What are the features that you think mint is missing?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TD15

What are the features that you think mint is missing?

Post by TD15 »

In my opinion, mint needs:
-A troubleshooter that helps newbies with simple and common issues.
-Shipping with graphics drivers preinstalled (or at least make it an option).
What do you think mint is missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: What are the features that you think mint is missing?

Post by LanceM »

Nothing missing. I appreciate it's not bloated. Your user name is a dozer:
TD15.jpg
TD15

Post by TD15 »

LanceM wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm Nothing missing. I appreciate it's not bloated. Your user name is a dozer: TD15.jpg
First time I know my username is a dozer :lol:, in fact it is an abbreviation of another username (or I would say Gamertag?)
Last edited by TD15 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

I have been using Mint since Mint 13 (Maya, Mate edition) and the only thing I can think of that is missing is the ability to have windows appear in the same location they were when they were closed. As far as I can tell, Hexchat is the only app that actually does this. Metacity used to do this by default and I loved it.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Different ranges of functionality come from very different places, particularly where GNU+Linux distros are concerned. From the perspective of a user sitting at a desktop, most things they see or interact with are upstream of the distro they're dealing with.

Honestly, any "deficiencies" I might think of have to do with individual programs, not the distro I'm running. I wish, for example, that Scribus was a lot closer to QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign in terms of the professionalism of the user interface. I could probably list about a dozen things, but you get my point.

If anything, Linux Mint (and all that it's built upon) exceeds my expectations.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:25 pm If anything, Linux Mint (and all that it's built upon) exceeds my expectations.
Totally agreed!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
TD15

Post by TD15 »

One thing I liked about Pop OS was that it comes with discrete graphics drivers preinstalled. It saves some time after setup, maybe mint should do it too?
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

TD15 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 pm One thing I liked about Pop OS was that it comes with discrete graphics drivers preinstalled. It saves some time after setup, maybe mint should do it too?
Or.. maybe you could use your time in Linux to learn and adapt.. perhaps write custom setup scripts to make a clean install easier? Doing a clean install here requires me to be in front of the computer for a total of 5 minutes, my custom bash/python scripts do almost all of the work while I go have lunch.

The great thing about GNU/Linux is that it is as difficult or as easy as you make it to be.

Bash scripting: https://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Learning Python: https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Gmak2442
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gmak2442 »

Games! At least some little.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Games have nothing to do with Linux Mint. Talk to the game programmers.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

Gmak2442 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 am Games! At least some little.
Most games are a waste of resources.. they rob us of time and effort that could be spent growing, learning and improving in areas that really matter in life. However, there are tons of games in the repos.. but we must be careful about what the games we play are teaching us - violence being the worst offender.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

revmacian wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 am
Most games are a waste of resources.. they rob us of time and effort that could be spent growing, learning and improving in areas that really matter in life. However, there are tons of games in the repos.. but we must be careful about what the games we play are teaching us - violence being the worst offender.
From an ethical point of view, your argument is correct, but it is just incredibly practical to have a well-trained pool of people who do not take the distinction between reality and fiction so precisely and who are nimble and reliable on the trigger.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:08 am
revmacian wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 am
From an ethical point of view, your argument is correct, but it is just incredibly practical to have a well-trained pool of people who do not take the distinction between reality and fiction so precisely and who are nimble and reliable on the trigger.
What we tolerate.. we perpetuate.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

revmacian wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:05 am [...
What we tolerate.. we perpetuate.
Unfortunately, neither you nor I are likely to be able to set any tolerance limits - which doesn't mean approving the usual ...
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm not exactly sure how this thread went from "What features do you feel are missing from Linux Mint" to "Games are a waste of time" but it does demonstrate the wide range of opinions and worldviews held by this community. :lol:

I'm not a gamer myself, but I am glad to hear about the efforts Valve has been putting into bringing gaming to GNU+Linux. It's definitely been a significant weakness for the platform; in many cases, it's been the major holdup for folks to switch.

This is something that's been talked about across far too many threads for me to try and hunt them down and post links here, but desktop GNU+Linux needs more replacement software for the commercial titles. Some things, like tax prep- or other financial software, is going to elude our grasp simply because it's about more than just the code; there's a lot of regulatory and other legal compliance which has to be handled. As for the graphic design industry, even though we have Darktable, Scribus, GIMP, and Inkscape, those tools still need a fair amount of development and iteration before they're truly ready to go toe to toe with Adobe's and Quark's (and others') products. Where a GNU+Linux tax prep program requires strict compliance with tax law, Scribus and the rest need full support for the standards used in the graphic design/desktop publishing/printing industry. GIMP in particular needs full CMYK support.

All the anti-Linux FUD of today reminds me of the anti-Macintosh FUD of the 80s and early 90s, and that took several changes of corporate management to address. GNU+Linux is a very different animal, and so are the community and the circumstances within which it exists. The best thing for it is to take away everything even quasi-legitimately bad one can say about it, and educate the public on why we need to reassert there being a community, along with (and perhaps even by way of) the value and desirability of peer-reviewable code.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

I installed Mint 20.2 Cinnamon in VirtualBox last Sunday - I am simply thrilled. Critically switching between Windows 10 and Mint 20.2, Linux Mint makes the significantly more professional impression on me. Just the comparison between Nemo and the File Explorer or whatever that thing is called.
And now Nemo with a content search that actually works!
The new Mint is a lot of fun, especially Scribus (greetings to Portreve) runs much better than before, and looks quite good now.

The only flaw is the Cinnamon Menu, which can easily be replaced by the Cinnamenu applet.

Another bug is not directly related to Mint: for some time now, broken fonts have been installed - old classics that should either be replaced or patched. The Font Manager is mandatory and should be included in the basic installation, e.g. instead of the impossible Draw...
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Simple. A simple...GUI...mouse scroll wheel speed adjuster program ( just as easily implemented...I hope..as the gui way to adjust refresh rate within " Display " )

Until then, the only consistently working one I know of is this >>> https://io.bikegremlin.com/11541/linux- ... oll-speed/
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

While there are options that are easy to install, I think having a clipboard manager would be a good thing to include out-of-the-box.
ScottS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ScottS »

I would like to see flatpak and non-flatpak versions of software that are listed in the Software Store shown together. As it is, they are listed separately. I prefer the Flatpak versions because they are almost always more up-to-date, but I find myself constantly installing the non-Flatpak versions first, and then later discovering that there is a Flatpak version listed elsewhere.
TD15

Post by TD15 »

revmacian wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:51 am The great thing about GNU/Linux is that it is as difficult or as easy as you make it to be.

Bash scripting: https://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Learning Python: https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers
Bookmarked the links for future use, thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”