The new website is looking good

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BeyondLies_MintForum
Level 3
Level 3

The new website - good, but . .

Post by BeyondLies_MintForum »

There's much that is good about the new website. For instance, the new logo looks good. Here, though, is some criticism of the main webpage.

1) The '"Uma"' confuses.
2) The white text on the green background has insufficient contrast.
2) The black text on white has (to a lesser extent) insufficient contrast.
3) The 'web' box gives the false impression of being clickable.
4) The first and third claims in, 'It works, it's safe and it doesn't break' perhaps exaggerate how good things are. It would give less of a hostage to fortune to have: 'It works well and it is safe.'
5) 'Linux Mint stands on the shoulder of giants, it is based on Debian and Ubuntu.' That sentence is ungrammatical. Commas cannot conjoin clauses that could stand on their own as independent sentences (and failure to observe that grammatical nicety can lead to imprecision).
6) The conjunction of 'Have any questions?' with, 'Fun, helpful and passionate' confuses.
7) There is a scope ambiguity in 'Linux users are often welcoming, helpful and eager to share their experience.' (For, just what does the 'often' apply to?)
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged here
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: The new website is looking good

Post by AZgl1800 »

yes, it is a fresh new design that should attract more dissatisfied Windows users.

Kudos to the team that put that together.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Website is nice just several small things can be modified a little.

One question - why in Links Github is located under the Social column.
-=t42=-
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Like the new look.
Looks less like something from the mid 2000s
Are the forums going to get an update?
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
chavic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chavic »

Grayfox wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:32 am Like the new look.
Looks less like something from the mid 2000s
Are the forums going to get an update?
I don't think that's gonna happen soon, the forum works and help people to find topics of interest and help, but a dark theme could be something cool
Desktop: MATE 1.26.0
Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

chavic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:07 pm
Grayfox wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:32 am Are the forums going to get an update?
I don't think that's gonna happen soon, the forum works and help people to find topics of interest and help
Giving them a slightly different look would not change that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

chavic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:07 pm but a dark theme could be something cool
Its not professional looking, but so far it works for me.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
chavic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chavic »

Grayfox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:16 pm Its not professional looking, but so far it works for me.
https://userstyles.world/api/style/preview/1145.webp
Yeah I saw your dark theme in other post, it looks so cool
Moem wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:12 pm Giving them a slightly different look would not change that.
I know but at least a refreshing theme is not a bad idea it brings another color for us
Desktop: MATE 1.26.0
Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

@ Grayfox

I like your dark theme look for the Mint forums. Unless I missed it, where did you get your dark theme from?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

Night Wing wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 am @ Grayfox

I like your dark theme look for the Mint forums. Unless I missed it, where did you get your dark theme from?

Made it.
It is currently v1.5b
Working on 1.6b

Somethings dont look right.

Once I get all rules done.
I will redo it and try to stick to some normality where colors are more consistent through out the forum as a whole.

But the theme requires the Stylus extension.
Theme can be obtained from here and you can also view the RAW CSS code too, I left a huge amount of comments on each rule so if you want to tweak it, you can as each comment gives you an idea of what it controls.
https://userstyles.world/style/1145/dar ... orums-beta
redcarrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redcarrot »

Dear linuxmint team members

Great job on the website!

Just one tiny suggestion. There is a mention that some parts are not open source (most parts are).
It would put users at ease to know if there is any proprietary software being used. Maybe a small link could be added.

Once again great job! Looks really professional

Regards.
LINUX FAN
Replies may be delayed due to different time zone
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

redcarrot wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:19 amif there is any proprietary software being used.
That depends entirely on the choices you yourself make. Did you buy a computer with devices that don't work without loading closed source firmware? It can be the case Linux Mint (through Ubuntu or Debian package bases) has that firmware and if so it will load it on computers with those devices so that they may work. Do you need some programs despite them being closed source — like Spotify, Skype, Dropbox or Minecraft — some such are installable through Software Manager as a convenience. It's entirely up to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Looks really nice. Great job guys! I also like the post above with the darker forum. But well done.
Mintmann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mintmann »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 am You were really fast, it was just put online :) If anybody spots any problems, let us know.
Why do we have to have another log in for the Community?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Websites are on separate servers, don't share a database.
treysis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by treysis »

I am deeply missing IPv6 support. Why was it not added?
☮🕊 Stop the war against Ukraine 🇺🇦!
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 am You were really fast, it was just put online :) If anybody spots any problems, let us know.
It seems to be working well.

I'm not a fan of modern UI design, but that's about it.

IMHO, a UI or web page should be:
- Desktop focused (no compromises for mobile browsing
- Information dense (no big open dead space, or large buttons for fat fingers. Don't waste screen real estate)
- No animations, transitions or "click to reveal" type of menus.
- Avoid flat squares or tiles. Lists are always a far superior way of organizing information.
- High contrast for clarity (way too much of the web these days are using subtle shade differences and its is really dumb)

In a world where UI and web design is going to hell in a hand-basket, at least the Mint site remains usable, which is more than can be said for most others.

I often look to the Debian project for good website design. They keep it simple, low bandwidth and very very usable. The latest version over there has more dead space and bigger buttons than I would like (damn touchscreen compatible bullshit) but is otherwise near perfect. I think the mistake too many make is trying to look pretty and impressive, when basic and simple is usually best.

I would like to get my hands on whoever out there is teaching modern UI design though. I'd give them a piece of my mind for sure. They are instructing students of user interfaces to do everything in the absolute opposite way than what maximizes usability.

I mean, don't get me wrong. The new one is WAY more aesthetically pleasing, but the old one was superior in every other regard. Usability, simplicity, bandwidth/data use, you name it.
Last edited by mattlach on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

treysis wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 am I am deeply missing IPv6 support. Why was it not added?
IPv6 is assigned to you by your provider but fact of the matter is few places have it as you still need IPv4 for legacy support.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

treysis wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 am I am deeply missing IPv6 support. Why was it not added?
IPV6 definitely solves the IPV4 exhaustion problem, but IMHO in every other way it is a serious downgrade from IPV4.

I wish we could just throw it out and start over from scratch. I have never in my life seen as serious of a design fail as IPV6.

I would do it over with a -h option to make it human readable.

It was clear we needed more IP addresses, but we didn't need more IP addresses than there are atoms on earth, either today or in any conceivable future. I would have kept it human readable, instead of the hexadecimal mess it is. Maybe just add another 8-bit octet to IPV4 and calling it a day?

Also, I would absolutely have kept NAT. Making every device on planet earth 1:1 is more of a problem than it solves and breaks all kinds of current privacy and security designs.

Some may find it annoying, but I for one LOVE having my private LAN on a separate IP address range.

I have disabled IPV6 on my network. I am also trying to firewall off any and all IPV6 tunneling protocols so absolutely nothing IPV6 works on my network, but this is much more difficult unfortunately.

Until I am literally forced to use it by remote sites becoming inaccessible, I will fight IPV6 with all that I am worth.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

For shits and giggles check out some historical mint websites here:

First Design (October 2006)

Functional but a bit basic :p

Second Design (December 2006)

Boilerplate, but nicer!

Third Design (also December 2006)
Third Design (October 2007 with More content)

Still a bit boilerplate, but even nicer!

Fourth Design (October 2007)

The recent one we know and love (wow, it was around for 14 years!)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”