hot off the press: a linux mint success story

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

hot off the press: a linux mint success story

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

hello all!

i just want to share with the community how linux mint saved the day for a friend. i got permission from her to repost what she wrote in her blog:
Saturday, November 7, 2009
Linux ROCKS!
Many know what kind of problems I have been having with my computer since I got it back from the technicians. The latest is my slave drive. For the last few weeks I have been trying, without luck, to recover my files from it. Every time I would boot the computer up with both master and slave installed, it would say error loading OS. I was running Windows XP on the master, with no OS on the slave. I tried switching jumper pins, moving the slave drive into an external usb enclosure, a boot manager, everything I, and several others, could think of. I even downloaded a trial version of a program called Getdataback, which could actually see the files. The only problem with the recovery program was cost. In order to move those files I had to buy an $80 license key, which I was loathe to do. So a friend of mine suggested trying a Linux live cd. He suggested Linux Mint, which he uses at his cafe. (thank you Anton!) IT WORKED! Not only could I see the files, but I could also transfer them to a flash drive, and it didn't cost a single cent! Why didn't I just burn them directly off the drive using Linux you ask? Quite simple, I only have 1 dvdburner, and the Linux Live cd was in it. I'm still not sure what exactly happened to the drive, and right now I don't particularly care anymore. I only have to get my music off the slave drive yet, everything else has already been moved. Then I will format it. (if it will let me)
her blog entry is found here.

at first, she tried ubuntu. unfortunately, it only went as far as the o/s booting up, but it never landed her on the desktop (graphics card issues). so i asked her to try mint instead, since it's more polished and the developers did an amazing job of simply making it better.

and now, the rest is history.

a big hip-hip-hooray! for linux and mint!
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: hot off the press: a linux mint success story

Post by DrHu »

We like success, and we like to see that choices do exist

metroid_maniac
Level 3
Level 3

Re: hot off the press: a linux mint success story

Post by metroid_maniac »

Live CD FTW