I swapped to Linux Mint. I went back to Windows, here's why

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: I swapped to Linux Mint. I went back to Windows, here's why

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:26 am
mikkelbreiler wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:15 am Best practice is you should remove the battery from the laptop when you do not use the battery at all. Discharge to 30% then remove and store it until you need it or you decide to give it away or sell the laptop. In addition to taking care of the battery you will also not have it bulge when it turns bad, or have other things to deal with from a failed battery left inside some tech.
Unfortunately, that's not possible with all systems.
Best practice is not to buy laptops that don't let you remove the battery. :P
(In all honesty, I can't be bothered to remove my battery every time I bring my laptop home.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:46 am
mikkelbreiler wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:15 am Best practice is you should remove the battery from the laptop when you do not use the battery at all. Discharge to 30% then remove and store it until you need it or you decide to give it away or sell the laptop. In addition to taking care of the battery you will also not have it bulge when it turns bad, or have other things to deal with from a failed battery left inside some tech.
(In all honesty, I can't be bothered to remove my battery every time I bring my laptop home.)
Agreed.

On the one hand, I really do love the fact Apple has started producing computers with a CPU to compete against stuff from Intel and AMD, and no doubt when Linux fully supports Apple's and other companies' particular implementations of this new hardware platform, this will represent an advance for everyone.

On the other, and I've said this before here on LMF, if I would have known at the time I bought my M1 MBA that Apple was going to do what they started with the latest iterations of both macOS and iOS (the whole backdoor thing for scanning devices) there is absolutely not a chance in hell I would have bought that hardware. And for the price point, I would have and frankly should have bought a Purism laptop.

This is a case where my actions have not matched my beliefs, if I'm being absolutely brutally honest. And not that I owe this or any other community an apology, but at least in saying all of this, I can lay claim to some degree of integrity, as I really do view my purchasing decision a combination of an ill-informed as well as a leap-before-you-look mistake.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Cons
- Apps on the store were old
- Some older apps required me to add older repos to get dependencies
- NO GTA 5!!!! (jk)
- Windows has a sturdier system for mounting USB drives and playing media on them
- Barely any games had a Vulkan renderer
- WINE is what happens when users are offered 4 different versions of the same software with no exact differences described
- The open-sourced driver for my Realtek wifi chip was really ghetto
- System sounds were super hard to get working
- No startup sound?
I had to install Win10 yesterday on a VMachine. What the hell is happening when you need to login to Microsoft every damned time you boot. Well, theoretically anyway.
Horses for courses.
Much prefer to work through the OP's 'cons' list than work from the bloated piece of (its ok Moem, I'll behave :wink: ) something you don't want to tread in.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

you will also not have it bulge when it turns bad
Based on several good brands of notebooks/laptops/lugables over 30 years, that has never happened to me with lithium batteries. Also never had an Apple or Tesla burst into flames and burn the house down. Either way, that is not a Windows vs Linux thing.

Re the alternative CPUs, they jump up and down each gen. After the big jump forward by AMD a few years ago, Intel gen 11 is faster for the processing I do than the AMD or Arm processors or the Apple M1 version of the Arm processor. Intel gen 12 is benchmarking faster again while the M1 is stalled. Given that both Windows and Linux are available across all those processors, it is also not a Windows vs Linux thing.

My Windows + - - - - would focus on the times they prevented me using Windows over a registration number that had to go through their broken system or the time they wanted to charge me for providing a fix for one of their errors or the times Windows refused to let me run legitimate fully licensed Microsoft applications.

Free as in "free from licensing restrictions" is the number one plus for Linux.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Petermint wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:38 am Free as in "free from licensing restrictions" is the number one plus for Linux.
jumping to various hoops to fix / renew / and even understand licensing gotta be my least favorite part of working in IT :cry:
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

bobsmith432 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:29 am Cons
- NO GTA 5!!!! (jk)
- Windows has a sturdier system for mounting USB drives and playing media on them
- WINE is what happens when users are offered 4 different versions of the same software with no exact differences described
- No startup sound?
Not being a gamer, my remark doesn't apply to that specific field. Also, in modern times when we have so much to manage, we have to rely on some automation to help, so don't take my next question as an offense (I confess I would be the first one to answer yes in some domains of my life). Here's the question :
Aren't most cons just a consequence of laziness in that particular area ?
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Linux has been on my machines for over 20 years now. I generally set my machines up with a dual boot capability in order to keep a copy of Winderz on hand when needed. Rarely do I need to boot to the "dark side", and usually that's to game with one of my kids who lives in another country. Otherwise, for the day to day stuff, it's Linux. It's also handy to keep a copy of Winderz on hand when you're called upon to trouble shoot a family member's machine that's acting up.
Linux User #384279
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:06 am
Moem wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:46 am
Agreed.

