Can the Snap/Ubuntu drama affect Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rayser
Level 3
Level 3

Can the Snap/Ubuntu drama affect Linux Mint?

Post by Rayser »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Can the Snap/Ubuntu drama affect Linux Mint?

Post by JoeFootball »

Mint doesn't use Snap by default, nor would I expect it to be implemented as such in the future.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I already had the impression that for Ubuntu the desktop, not being a money maker but rather a money sink, has a *cough* low priority. Understandably so, because a company needs to make money in order to survive and the desktop simply has always caused losses for Canonical. Yet Canonical needs to be able to pay its developers.

On the bright side: we should be glad that desktop Ubuntu still exists at all.... Because it's such a fine codebase for Linux Mint, for whom the desktop is the only priority. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think calling it a drama is a bit dramatic. Some users don't care as much for the performance of Snap desktop apps. I haven't paid close attention to Snap desktop apps so don't know what other issues are affecting them.

Linux Mint disables the Snap store because it imposes the same limitations on software in it as proprietary software does: https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /snap.html

I think you can safely ignore the Snap discussions on your news feed.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Snap applications launch is slow, since snaps use squash-fs, like AppImages, and a virtual disk needs to be mounted before application is launched.

On the other hand, flatpak launch is fast.

Snaps, flatpaks and AppImages are attempts to deliver software in one way, working for any Linux distribution, avoiding to compile the software for each distribution.

For a user of a LTS distribution (Ubuntu, Mint), they are the way to use updated applications.

Other ways are the delivery of "universal" Linux applications (delivered with their own libraries, or compiled with static linking to their libraries, then included in the software). Examples: LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Calibre, FreeFileSync, XnView MP... as they are downloaded from their websites.

Since the problem of incompatible distributions (because of incompatible libraries versions) will not disappear, snaps, flatpaks, AppImages and universal executables will have more and more importance.

What will be the winner(s)?

Snaps are promoted by Ubuntu and the snap store is entirely controlled by Ubuntu. There could be several flatpaks stores, though most (all?) of flatpaks come from flathub. AppImages can be found at appimagehub or at appimage.github, and also anywhere else (anybody can build an AppImage and offer it to download).

Today some "Big ones" have made choices: Gimp is officially offered to download as a flatpak; VLC is officially offered to download as snap; Audacity is officially offered to download as an AppImage; LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird are officially offered to download as universal executables.
However, today, snaps and flatpaks offers are mostly the same (VLC is in fact available as a snap and as a flatpak).

With this increasing tendency it will become more and more difficult for distributions to offer applications specifically packaged for the distribution (compiled with a dynamic linking to the distribution libraries). Mint could choose Debian instead of Ubuntu as a "mother" distribution (as in LMDE). However, Debian will face the same problem as Ubuntu today: to deliver programs compiled for four different Debian distributions will take more and more time and cost more and more...

Future will tell!

Regards,

MN
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

MikeNovember wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:21 pm Since the problem of incompatible distributions (because of incompatible libraries versions) will not disappear, snaps, flatpaks, AppImages and universal executables will have more and more importance.
I certainly hope you are wrong. I am hopeful all three of them die a horrible horrible death.

There may be small advantages and disadvantages among the three, but the lumping together of dependencies into blob images is just so profoundly stupid it makes my head explode.

It is bad for performance, it is bad for system requirements and efficiency AND it is bad for security. All three of them. None of them are acceptable.

If in order to become popular Linux on the Desktop has to adopt all of the things that are wrong with Windows, (bloat, security, etc) then it is better Linux on the desktop stays a niche product.

This is most definitely the WRONG way.

(and while you are at it, bring back my if up/down and kill systemd and bring back upstart!)
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”