Edit pdf FORMS in Mint (Filling Data fields)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Edit pdf FORMS in Mint (Filling Data fields)

Post by rossdv8 »

This week I have had to edit PDF forms downloaded from an Aussie government website.
By 'edit' I mean typing into text fields for things like
Name:
Address:
and a couple of longer fields where one can list dates and other information.
Anybody who has had to fill in a 'Form 888' will be familiar with the fun :)

I read PDF files often, and create quite a lot, so I have messed with a number of PDF readers and things like pdfchain and pdfsam to 'manipulate' PDFs. There are a number of ways to edit the layout of PDFs and in some cases do some typing into them, that mess up the layout and overwrite fields. LibreOffice Draw is one.

However the FORMS I am working with must be edited and then emailed so I checked all my installed PDF utilities. I opened each different PDF viewer and clicked on parts of it to see if there was a way to enter data into the text fields. Only one of half a dozen or so allowed me to easily enter stuff into the text fields on the downloaded form, then edit my entries again if I made an error, and to save the changes.

I have had qpdfview installed for some time, but had not actually used it because the default viewer in Mint Xfce 20.2 is fine for viewing.

Details are at https://launchpad.net/qpdfview
I'm pretty sure it was in the Mint repos and installed with simply sudo apt update sudo apt install qpdfview

It opens the Text Fields looking all weird because it opens a field with a dark background (form mine anyway) and some sort of default font that is way too huge for the field, and it is a bit odd getting started, but after entering my name, then using Tab to move to each next field, and entering data there, I noticed as it moved between fields the data appeared in the fields in a fint that was sized to match the fonts in the form (as downloaded).

This is still a 'rudimentary' form support, as noted in the list of features on the qpdfview Launchpad site.

However now, for the first time since I started using Linux, I can 'easily' open a downloaded PDF, enter data, modify data, and save the form to upload or email it back to someone.

Whether it works on ALL Mint versions and of forms other than government ones I have no idea, but it might be worth checking. There might also be other PDF Viewers in Mint that allow 'filling in' of downloaded pdf forms this easily - and if there are, I'd be interested to hear about them in this thread.

If there are not - there is :D

E D I T !!

I just found a better PDF Form Editor. Because I used Mint KDE exclusively when it was alive, I always used Okular as a PDF Reader.
I just needed to check my PDF form in another reader (less confusing with 2 pdf documents open at one time). I opened the second form in Okular - sudo apt install okular - and it popped up a message that the document has forms and to click a button to interact with it.

I did, and it does. In a much better manner than qpdfview ! Instead of opening each field in the form, one at a time, Okular opens all fields ready for entering data.

So that makes TWO programs available in Mint to enter data into PDF forms.

Okular (lots of qt dependencies, but well worth it - and so far the best choice)
Qpdfview (still needs some work, but can do it)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Edit pdf files in Mint

Post by absque fenestris »

rossdv8 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:41 pm ...
Okular (lots of qt dependencies, but well worth it - and so far the best choice)
I can only agree with you. By the way, Okular also works very well on Windows 10.

Another tool that comes with every Linux Mint user, but is often forgotten, is Ghostscript. It does an excellent job, e.g. when it comes to reducing the amount of data, even in very complex PDFs.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Have you tried LibreOffice. Tell it to open a PDF in Write and it will actually open in Draw. I've edited hundreds of PDFs using Draw. I can give links to the websites with the PDFs if "hundreds" isn't believed.

The other to try is Master PDF Editor also in the System Manager. I now use that to view PDFs as the default Mint PDF viewers don't read a PDF correctly. Again, links to "faulty" PDFs if wanted.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:30 pm Have you tried LibreOffice. Tell it to open a PDF in Write and it will actually open in Draw.
I believe so. Because:
rossdv8 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:41 pm There are a number of ways to edit the layout of PDFs and in some cases do some typing into them, that mess up the layout and overwrite fields. LibreOffice Draw is one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Moem wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:37 pm
RollyShed wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:30 pm Have you tried LibreOffice. Tell it to open a PDF in Write and it will actually open in Draw.
I believe so. Because:
rossdv8 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:41 pm There are a number of ways to edit the layout of PDFs and in some cases do some typing into them, that mess up the layout and overwrite fields. LibreOffice Draw is one.
My apologies, missed it.

However the suggested PDF reader, Okular does not read all PDFs correctly. Just checked. I have one that would have gone to the ukulele website and should display as all bold print. The web browser might show it correctly but if downloaded, no -
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... f&pdf=true
After downloading, it only shows as required in Draw and Master PDF Writer.

If Exported (change name slightly) from Draw and it will read correctly in all the other readers.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Edit pdf FORMS in Mint (Filling Data fields)

Post by rossdv8 »

However the suggested PDF reader, Okular does not read all PDFs correctly
I could find no way to download the linked PDF in the post above in Mint using different browsers. SO I could not test it.
Aside from that - when I could get it to display in Firefox, it does not appear to have editable data fields for things like
Name:
Address:
etc.
which was the subject in the initial post.

