Curious - battery life has doubled!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Curious - battery life has doubled!

Post by iain_33 »

Currently running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on a 1-year-old Lenovo Y540 laptop, 17" screen

I installed Mint on the laptop almost straight away. Battery life has never been exceptional, I didn't really expect it with a 17 inch screen, but it's no problem having it plugged in because I never travel with it. From fully charged, I used to get about an hour and a half use from fully charged, until it was down to about 20% and I'd plug it in. Lately it had reduced to about an hour. Not particularly heavy use, just web browsing, photo browsing and Libre Office stuff.

However - all of a sudden, since some recent update, battery life is drastically better. My uptime at the moment is half an hour, charge is only down to 85%, and estimated over 2 hours remaining. It's not had that much life since I got it!

Curious if there's been some update lately (in the kernel I assume?) that's making things run much more efficiently?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
TD15

Re: Curious - battery life has doubled!

Post by TD15 »

I have read that a bug was found in the linux kernel related to PCIe ASPM that was fixed and is supposed to improve battery life.
Source: https://fossbytes.com/more-power-saving ... -aspm/amp/
The article is a year old, maybe it took some time to reach kernel 5.4?
Which kernel are you running?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”