What is your failure rate working with Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: What is your failure rate working with Mint?

Post by RollyShed »

Of near 40 installation and a decade of using Mint Cinnamon I can't think of any problems.

If there were any they were because of experimentation to find out how odd things might work. Day to day work, no problems.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Running Mong on 2 machines , one for 6 year and the other for 1 year, there are absolutely no problems. Fund as smith as silk. I have been upgrading from Mint 17 to 20.2 Cinnamon , no fresh install for past 6 year.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

No failure rates regarding Mint itself so far, but trying to run some of my old Windows applications via PlayOnLinux gives me mixed results.

The graphics programs themselves - Ulead PhotoImpact and Photoshop CS2 - run well, but their respective auxilliary programs (Gif Animator and ImageReady) fail completely.
Luckily I can do most of my work with Gimp, including animations via the GAP plugin. The proprietary programs are still needed every now and then, but final polish and assembly is now always done in Gimp.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Tolayon wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:27 pm No failure rates regarding Mint itself so far, but trying to run some of my old Windows applications via PlayOnLinux gives me mixed results.
I fixed that problem by taking AndyMH's advise and purchased CrossOver www.codeweavers.com

I now have my official and Licensed copy of MS Office Pro running in Linux/CrossOver

CrossOver menu.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:35 pm I fixed that problem by taking AndyMH's advise and purchased CrossOver www.codeweavers.com
Not free, but you get what you pay for :D . It is the commercial version of wine, easier to install, easier to install win applications. They have a database of what works (or has been tested) and for the mainstream stuff have tweaked the install to make it run or run better than with wine.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

axrusar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:21 pm ...
I have been using Mint for 6 Months already and i use the computer to do work.
Your description of all the pitfalls and disappointments when changing the operation system is not limited to MS Windows and GNU/Linux: When Apple switched from MacOS 9 to the completely different OSX at the time, I had exactly the same problems: nothing worked properly - neither that new graphics programs, still all the accumulated devices - I was upset and wished the new system the hell.

The transition took at least two years before I found satisfactory solutions for myself.

Ultimately, devices and operating systems of all kinds were gathered in my studio - there was the graphics-heavy Apple branch, the GNU/Linux branch was responsible for scanners and printers via Ubuntu Studio and hard drive repairs via Debian and MS Windows was there for control purposes before the data was passed on.
The whole studio was politically incorrect, so to speak, if one wanted to act according to the standards of certain dogmatists ...

In my private life and independent of the studio, I ended up at Linux Mint around 2010 and have been using it ever since.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

axrusar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:21 pm ... IMHO, i can say this is not a "professional" / "stable" / "productive" DESKTOP system by any means and i highly doubt there is any distro out there that is even close to this territory.

So what are your experiences?...
I've been using just Linux for years and I have NEVER had any of the issues in the OP.

WHat I see here on the forum all the time is problems caused by the user. Largely because they don't know how to read instructions properly. Like all those guys who paint the house when the max temp is 10deg C when the directions on the can say the temp has to be minimum 10. And then complain about how bad the paint was.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

based on the issues given in the OP my stats would be

faliure rate:

LMDE = 1 - required harddrive install to use/fix wifi solution/problem

Cinnamon = 2 - graphical and loading time issues (systems seem to be to slow and/or like windows 10 hates certain video cards

XFCE = 3 - (1) failed to load amdgpu driver on a ryzen 5 3400g (was installed but not loaded), (2) glitchy graphics required to go into recovery mode then boot normal to get usable gui.

success rate:

LMDE = 1 - just required install to get wifi working, but having issues with steam proton games.

Cinnamon = 1 worked out of the box (Ryzen 5 3400g) no issues

XFCE = 1 provided it stays on the 5.4.26 kernel

probably should add:

the ryzen 5 3400g system can no longer even re-install windows 10.

think due to updates with windows 10 on the amd fx8320 (like what happened with win7 backported updates from win10 making it frustrating on purpose to make you upgrade your hardware).

think i'll stick with mint for awhile.
Luke Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luke Johnson »

I've just had a Mint live session freeze. Nothing I tried helped. Had to turn off the power. I don't think I was doing anything experimental.

Once before it freaked out and I had to restart the session, probably because of Firefox.

I sure hope things will be better when I install.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Luke Johnson wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:59 pm I've just had a Mint live session freeze. Nothing I tried helped. Had to turn off the power. I don't think I was doing anything experimental.

Once before it freaked out and I had to restart the session, probably because of Firefox.

