Asian Fonts

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Asian Fonts

Post by JTemple »

@Pjotr
I am very grateful for the links in your signature. I followed up and learned how to remove all those useless, Asian, fonts! The endless list of useless fonts has a real PITA for me. I was so glad to be able to remove them! :D
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Asian Fonts

Post by t42 »

JTemple wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:04 pm I followed up and learned how to remove all those useless, Asian, fonts! The endless list of useless fonts has a real PITA for me. I was so glad to be able to remove them! :D
Strange, Linux Asian fonts may display thousands of characters of dozens of languages, it's quite an achievement especially comparing to the simple task of displaying 52 Latin letters. 'useless' is an obvious misdefinition here. Unless it is used in the offensively correlated statement.

N.B. Still Pjotr's advice is useful one here for those who want to gain a little space on their system partition.

Edit: Name correction, several phrases have been edited out.
Last edited by t42 on Mon May 17, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Isn't that nitpicking for no reason? 'Useless' quite clearly means 'of no use to me' here.
It's called a personal computer, we get to remove what we cannot use.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

'nitpicking' - it may be, but I don't feel it, (obviously, not a second language) text in question has emotional modifiers, that can be easily interpreted both ways. I deliberately refrain here from the examples of possible interpretation, as there is no need start a discussion.
-=t42=-
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Fair enough!
While we're paying attention to details: Pjotr's name is spelled Pjotr, not Piotr. :)

I've removed most Asian and other non-Latin fonts myself, not to gain space on my harddisk, but to lose the endless lists of font options in applications that let you choose a font.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

t42 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:17 am 'nitpicking' - it may be, but I don't feel it, (obviously, not a second language) text in question has emotional modifiers, that can be easily interpreted both ways. I deliberately refrain here from the examples of possible interpretation, as there is no need start a discussion.
Oh God. No woke stuff on this forum, please.

@JTemple: you're welcome. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I realise a lot of people here are not native English speakers and allowances should be made for that but saying something is "useless" always carries a pejorative, negative connotation and should definitely be avoided unless that is the intended meaning. It would be more polite and proper to say "which I do not need".

Saying "the German forum is useless" is a very different statement from "it is not useful to me because I do not understand German". The first implies it is of no use to anybody in any way.

And I am still not clear on how to remove fonts. So I guess this is a good place to ask.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

GS3 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 am I realise a lot of people here are not native English speakers and allowances should be made for that but saying something is "useless" always carries a pejorative, negative connotation and should definitely be avoided unless that is the intended meaning. It would be more polite and proper to say "which I do not need".
Which in this case, it clearly means in its context. Let's not let the insufferable thought police loose on this forum. Their divisive poison is already spreading much too widely elsewhere. :wink:
GS3 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 am And I am still not clear on how to remove fonts. So I guess this is a good place to ask.
This is how to get rid of that bloody truckload of Asian fonts, which are an irksome nuisance if you don't need them:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8
(item 8 )
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Pjotr wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:50 am
Which in this case, it clearly means in its context. Let's not let the insufferable thought police loose on this forum. Their divisive poison is already spreading much too widely elsewhere.
Well said Pjotr. The endless whining of those actively looking for offence is creeping ever closer.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
What was intended as a friendly thank-you thread has now turned into a soap box. Please stop.

JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

My deep apologies to all of the offended! I really did mean useless to me! In point of fact, there are plenty of English fonts I also find personally useless AND I am sure the abundance of English fonts are useless to all the Asian and non-English speakers. There are plenty of other default apps that I removed from LM as being useless TO ME. My gratitude to those that did understand what was truly meant by my OP.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Moem wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 am Fair enough!
While we're paying attention to details: Pjotr's name is spelled Pjotr, not Piotr. :)

I've removed most Asian and other non-Latin fonts myself, not to gain space on my harddisk, but to lose the endless lists of font options in applications that let you choose a font.
Whoops! Sorry Piotr. I don't always see so well without enlarging the screen resolution.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Moem wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:08 amMod note:
What was intended as a friendly thank-you thread has now turned into a soap box. Please stop.
As it has become obvious that not everybody is willing to stop a useless discussion on how to use the term "useless" appropriately in the social context of an international forum, the useful action will be taken to close this thread here and now. ... Clicks [Lock topic] and exits thread.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”