bug reports sent their way -lol. Also, it seems most hardware and driver stuff is really on the kernel and hardware vendor side.

Thanks for the spring cleaning, can't be an easy task
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”