What are the features that you think mint is missing?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TD15

Re: What are the features that you think mint is missing?

Post by TD15 »

revmacian wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:51 am The great thing about GNU/Linux is that it is as difficult or as easy as you make it to be.

Bash scripting: https://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Learning Python: https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers
Bookmarked the links for future use, thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Ok, I just thought of two things I wish Linux Mint had.

• An equivalent to Apple's Automator environment; and
• An equivalent to Apple's Spotlight
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

In Mint Xfce, the Custom Actions for Thunar to Right Click:

Share Folders
Resize Images
And one or two other 'very common' tools

And make the ability to run scripts easier to implement - as I think it used to be.

I know it is simple to write all these things - except the 'run scripts' thing. You need to know how to edit the 'secret'.

It is a pain in the neck to have to have to copy - paste all these things into files whenever Mint is installed onto a nother computer. Some of us have several computers in the family.

It would be so very simple to include them as a standard modification when the Xfce version of Mint is being prepared for release.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

One improvement I would like is to be able to access changelogs also via the History of Updates window in Update Manager. gm10 (you are missed) provided this function in his version Mint Update - browse the updates and right-click on one to view its changelog. Very handy.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

As each new version of Mint gets better and better,it gets harder to find issues to complain about.Just remind yourself why you came here in the first place.Keep in mind that even though you can make it look like any version of windows(or Mac),it only looks that way.There is still a learning curve finding the (mostly free) programs to do what you want to do,and learning how to maintain your system.(update,backup)
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

NoWinBob wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:15 am There is still a learning curve finding the (mostly free) programs to do what you want to do,and learning how to maintain your system.(update,backup)
Very true, and for some of us, that's where all the fun of the fair is; that and the satisfaction that comes with success.
NGRhodes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NGRhodes »

One little thing, I love panel intelli-autohide, I would to see some small few pixel deep overlay hints/peeping (lines, or dots or possibly a glow effect) to draw my attention to a pinned app that needs interaction or a new notification.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Easy - a snapshot tool like mx has.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

A small GUI observation in 19.3 Cinnamon that if the same in 20.x might be worthy of a tweak:

If I open System Settings and drag on the edges of the window to increase its size, then open one of the settings options, then hit the back arrow to return to the main window, it reverts back to the default size. It's not a big deal but just one of those small user experience things that could be nicer.

Basically it's hard to find things to complain about with Mint, still no harm striving for absolute excellence :)
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

deanr72 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:07 pm Easy - a snapshot tool like mx has.
Do you mean a 'system snapshot' tool? for backups?
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
InfoLibre
Level 2
Level 2

Post by InfoLibre »

- I would like 2 things :
- at work, easily add my Linux computer to a domain controller, in a few clicks. With an easy access to SMB Windows folder with Nemo.
- a graphical tools to easily calibrate scanner, screen and printers, using Displaycal etc. All these tools are incomplete, badly integrated (a melt between packages and binaries) and don't work together.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Not existential, but practical: in Fedora (34) the different modules of LibreOffice can be installed individually, e.g. only Writer and Draw.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:44 pm Not existential, but practical: in Fedora (34) the different modules of LibreOffice can be installed individually, e.g. only Writer and Draw.
If you don;t already have LibreOffice, or if you remove it from Mint, then open the Software Manager and search for the individual components, I think you will find you can install whichever components you need individually.

Likewise, if you already have the full LibreOffice install (from the repos - not from flatpak or Snap), if you open Software Manager and search for 'spreadsheet', you should see 'libreoffice-calc' If you click on libreoffice-calc, it should have a 'Remove' button and an 'Open' button.
The same applies for other bits.

That should let you easily slim down LibreOffice by removing bits you are unlikely to use.
You can just as easily add it back again if you need spreadsheet functions.

I think the easiest is probably to just uninstall Libreoffice and start again by just installing what you want from Software Manager.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

rossdv8 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:20 am ...
If you don;t already have LibreOffice...
Just, after the Mint installation, I have LibreOffice in all its glory - don't you?
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

absque fenestris wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:30 am
rossdv8 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:20 am ...
If you don;t already have LibreOffice...
Just, after the Mint installation, I have LibreOffice in all its glory - don't you?
I'm sorry, I only use Mint Xfce, and I thought you might be using Mate or Cinnamon. I have installed even other Linux distros in the past that didn;t include Libreoffice, so it was possible. . .

If your distro or your version of Mint includes Mint by default - the suggestion to uninstall it, then use Software manager to just install the individual parts you want might work.
Alternatively, perhaps opening Software manager and using the remove button for each of the bits you don't want.

Either should achieve your requirements.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

TD15 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:05 pmWhat do you think mint is missing?
Single large button in the middle of the screen "Do all the work perfectly" .
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

rossdv8 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:54 am
I guess it's more for cloning than backing up, but yes. I personalise my DE, create an iso, and install the exact copy onto my laptop - apps, passwords and all
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

BigEasy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:38 am
TD15 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:05 pmWhat do you think mint is missing?
Single large button in the middle of the screen "Do all the work perfectly" .
I've been working on this feature for years but still can't get it quite right :lol: Maybe in the next release!
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

deanr72 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:30 pm
rossdv8 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:54 am
I guess it's more for cloning than backing up, but yes. I personalise my DE, create an iso, and install the exact copy onto my laptop - apps, passwords and all
A bit like the 'SD Card Copier' in the Raspberry Pi OS? Copies a running Linux OS, partition table and all, to another disk and makes it bootable?
A lot of us have wanted that sort of utility in 'mainstream Linux distros for years . . Some of us have tried (and failed miserably) to use Disk Destroyer to do something like a full copy. Of everything. Bootable.

See here for a description:
https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

If it can be done on a MicroSD card, why not on a HDD or SDD? Indeed, there's a description about how to set it up to work on Debian - BUT - also the reasons it might not work on some systems.

Seems to me that it might be possible to have a Mint version, if there's a way around the fstab and Grub problems mentioned . . .
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

If you feel really adventurous, this thread details a few brave souls that got the MX snapshot tool to work on Debian. I know it's not Mint/Ubuntu, but at least there was some progress.

Would I recommend this? In a word - nope. :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”