a thought on timeshift

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cavejug
Level 1
Level 1

a thought on timeshift

Post by cavejug »

Hi all,
I've been introduced to Linux the year Ubuntu 5.0 was realised... Since then, I've been 'battling' various issues, related to a steep learning curve.. I am glad, I've managed to overcome most, by investing in books and reading forums like this...Last 7-8 years I have settled on Mint, only to get the rug pulled in under me once some bright spark decided to drop KDE edition. It goes without saying, I get it for free and have no right to complain... Nevertheless, begrudgingly I've settled on Cinnamon, currently 20.1, always looking for something to replace KDE look and feel.. No joy thus far... The biggest disappointment right now is Timeshift.. Once it starts, walk away for 15 minutes, pull my hair out and wait for a hog to finish and give me access again... I do not believe there is a bigger dog of a program in Linux at this point in time...
There, I have vented my spleen in hope some will share a thought or two and point to some relief on this..
Thanks in an advance
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: a thought on timeshift

Post by trytip »

well i could tell you that my favorite was pclinux0s 2012 KDE4 which rolled out pretty well until some poor sap decided to stop nvidia-340 updates and then not soon after kde4 was dropped from support as kde5 came out. kde5 (plasma) has nothing on kde4 and now they all dropped kdesu (root GUI) because they say it's security risk
the way i see it it's a small step forward to make linux closed source like android. in a system where the end-user does not have full control over their root a lockdown is sure to follow.

timeshift has saved me at least 100+ times. the trick is to run it in live mode and have your snapshot directory in a HOME partition or external something.
the reason you are getting overworked about being a slave to timeshift is because you did not take control. take control and lower the schedule interval. i for one disabled schedule. i bet your timeshift is wasing a lot of hard drive space
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

cavejug wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:16 am I've been introduced to Linux the year Ubuntu 5.0 was realised... The biggest disappointment right now is Timeshift.. Once it starts, walk away for 15 minutes, pull my hair out and wait for a hog to finish and give me access again...
So don't use it. Work out a different method to restore your system if it breaks.

I don't use the darned thing, and nver have. It's for newcomers who don't know what a backup or an image is.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I use both timeshift and backintime running automatically on a daily basis. I rarely notice that they are running. Not high spec laptops - third gen i5's and ssd to 5400rpm hdd on a sata3 interface.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

cavejug wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:16 am The biggest disappointment right now is Timeshift.. Once it starts, walk away for 15 minutes, pull my hair out and wait for a hog to finish and give me access again... I do not believe there is a bigger dog of a program in Linux at this point in time...
If it takes 15 minutes to take a snapshot either you have it set up wrongly or your hardware is faulty. Timeshift is invaluable to me because I don't have to concern myself with restoration strategy and can use the time to do something more useful. If that makes me an eternal newcomer so be it. I am content to let the computer look after itself.
Cliff Coggin
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

If you're using Timeshift to backup your /home as well as your system, you're using it for a purpose it wasn't designed for. There are programs such as Back In Time and Lucky Backup that were designed to backup /home.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
cavejug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cavejug »

Hi all,
most grateful for responses from you guys.. I've changed the settings to just ONE monthly run. Never had anything selected but what default settings suggest... Thank you all again...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”