The new website is looking good

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

The new website is looking good

Post by mshmm »

The new https://linuxmint.com/ is showing for me now 8)

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 11-25-44 Home - Linux Mint.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: The new website is looking good

Post by xenopeek »

You were really fast, it was just put online :) If anybody spots any problems, let us know.
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 am You were really fast, it was just put online :)
They don't call me Speedy Gonzales for nothing :wink: (in fact they don't call me Speedy Gonzales at all :mrgreen:).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Is that italic serif font (the one used in Why choose Linux Mint? meant to be there? It clashes with the other fonts like whoa.
I like everything else about the new site, so this really stands out for me.
Screenshot from 2021-09-15 13-44-57.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, the italics are part of the new design.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am Yes, the italics are part of the new design.
Oof. I would have chosen a sans-serif. Probably an italics version of the regular font.
I was pretty convinced that I was seeing a fallback typeface. But if you say these were meant to be there, well...

Still, there is a big improvement overall. That, too, needs to be said. It looks a lot fresher, the text is inviting and clear.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

Moem wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:10 am
xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am Yes, the italics are part of the new design.
Oof. I would have chosen a sans-serif. Probably an italics version of the regular font.
I was pretty convinced that I was seeing a fallback typeface. But if you say these were meant to be there, well...

Still, there is a big improvement overall. That, too, needs to be said. It looks a lot fresher, the text is inviting and clear.
Yes, the italic serif headings do look a little out of place.

But overall it's a real improvement on the old website design.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I checked in with the team; putting the site side-by-side with current italics font and sans-serif italics font doesn't convince it's better with sans-serif. Perhaps a little bit easier to read but the italics font is selected to stand out, to be different.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:34 am I checked in with the team
Thank you for taking the time to do that!

Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:34 am I checked in with the team; putting the site side-by-side with current italics font and sans-serif italics font doesn't convince it's better with sans-serif. Perhaps a little bit easier to read but the italics font is selected to stand out, to be different.
It's a great improvement and good step forward for LM.

If you're in touch with Clem and the team xenopeek I'd have one suggestion:

Down in the footer where the links are (with headers 'Quick Links' 'Info' and 'Support') maybe make those headers a different colour to the links below - maybe Mint green. I know they're bold asis, but just to make them stand out as not links themselves.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 am You were really fast, it was just put online :) If anybody spots any problems, let us know.
Small one. On the 'About Linux Mint' page there's a section at the top of the footer that randomly shows three different sponsors.
One of those has a link to a dead Instagram page : https://www.instagram.com/abdomination1/

It's titled Avery Tarasov "Chr0meiCe2".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've passed on both remarks. For the dead instragram page, the sponsors configure their own links.
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Egorama »

Looks sharp!
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed
Jonathan_Steadman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jonathan_Steadman »

I truly agree.
The website look amazing and more modern.
It also has better support for using the site on Mobile.
I think its cool.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I think this is going to help LM in the search results. If I do a search for 'linux operating system' in Google.ie it was appearing at the bottom of page 2 earlier and came in at 2nd place on that page at one point. It normally takes a while for these types of improvement to have an effect so it's looking good. Google have definitely cached the new content as it's appearing in the associated descriptions. (IIRC, on the old site that same search used to show LM somewhere late on page 3, or even 4.).

It's probably a combination of speed, good content, responsive layout, better structured HTML etc and will likely fluctuate for a while, but the main thing (here at least) is that there's not many other distros coming in above it. Will be interesting to see where it settles in the results over the next few weeks. Other internet users are probably more likely to link to it now as well, so that will also have an effect over time.

It'll vary across different google regions (.com .co.uk etc), but appears very positive so far.
Massmo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Massmo »

The new website is awesome and I'm so glad it's finally online. I've been excited to see what it'll look like and I'm really impressed with it. Great job :D
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I love the new website, very professional looking!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I agree, the new site looks very nice. A huge change from the old one.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I commented on this forum some time ago that it would be nice if the means to help financially support Mint was easier to find on the website.

LOVE the Donate Button with the big white background !! I also like that it is so easy to find the way to make a PayPal donation.

I wonder if it will encourage more of us to shift some spare change that way. :D
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Wow! I like it, it really looks nice to me. All the help links should help people to try/install it. They will still have a learning curve but as always they have great people waiting with baited breath to help them and great Moderators on the forum. I cannot see how anyone can go wrong with Mint.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”