Adobe's Acrobat Reader in Windows doesn't read ALL PDFs correctly either. And there are lots of PDFs out there created by various programs that have glitches, and won;t display correctly in Linux OR Windows programs.

However, back on Editing pdf Forms. I made the original Title a little too ambiguous. I apologise - I've renamed it so the Title reflects my Post Content :-)

I thought I might be able to update this with new programs, so I tried to find Master PDF Writer.
It does not appear in the Mint repos in Synaptic, but there IS a Master PDF Editor in Software Manager as a flatpak - so I installed it.

U P D A T ED PDF Form Data Entry Apps List:

LibreOffice (opening in Draw by default)
allows editing the whole form, but not specifically making data entry into fields in FORMS easy or reliable.

Xreader
Seems to be the Default PDF viewer in Mint Xfce - appears to have NO Form Date Entry ability at all.

Qpdfview
Does allow Data field entry in some PDF forms, but is clumsy in the way it works.

Okular
Does allow Data field entry in some PDF forms and has a convenient Toggle feature at the top of the window to enable this function if there are data entry fields.

Master PDF Editor
Not in Synaptic (so not available using sudo apt install) - but IS in Mint Software Manager as a flatpak.
Does allow Data Field Entry in some PDF forms and like Okular it also has a Toggle to 'Highlight Fields' at the top of the Window if there are any.

Any More that work?
This is for PDF documents that contain a 'Form' that has 'Fields' where you have to enter data, like Names and Addresses etc.
Editing and Creating a new PDF document is a whole topic in itself !
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

If you are just testing variants, the free Linux PDF reader from the otherwise paid Qoppa PDF Studio would also be a candidate.

https://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

If you are just testing variants, the free Linux PDF reader from the otherwise paid Qoppa PDF Studio would also be a candidate.
Thanks absque fenestris ,
As much as I like to think I can live without proprietary software, I still use things like Freeoffice TextMaker for stuff Libreoffice doesn;t do well, and I often donate for Linux software, including Mint. So I personally like finding out what is out there that 'works'. If it is available free - great. If I use it regularly, I buy a licence or donate.

Ok, so Quoppa's PDF Studio Viewer is another one that works well with Forms !
Download link is https://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudioviewer/download/
Install by marking .sh file as Executable and running, then doing a step by step install just like a Windows install.

U P D A T ED PDF Form Data Entry Apps List:

allows editing the whole form, but not specifically making data entry into fields in FORMS easy or reliable.

Xreader
Seems to be the Default PDF viewer in Mint Xfce - appears to have NO Form Date Entry ability at all.

Qpdfview
Does allow Data field entry in some PDF forms, but is clumsy in the way it works.

Okular
Does allow Data field entry in some PDF forms and has a convenient Toggle feature at the top of the window to enable this function if there are data entry fields.

Master PDF Editor
Not in Synaptic (so not available using sudo apt install) - but IS in Mint Software Manager as a flatpak.
Does allow Data Field Entry in some PDF forms and like Okular it also has a Toggle to 'Highlight Fields' at the top of the Window if there are any.

PDF Studio Viewer
It installed into my Mint Menu under Office, but did not appear in my Right Click menu when I tried that on a PDF file.
Opening the Aust government Form warned me that the form contained Javascript. Once I acknowledged that, it opened the form with all editable Data Entry Fields highlighted and ready.

Any More that work 'well'?
This is for PDF documents that contain a 'Form' that has 'Fields' where you have to enter data, like Names and Addresses etc.
Editing and Creating a new PDF document is a whole topic in itself !
I'm trying to build a list of forum users' 'Favourite' and 'GOOD' programs for people who might need a 'decent program' to fill in a downloaded form then save and return it via email or whatever. It's not meant to be exhaustive - just good.
teepeeaye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teepeeaye »

I have not tested all the readers, so my remark may be irrelevant and probably incorrect.
Regarding appearance ... As far as I recall pdf files has the option to embed the fonts used. So if you use a font which is not available on the viewer system appearance may seem off because a substitute font is silently used. In most viewers, if you hit ctrl-D to show properties there may be a tab where you can check embedded fonts in the file. This is actually one of several reasons that the apparently same pdf text file have different sizes depending on how it is created.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

If the embedded fonts are OK and actually present, the font rendering of PDFs should not be a problem even across systems - I regularly test PDFs created in macOS / In Design with embedded Adobe fonts that are guaranteed not to be present in Windows or Linux systems.
One stumbling block are fonts where not all cuts (normal, italic, bold, italic-bold) were present. Digitally skewed or bolded fonts are then also the nightmare of every printing company.
In addition, many of the countless TTF fonts freely available on the Internet are simply miserable by any standards. There is nothing more that can help.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

rossdv8 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:25 am
However the suggested PDF reader, Okular does not read all PDFs correctly
I could find no way to download the linked PDF in the post above in Mint using different browsers. SO I could not test it.
A "Print" icon top right of the displayed document on the browser screen? Hit that and print to file if there is no other download option for a displayed document.

