(SOLVED) Poll - Techie or Non Techie user.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Are you a 'techie' or 'non-techie' user of Linuxmint

Poll ended at Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 am

I am a techie user (from the IT domain, knows code/hardware/both)
41%
I am a non-techie user (domain other than IT, computing related)
59%

Total votes: 29

redcarrot
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) Poll - Techie or Non Techie user.

Post by redcarrot »

Hello,

Attached poll to get an understanding of user types of linuxmint.

Option 1 is the 'Techie' user:
Someone who is from the computing domain, IT, knows coding/ hardware/both

Option 2 is the 'Non-Techie user:
Any user from any other domain which is not related to computing, IT and so on.

Doing this for the first time so please excuse any glitches.

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LINUX FAN
Replies may be delayed due to different time zone
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Poll - Techie or Non Techie user.

Post by Portreve »

Don't expect people here to identify with your poll options. I certainly don't.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
redcarrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redcarrot »

Yes Portreve

Of course there is no compulsion.
Is there something missing? More options perhaps?

Anyhow, we could just get a qualitative feel.

Regards
LINUX FAN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Portreve wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:36 am Don't expect people here to identify with your poll options. I certainly don't.
While I feel internet polls are flawed in some way due to invalid assumptions, choices are too narrowly defined, or at least one pertinent choice is missing, this one actually pretty much covers all who may be responding to it, albeit rather broadly. Basically (as I understand it), redcarrot is asking whether any of us here who uses Linux does so from a vocational technical aspect, such as in I.T., coding, etc. specific to the OS, or are those who use Linux only as a tool for other aspects of their lives and careers.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

I went with this option:
I am a non-techie user (domain other than IT, computing related)
My 'domain' is my living room :D
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

Interesting. I would have thought there were less coders on here. But I think that there are a ton of people who know hardware, who cannot program. I have a few friends who are great at programming, scary to watch them try to work with hardware.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

The poll is objective and simple.
I am a "non-technical" user.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

redcarrot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:38 amAttached poll to get an understanding of user types of linuxmint.
That will be a misleading poll because I as technical user have migrated several non-technical users from Windows to Mint, but they don't hang out in Linux forums because they're non-technical.
redcarrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redcarrot »

Hi DPM

Interesting observation. I am no expert on polls.
But from your comment, we can be sure that the results of the poll are:

A) Restricted to active users of this forum
B) Limited to the users who see this post
C) Users who participate in the poll.

I am not sure if this sample is indicative of all Linuxmint Users.
(Like your non-technical users, there maybe technical users who probably do not participate in the forum as well)
At this point I guess we can run the poll for some time and see,

So far, we see almost a 50:50 scenario. That in itself is interesting.

Is there a Poll expert around? :D

Regards
LINUX FAN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

redcarrot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:47 pm Hi DPM

Interesting observation. I am no expert on polls.
But from your comment, we can be sure that the results of the poll are:

A) Restricted to active users of this forum
B) Limited to the users who see this post
C) Users who participate in the poll.

I am not sure if this sample is indicative of all Linuxmint Users.
(Like your non-technical users, there maybe technical users who probably do not participate in the forum as well)
At this point I guess we can run the poll for some time and see,

So far, we see almost a 50:50 scenario. That in itself is interesting.

Is there a Poll expert around? :D

Regards
Well, I hardly would call myself a poll "expert" (unless you believe "ex" is a has been and "spurt" is a drip under pressure :wink: ). I did take "Test and Measurements" half a century ago while getting my degree in Psychology but never used what I learned in that course all that much later in life.

Where many multiple choice polls and tests, especially on the internet, are skewed due to assuming all the participants fall within certain parameters, such as all male or female, all straight and cisgendered, etc. and/or assume preconceived possible responses without allowances for the possibilities there could be other, unanticipated responses.

As pointed out already, any poll or test is going to be limited in accuracy due to the choice of who will be taking the poll or test unless the purpose of the poll or test is to glean information from a specific group, all or most of whom are taking the poll or test.

The quick and dirty way to avoid skewing a poll or test due to biasing is to add responses to account for those who don't fit into the neat, well defined pigeon holes presented in the poll or test. One example would be a choice for "Other". That choice alone will show if a poll or test has been skewed by unanticipated biases. Another would be to allow the poll or test taker to respond to more than one choice (and adding "other" would still be appropriate). Yet another would be to add "None of the above" (a choice that should be included in all political elections for when none of the candidates are acceptable). One more option would be to follow "Other" and "None" choices with an opportunity for the poll or test taker to write in what would be the most appropriate choice for them (that creates extra work for the persons administering the poll or test and introduces subjectivity, another source of skewing, to the results unless the results are used to edit the poll or test to be more inclusive).

Adding the additional choices to reduce skewing is effective only when the number of responses to the additional choices is a low percentage of the total responses. A higher percentage of "Other" or "None of the above" responses shows the poll or test to be skewed; the higher the percentage, the more the poll or test is skewed and the less valid the results will be. While a skewed poll or test is generally (but not always) of little use as is, it can point to a need for a more inclusive poll or test.

Another danger of polls and tests are leading questions. A classic example of one such question is, "When did you stop beating your wife?" This question is loaded for bear! First, it assumes you have a wife. Second, it assumes you have been beating her. Third it assumes you have stopped beating her.

When I was taking Tests and Measurements, we were required to take the MMPI (Minnesota MultiPhasic Index), a combination IQ and Personalty test that's supposed to be unbeatable (btw, it isn't since I beat it twice, hiding a part of me I still believed was shameful at the time), was the industry standard back then, and still was when I last took it 24 years ago. We were required to answer all questions. One question I refused to answer was, "Do you feel you have a good sex life?" The only answer choices were Yes or No (or True or False; I don't remember which now). Keep in mind I was attending a Christian College of a denomination that heavily frowned on sex outside of marriage--even hand holding was not allowed--and I was single at the time. No matter how I answered that question, it easily could be inferred that I was sexually active, a no no in the eyes of College Administration.