I sure hope things will be better when I install.
Create a new thread for this problem.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

I've been using Linux Mint as my primary distro since Linux Mint 13 (Maya), so around 9 years. I've used Mint on many computers and have had no issues anywhere until recently, but that is due to a specific app crashing on a regular basis. I have been using Kdenlive from an app image, because the repo version is ancient (speaking of Kdenlive's feature set), and it crashes. Otherwise I'm in love with this wonderful distro and will likely use it the rest of my life.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Total failure, It won't load any disk I try on an HP desktop. Would a drop from about 15 feet on to a concrete floor have caused a problem? Dropped without the disks installed ... Could it have a problem? :mrgreen:

Oddly also the insulation, for some reason, falling off the black wires taking power to the disks. The other colours are OK. And no, the fall would not have caused that. :shock:
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have had a few hardware issues that were easily remedied with a missing driver, changing a setting or editing a file somewhere. In all cases it has been the folks on this forum who provided the solutions. As for the 6 to 8 folks plus myself that I have installed Mint for; once up and running no issues. The only exception is when I have gone all "monkey with a machine gun at the mall" back when I was curious and learning linux but they were all self inflicted issues. I have since learned to do my experimenting in a VM.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Hundreds of installs with many performing online upgrades through several major releases. I had one major failure and that was recoverable without re-install. Other than that, all are working without issue for many years. Use of these range from your average user that just surfs the web to hardcore coding, music/video editing, gaming, and more. Several laptops (Lenovo/HP/Dell/Asus/Acer etc., Chromebooks, desktops of all brands and custom builds like mine, virtual machines (ESXi/Virtualbox/VMware, even a few as servers (though most are Ubuntu Server or RHEL), VM and real hardware. Almost all are Cinnamon but a few are Mate. I generally run new/bleeding edge hardware as well.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My issues were pretty much all self inflicted. The only other issue was with the Darter Pro and the 4 series kernels which the Coreboot firmware DID NOT LIKE. Once I went to a 5 series kernel, things were better, not perfect, but better. I tinker, and so as such I zorch my system (the Darter) on a regular basis. So far Mint has been as perfect as I can ask for an operating system. And it does not use Gnome which IMHO sucks badly. Cinnamon is darn near perfect (for me), and I have not tried the XFCE version in any detail. But I am also the noobiest of noobs as well.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

axrusar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:21 pm
IMHO, i can say this is not a "professional" / "stable" / "productive" DESKTOP system by any means and i highly doubt there is any distro out there that is even close to this territory.

So what are your experiences?
I think you've seen that there are many who don't agree with that statement.

I've used Linux Mint since version 9 "Isadora", over a decade now, and have NEVER had one single crash / freeze in that time. Linux could NOT BE more "stable". I rarely reboot either, once a week to once a month, and sometimes longer. My last windows OS was lucky to get through one day without a freeze.

Code: Select all

rick@t420 ~ $ uptime
 23:28:03 up 8 days,
As far as "professional, and productive" for much of that decade I ran a small business with Linux (no windows backup). Wrote invoices with Libre Office, kept ledgers, built, and maintained a website, etc. So yes it is professional and productive.

I've installed it on 2 Acers, and a half dozen Thinkpads. There was an over-heating problem on the first Acer, but a short piece of code fixed that. With the exception of that one small issue, my Linux life has been hassle free. You never mentioned your hardware.

I don't like to "advertise" this, but I don't do updates often either. I do have lots of backup though, still have all 6 thinkpads.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I've used Linux Mint since version 9 "Isadora", over a decade now, and have NEVER had one single crash / freeze in that time.
About 30 minutes ago I had a complete lockup on Mint 20.2 Xfce on a BRIX (Celery with 8GB Ham).
However it was downloading files at about 870mbps divided between about a dozen sites and uploading at about 40mbps.
I think what upset it was when I tried to edit video at the same time :(
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Talking about lockups ...

I wouldn't call that a real failure myself, but once I had a fishy site open in Firefox, which ran a script (or several scripts?) that gobbled up all available memory plus more. I have 4 Gigs of ram and 2 Gigs swap file, but for some reason Firefox's ressource hunger was shown to require 8 Gigs altogether!

Thankfully I managed to descend into a TTY (even if that took a while) and via Htop I was able to kill off Firefox.
Yes, I could have simply typed "sudo killall firefox" as well, but I'm used to Htop and it also gives me additional information before I proceed killing proccesses.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

rickNS wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:43 pm I don't like to "advertise" this, but I don't do updates often either. I do have lots of backup though, still have all 6 thinkpads.
Neither do I, can't quite match you on thinkpads, only got five!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Tolayon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:59 pm I wouldn't call that a real failure myself, but once I had a fishy site open in Firefox, which ran a script (or several scripts?) that gobbled up all available memory plus more. I have 4 Gigs of ram and 2 Gigs s
my pc got 4 GB ram, with the standard 2 GB swap it didnt take many Firefox tabs to get the system to grind to a halt. Increasing swap to 4 , then 6 GB , now I can run 25 tabs insteat of 4-5

As for failures, 4 pcs with mint - no failures. Some minor glitches.
Had 1 or 2 freezes/reboots on my Lenovo Yoga2 laptop. But it had similar crashes (only more often) when it ran windows. So I suspect the hardware and not the OS

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”