A new KDE edition for linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
niculinux2
Level 1
Level 1

A new KDE edition for linux mint?

Post by niculinux2 »

Hello there, i know KDE edition of linux mint is not avaiable from a long time, but for the new desktop relas 5.23, there are any changes it will come back?

here is a little showoff: click

Maybe in the future only Cinnamon would be Debian based while XFCE, MATE and (possibly) KDE will have an Ubuntu base? Just for enquiryng, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: A new KDE edition for linux mint?

Post by JoeFootball »

niculinux2 wrote: ... are any changes it will come back?
I would say it all depends on Linux Mint having the resources to support it. The former KDE version of LM was dropped for that reason, and not anything with the desktop itself.

Edit: Just wanted to make clear that when I say "Linux Mint having the resources", I'm referring to the organization entity, not the OS itself.
Last edited by JoeFootball on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

Agree with JoeFootball. We have loaded different desktops on top of Mint just for fun, but when we tried loading KDE, it was buggy.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Here is Clem's announcement in 2017 https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418 as far as I know nothing has changed the teams mind about what was said back then. So I think it would be very unlikely to happen now. But I could be wrong. If you want the latest KDE you'll have to go to a KDE centric Distro such as KDE-Neon etc. Good luck.
That being said you can with some manipulations install KDE/plasma yourself on Mint. But support will be pretty much non-existant as you'll have a hybird system that very few Minters will understand and have the ability to fix. If you do choose to install KDE on mint. Start with the Mint XFCE version not Cinnamon or mate.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
niculinux2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by niculinux2 »

OK, i though the 5.23 would worth the effort, but anyway, doesn't matter :)
kc1di wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:40 am Here is Clem's announcement in 2017 https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418 as far as I know nothing has changed the teams mind about what was said back then. So I think it would be very unlikely to happen now. But I could be wrong. If you want the latest KDE you'll have to go to a KDE centric Distro such as KDE-Neon etc. Good luck.
Tryed a while ago, and it is somewhat buggi because of the bleeding edge nature, not for me
kc1di wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:40 am That being said you can with some manipulations install KDE/plasma yourself on Mint. But support will be pretty much non-existant as you'll have a hybird system that very few Minters will understand and have the ability to fix. If you do choose to install KDE on mint. Start with the Mint XFCE version not Cinnamon or mate.
No, i like a plain and simple user life, so gonna stay away too..thanks"
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

exact. if a distro comes with a DE, that is supported. It is not worthwhile to create frankeinstein. in the long run create problems.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:25 am Agree with JoeFootball. We have loaded different desktops on top of Mint just for fun, but when we tried loading KDE, it was buggy.
Installing multiple DEs is a bad idea, it causes problems in itself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

With Gnome breaking all kinds of theming in their newest version I wouldn't be surprised if Mint became more interested in KDE again.

I love KDE, esp. plasma 5, IMHO every other Linux DE seems amateurish by comparison.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:34 am Installing multiple DEs is a bad idea, it causes problems in itself.
Not by definition. But KDE is known not to play well with others.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

When the decision was made back in 2017 to cease distro support for KDE, I suspect everyone here who was really committed to KDE as their DE of choice left.

KDE Neon is often cited as one of the better (even one of the best?) KDE experiences available. I have played with it before (simply because "it is there") and it seemed to be very nice, though it's really not to my personal taste.

Fedora has a KDE release, as does openSUSE. Both are also very good distros.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I might add that MX has a KDE version and the new MX21 release is nice. KDE is not the latest but it's a good solid release.
and debian based which I like.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Personally I do not like the KDE environment. Too many issues and there is no option to make desktop icons smaller generally speaking. Its an eyesoar IMHO.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

JesseRBassett wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:23 pm Personally I do not like the KDE environment. Too many issues and there is no option to make desktop icons smaller generally speaking. Its an eyesoar IMHO.
Yes really, the desktop icons are still way too big ...

farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
lbrocato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lbrocato »

JesseRBassett wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:23 pm Personally I do not like the KDE environment. Too many issues and there is no option to make desktop icons smaller generally speaking. Its an eyesoar IMHO.
i personally think kde has to many options i get lost in it and is to heavy. we would have better luck get a more light weight setup then kde.awesome window manager or open box or something similar. btw the linux Mint has two desktops based off gnome .mate and cinnamon which seen to be pointless in my eyes to have two based on gnome . drop the Mate Ubuntu got linux mint beat. Just the out of the box ubuntu mates does it just better .
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

lbrocato wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:13 am
i personally think kde has to many options i get lost in it and is to heavy. we would have better luck get a more light weight setup then kde.awesome window manager or open box or something similar. btw the linux Mint has two desktops based off gnome .mate and cinnamon which seen to be pointless in my eyes to have two based on gnome . drop the Mate Ubuntu got linux mint beat. Just the out of the box ubuntu mates does it just better .
Not quite right. KDE/plasma is one of the most configurable desktops around and if you take the time you can make it look just like you want it.
It's usage footprint has improved tremendously over the years. And is on par or even better than XFCE now. So that argument is mute.
It's ok if you don't like it. many people do. But the original poster asked if it was a possibility for this to be a Mint DE version anytime soon and the answer to that is most likely not. So if someone reading this thread wants to use KDE they are better off using a kde concentric Distro such as Kubuntu, KDE-neon or one of my favorites MX21-KDE. Lets not let this thread get too far off base. If you want to bash KDE that is OK but start your own thread.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

KDE has a 600Mb footprint when installed over an Arch base.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

My only experience with KDE Plasma so far has been with Q4OS. To me - a former Windows user of over 20 years - it was the least comprehensible desktop environment I've ever encountered (and by that time I already had tried out Linux Mint Cinnamon/ Xfce, Mainstream Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE and MX Linux).
But I never felt as lost as with KDE Plasma; I couldn't find the settings I wanted, but those I found could be edited to almost sub-atomic level.
And on top of that, I had an annoying bug that ramped up the volume to 100% every time after changing a theme or something else in the system settings - the confirming system sound then would jump just right into my face.

Alone from that I can understand that the Linux Mint team gave up on this desktop environment. Plus, it also is based on a completely different tool kit/ framework, QT instead of GTK, which requires a complete rewrite of all Mint themes (and maybe even the Icon sets?).
Consistently, the last screenshots I saw from Linux Mint KDE showed the default KDE theming with just the Mint wallpaper defining the underlying distro.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

My best experience with KDE is using Knoppix.

Knoppix is a live CD / DVD, based on Debian(s), with KDE.

You can run it from a CD / DVD, USB Key, or install it on a disk. It has no repo used for updates, you simply use the latest version of Knoppix and replace it when a new one is released.

It has been the 1st Linux "distro" where all works without effort.

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

kc1di wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:19 am I might add that MX has a KDE version and the new MX21 release is nice. KDE is not the latest but it's a good solid release.
and debian based which I like.
+1. Plus by default it doesn't use systemd, though you can use it if you want.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”