Cinnamon DE on Funtoo, and the possibilities for LMDE5

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Cinnamon DE on Funtoo, and the possibilities for LMDE5

Post by Moonstone Man »

Just for the heck of it, today I installed Funtoo's Cinnamon remix in a VM from a stage 3 tar ball. The online instructions take you through everything, step by step. I was quite pleased to see Funtoo boot into the Cinnamon DE but it looks so 1990s because it uses Gnome 2 icons. It's really, really ugly however it is fixable. It's a shame that a little more thought wasn't put into Cinnamon's presentation.

The very first thing I did when Cinnamon came up was to look for the terminal as I was going to inspect a few things. I couldn't find a terminal anywhere in the Cinnamon menu. When I decided to try 'Open terminal here', both on the desktop and in nemo, absolutely nothing happened. Of course, it's running in a VM so the route to the linux console was blocked; CTRL+ALT+F2 will just trigger the console on the host. I went back through the instructions and double-checked that I hadn't missed anything. No mention of installing a terminal anywhere. So, there goes that idea. I wasn't prepared to start all over again and emerge mate-terminal or any other terminal. Talk about an oversight...

On a much brighter note, I also installed Debian Bullseye today on a spare SSD, also just for the heck of it. I'm very impressed with Debian Bullseye. It's slick and quick, and it runs on modern hardware using kernel 5.10. If Bullseye is anything to go by, LMDE5, if it ever happens, will be a beauty.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”