The future of Linux mint after Ubuntu goin snap?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oneuser
Level 1
Level 1

The future of Linux mint after Ubuntu goin snap?

Post by oneuser »

Hello there, i was wondering because ubuntu packages are goin to be snap only, for instance firefox recently will go snap only, so if someday ubuntu will totally swithc to snaps, will linux mint follow or go debian? Thanks, i'm kinda worried :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: The future of Linux mint after Ubuntu goin snap?

Post by JoeFootball »

oneuser wrote: ... because ubuntu packages are goin to be snap only ..
I don't think all Ubuntu packages are going to be Snap, and I don't think Linux Mint will ever adopt Snap as its default.
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

Mint firmly opposes snap, so it can be expected it won't move to it anytime soon. In the short term, I doubt that the Mint team will take over the Firefox packaging, once Canonical stops doing it. They did not for Chromium. Otherwise, Mint may decide to adopt the flatpak version of Firefox.

For the longer term, where Ubuntu may move to Snap for the majority of its default applications, Mint could go the flatpak route, or go to its plan B, i.e. stop building on Ubuntu and directly build on Debian instead.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

All those bits of app software moving to snap isn not because of Ubuntu. It's the app developers themselves. They're sick of having to deal with no cnonsistent packaging systems and no API stability. Generally these app developers aren't getting paid for it, they have other paying jobs, and it's diffficult to get programmers to do proper maintenance without paying them to do it. Maintenance is really drudgery. So expect more snaps/flatpaks/appimages.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
oneuser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oneuser »

So i guess eventually the base system will be based upod (modified) .deb files while apps gonna be snap if i got it right?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Heretic here, I LIKE flatpaks.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:14 pm Heretic here, I LIKE flatpaks.
Same here. My only real issue with flatpaks is there seems to be more out-of-date packages than there used to be, which is one of its biggest selling points when I first started using them a couple of years ago.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ajgringo619 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:14 pm Heretic here, I LIKE flatpaks.
Same here. My only real issue with flatpaks is there seems to be more out-of-date packages than there used to be, which is one of its biggest selling points when I first started using them a couple of years ago.
I noticed the same thing lately.
chavic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chavic »

But having a few apps in snap version, that is not going to consume more HD space , isn't? :?:
Desktop: MATE 1.26.0
Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera

vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

Having apps as snap and flatpak will require more disk space. However, this is only in the order of some hundreds of megabytes, not a real concern on the vast majority of systems nowadays.
Hoser Rob wrote: It's the app developers themselves.
. Not sure. Many developers publish their source code. That's it. Imagine Canonical, however. Instead of having to package Firefox upon each new upstream release *and* for all their supported releases, they comfortably check whether Mozilla had the new Snap correctly in place, and all of their platforms are served.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

vanadium wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:27 amThey did not for Chromium.
They bought a powerful build server so that Mint can ship Chromium natively, and that machine could probably be used for building FF as well.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Linux Mint already maintains its own versions of Firefox, as well as Chromium.

Edit: For example ...

http://packages.linuxmint.com/search.ph ... rd=firefox

http://packages.linuxmint.com/search.ph ... d=chromium
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

So indeed Mint is thoroughly prepared.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

Also heretic. I side with the developers and consistency. Disk space is cheap.

P.S. I have Snaps, Appimages and Flatpak's on my system. And I respect the choices that the various developers have had to make regarding their packaging choices
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:57 am Here is something to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WRiI1nk8Q and then here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQmE24Bzzs
Thanks for sharing this. It's informed, clear, and I think Jay LaCroix is practical in his assessment that Universal apps are the future of Linux.

In case you want to cut to the chase, people should go to his summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQmE24Bzzs&t=1485s
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

PurpleGhost wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 pm Mint must become a debian version. Ubuntu has taken a totally wrong turn.
i am totally agree!
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

PurpleGhost wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 pmMint must become a debian version. Ubuntu has taken a totally wrong turn.
LMDE is already there so that Mint has an option if Canonical becomes unbearable.
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

I also think that snap will be the umpteenth failure of Canonical, after unity.
by installing snaps packages, the boot time of the system becomes very long, and the more you install, the situation gets worse. A real disaster. I have been using LMDE4 for a few months, after using MXlinux for a while. before i had done 8 years with ubuntu, abandoned after the advent of unity. now with snapd the situation is getting even worse. many users are complaining. I have left ubuntu and I am very happy with a debian-based one. I love LMDE4. For me too Mint should be based entirely on debian! maybe on the testing branch if they want more up-to-date software. it being understood that the stable branch is fantastic, incredible stability, never a problem.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

PurpleGhost wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 pm Mint must become a debian version. Ubuntu has taken a totally wrong turn.
Rubbish, Ubuntu is supporting developers, which is what is needed in Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”