Mint 18.1 64bit XFCE support

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
terrybull
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.1 64bit XFCE support

Post by terrybull »

I am using Mint 18.1 XFCE 64 bit. I have not had any indication but can someone tell me, has support for this version ended.
Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 18.1 64bit XFCE support

Post by sleeper12 »

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You need to install a newer version, and do more regular updates. You can't have been doing them because you would have had an indication that support had ended by now.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Actually, the check for EOL and the notification to the user that the OS release, which is in use, is about to reach the end of its supported life, has been introduced no sooner than in Linux Mint 19.2.

Cf. New features in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Search for the text line below, please:
New features in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon wrote:
  • A warning is shown 90 days before your version of Linux Mint reaches End-Of-Life.
To the best of my knowledge, this check and notification has never been backported to Linux Mint 18.x. At least, I cannot remember having read such a notification in January or February 2021 on any of my LM 18.1 systems. And they all received their repo software updates regularly till the middle of May 2021.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
terrybull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by terrybull »

Thanks. I do update and do not recall an end of life notification. It is a desktop system that is not in daily use which I always update when I do use it, maybe every other week but sometime a few weeks not used. Is a fresh install of an updated version the best way t go or can I do an upgrade which would obviously save a lot of reinstallation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, terrybull.

An in-place upgrade from Linux Mint 18.1 to a recent release can be a long way to go, in several separate upgrade steps.
This depends on which release will be your final target release.
Based on xenopeek's overview here, Upgrade Instructions, the separate upgrade steps would be: Depending on what your final target release will be, a fresh installation of the final release may be less time consuming and less complicated in the end.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”