The icons are "Save to Drive", "Print" and "Open Original" and probably a coloured one which will be you the web viewer.

Also as mentioned above, Ctrl + D offers a Save option... which might not work.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

The document I was referring as unable to download is the one in the link in this quote.
I thought it was a link to download the document. Opening it is various browsers however, I did not see a Form in it anywhere that had data fields to edit - so it is probably irrelevant. :-(
My apologies, missed it.

However the suggested PDF reader, Okular does not read all PDFs correctly. Just checked. I have one that would have gone to the ukulele website and should display as all bold print. The web browser might show it correctly but if downloaded, no -
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... f&pdf=true
After downloading, it only shows as required in Draw and Master PDF Writer.

If Exported (change name slightly) from Draw and it will read correctly in all the other readers.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

rossdv8 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:17 pm Opening it in various browsers however, I did not see a Form in it anywhere that had data fields to edit - so it is probably irrelevant. :-(
Editing or not editing, what I am saying is there are a few Linux Mint PDF readers that do not display PDFs properly to start with. Those are readers so I'd be surprised if you could edit with them.

That leaves Draw which might mangle things but does edit and it is easy to do text edits. Or Master PDF Editor which will do some editing.

If an official organisation wants you to edit PDFs then why isn't it easy to do so? If you can't do it in Linux, how are you going to do it in Windows?
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

The form originally quoted was Form 888. Download it and open in Master PDF Editor.

Write the required information in the places required and then Save As.

Couldn't be easier, I've just checked it, works perfectly.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Yes, and as listed above, Master PDF Editor is not in the normal (apt) Repos but IS in Software Manager as a flatpak.
And I did mention it Toggles fields in Forms like the 888 that I listed as a typical government downloadable form that has fields to edit.
I know we can write in them, but my handwriting on forms is awful (both wrists wrecked in a bike prang) so typing is the only option.
I'm sure there are others who have a need to type into forms so knowing which ones do work well and which are a pain, might be useful. I like the way Master PDF Editor highlights ALL the editable forms when you hit the Toggle.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

rossdv8 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 am Yes, and as listed above, Master PDF Editor is not in the normal (apt) Repos but IS in Software Manager as a flatpak.
So?
I know we can write in them, but my handwriting on forms is awful
You can write or type in that form. It is normal to type on such forms or any web sourced form.
I typed things in that form but had scribbled with Master PDF Editor over another PDF just to prove it was possible.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

So?
So it is available for Mint users and it works - very well
You can write or type in that form. It is normal to type on such forms or any web sourced form.
Yep, but you can't type into them from just any PDF reader - which was the whole point of this thread. To make a list of the PDF readers available, that allow easy FORM data entry, preferably available in the Mint Apt repos or in Software Manager (flatpak).
I see no reason not to add 3rd party PDF readers if someone suggests them as they are free, easy to install and work easily for data entry.

OK, so the list at the moment is:

WORKING PDF Form Data Entry Apps List:

Xreader
Will not read some PDFs correctly

Evince
Version 3.36.10 (installed from Apt repos at this date) opened and displayed most of the documents I tried, but trying to edit the test form (an Australian government Form) was so and as to be a waste of time.

Qpdfview

Okular

Master PDF Editor

PDF Studio Viewer
It installed into my Mint Menu under Office, but did not appear in my Right Click menu when I tried that on a PDF file.
Opening the Aust government Form warned me that the form contained Javascript. Once I acknowledged that, it opened the form with all editable Data Entry Fields highlighted and ready.
Last edited by rossdv8 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

You might want to add Evince to the list. As far as I remember it was the default back in v18. Check needed there.

You could add to Evince, Xreader and Okular, "Will not read some PDFs correctly". My suspicion is that PDFs done via MS Word, or the later versions, are the culprit.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:29 am You might want to add Evince to the list. As far as I remember it was the default back in v18. Check needed there.

You could add to Evince, Xreader and Okular, "Will not read some PDFs correctly". My suspicion is that PDFs done via MS Word, or the later versions, are the culprit.
DONE !! I tested Evince. What an awful program :-) Once I have this stupid Form 888 that started all my editing stuff - I will download some forms from other govt. Departments, and from some Education and similar sites and do a proper evaluation.
I have more F-in' PDF readers now than I could poke a stick at !! Crikey . .
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

rossdv8 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:56 am I have more F-in' PDF readers now than I could poke a stick at !! Crikey . .
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What ever else, good work, it should be done. I did a bit of digging but didn't publish it.

Full marks for the work you are doing. Where is the "I wave a flag in salute icon" ?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”