The shorter version of this novella is, "it ain't easy to write a poll or test that ain't skewed".
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Non-techie here.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Non-techie here also.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I doubt your poll will give you any useful (read accurate) information.
It's been my experience in real life, that a good portion of people have a tendency to overstate / exaggerate their qualifications / abilities. And, that would be especially so on forums, not just this one, where most have complete anonymity.

Have seen...just saying more than once on here, a newer user claiming IT, or "expert" status on windows, yet seem to have trouble grasping literally everything, or anything on Linux. Sure, Linux is different, but if the former were true, the later wouldn't be...quite so polar opposite.

There are for sure a handful of regular posters here that do fit your first category, but they may not take part in the poll, again skewing your result.
redcarrot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:47 pm So far, we see almost a 50:50 scenario. That in itself is interesting.
Maybe interesting, but I "think" it is quite safe to say by far the largest group of Mint users / forum members would be the non-tech type. Certainly not anywhere close to the 50/50 your seeing here. If you look at the "Introduce Yourself" forum, you'll see many, many users say something like...Hi, I'm new to Linux, and Mint, I had to get away from win10...

As far as that goes, regardless of OS, would you expect to see a ratio of 50/50 for those who can "code" to those who can't ?
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

To be statistically valid even for 10 thousand users (the Forum is about 100 000) you need 385 responses for the error of margin 5%.
-=t42=-
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

rickNS wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:55 pm Have seen...just saying more than once on here, a newer user claiming IT, or "expert" status on windows, yet seem to have trouble grasping literally everything, or anything on Linux. Sure, Linux is different, but if the former were true, the later wouldn't be...quite so polar opposite.

... I "think" it is quite safe to say by far the largest group of Mint users / forum members would be the non-tech type. Certainly not anywhere close to the 50/50 your seeing here. If you look at the "Introduce Yourself" forum, you'll see many, many users say something like...Hi, I'm new to Linux, and Mint, I had to get away from win10...
I suppose the poll might give an indication of the ratios of tech/non-tech active forum members, but certainly won't paint a picture of the wider user base. Even if it did I'm not sure what the info would be useful for anyway. If users do want to see additional features/functionality I guess they might join the forum, if inclined enough, to leave a suggestion.

I've answered yes to the poll as have been in IT in a professional context since starting work. However the various roles I've held (mainframe operator/shift leader, PC support (Mac, DOS, Windows), software tech support, network manager, and subsequently network implementation project manager in full-time and contract roles) have never required any particular knowledge of Linux. So I was in essence a newbie when I switched from Windows to LM and when I joined the forum.

And in that respect I still am.

LM provides me with a working functional useful system and I very rarely have to dip into the terminal. Usually only after a clean upgrade when I pop over to Pjotr's useful tips and implement his recommendations. I could spend time delving in to the intricacies of Linux, but tbh don't feel the need.

From the OPs original post (prior to the poll) I think the idea was to try and get a view on what non-tech users might like to see in future versions of LM (he/she can correct me if wrong). I'll drop it in again here, I suspect high on that list would be an up to date User Guide.
redcarrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redcarrot »

Wow People!

Thanks for all the responses.
One of the Wise bosses I used to work with, used to say, that you have to make the first one. The next guy who comes along can improve upon it.

Your responses can definitely serve as a guideline for creating a new poll.

Just some short responses to your replies

Lady F
You are right. A third option where a person does not identify with either two options / identifies with both options is required.
Must say, your mind is so crisp.

RickNS
I got what I wanted to from this poll. A 'Shake-up'. My perception was that Linux in general is more used only by the 'techie'.
That seems to be completely dismantled.
Coders vs non coders? Perhaps I expected to see something like 80:20 or 70:30. That has definitely changed now.

t42 - please future guide on statistics.

Mick-Cork - User guides definitely a good idea. I guess the information is around (particularly in this forum)
Guess it only needs to be updated / collated.

I guess this poll has run its course,
Thank you all for participating.

Have a Brilliant day!
LINUX FAN
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Mick-Cork wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:31 pm I suspect high on that list would be an up to date User Guide.
and,
redcarrot wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:44 am User guides definitely a good idea. I guess the information is around (particularly in this forum)
Guess it only needs to be updated / collated.
Yeah it was/is not a bad idea. I made basically the same suggestion nigh on a decade ago...titled an on board help file...
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=88330&p=509652#p509652

I was directed to the Welcome app, which in turn directs you here, or to chat.

Trouble is, it's too easy to say "someone" should do this, or that, but those someones are already over taxed on their time.
Heck, I've been "planning" to get all my own notes into one nice document with links etc. , but it never seems to get done, HA. (maybe this winter?)

PS. glad you got what you wanted.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

redcarrot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:08 pm Yes Portreve

Regards
"Qualitative feel"? From stats from a simple poll? LMAO.

The sampling technique in these polls doesn't give a feel for anything. Many users here THINK they're techies or, as in most places on the web, claim they're something they're not. I've seen so many users here who claim they're Linux software developers yet don't know how to install software from tarballs or something similar. I've seen users who claim they hold academic positions but cannot write a coherent sentence.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:15 am
redcarrot wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:08 pm Yes Portreve

Regards
...I've seen users who claim they hold academic positions but cannot write a coherent sentence.
Or maybe you just don't understand them?
Jeannie

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”