On the one hand, I really do love the fact Apple has started producing computers with a CPU to compete against stuff from Intel and AMD, and no doubt when Linux fully supports Apple's and other companies' particular implementations of this new hardware platform, this will represent an advance for everyone.

On the other, and I've said this before here on LMF, if I would have known at the time I bought my M1 MBA that Apple was going to do what they started with the latest iterations of both macOS and iOS (the whole backdoor thing for scanning devices) there is absolutely not a chance in hell I would have bought that hardware. And for the price point, I would have and frankly should have bought a Purism laptop.

This is a case where my actions have not matched my beliefs, if I'm being absolutely brutally honest. And not that I owe this or any other community an apology, but at least in saying all of this, I can lay claim to some degree of integrity, as I really do view my purchasing decision a combination of an ill-informed as well as a leap-before-you-look mistake.
I too am curious of the Purism laptops, and I too have had regrets of my first System 76 purchase. The later ones not so much. I looked at the new MacBooks, but decided one Mac was enough, and I do not like Mac enough to justify buying another one. I wish, however, that all laptops came with MagSafe, that is one of the BEST ideas ever.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:04 am I wish, however, that all laptops came with MagSafe, that is one of the BEST ideas ever.
Which, of course, was all the impetus Apple needed to replace them with USB-C connectors. :roll:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:33 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:04 am I wish, however, that all laptops came with MagSafe, that is one of the BEST ideas ever.
Which, of course, was all the impetus Apple needed to replace them with USB-C connectors. :roll:
That was one of their more ignorant decisions, in a long list of Bad Choices.
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:38 am
words that i fully agree, when i was into apple products magsafe saved me more than i would like to admit, when you have pets around magsafe is a lifesaver
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

When pets are around, every type of cable is chewable.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

bobsmith432 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:29 am Cons
- NO GTA 5!!!! (jk)
- No startup sound?
I like Mint as well, not enough to use as my primary distro, but I do use it and like it nonetheless.

- I never understand the old apps thing or why people bring it up. The applications do work. Besides, this is what PPA's/source code/binaries/Appimages are for if you really need the newest version of an application. You could always just use a different distro that uses newer versions. My daily PC is Fedora, thought I dual boot Mint.
- USB sturdiness is a new one for me. I have more USB drives than any one person ever should. From USB 1 drives to USB 3.1; 256MB flash to 1TB NVMe. All read and read/write just fine (full send) based on what revision of USB they are/use.
- I play many games on Linux using Fedora and Mint. All, or all the support it, load and use Vulkan to it's full capability. Short list of games I play on Linux; these are just the multiplayer ones. viewtopic.php?f=225&t=363029
- Don't use Wine standalone, just through Proton and Crossover
- Driver issues are universal for all OS. Use compatible and well supported devices.
- Startup and system sounds are easily enabled if desired so this again confuses me.

What is lacking here I think, and sorry to be abrupt, is knowledge. It happens and is natural in the beginning.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

legacypowers wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:24 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:38 am

words that i fully agree, when i was into apple products magsafe saved me more than i would like to admit, when you have pets around magsafe is a lifesaver
I have bought magnetic charger tips for all my laptops and mobiles. Granted all are are USB C, but they are available unless your device uses a barrel plug and they do work well.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just do not understand why Apple ever went away from MagSafe, it was one of the best ideas ever since the integrated chip IMHO! Plus it increased safety, which I can attest to since it saved my laptop as the kids and dogs went on a tornado through my office.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

You could always just use a different distro
For the things I do, changing distros is almost as difficult as the Windows/Linux switch. Dual booting Linux is out for the same reasons dual booting Windows is out.

PPAs are mostly dangerous. Appimage is good for the latest release of applications but not Nginx and similar software. Some software needs the equivalent of the kernel management where you can select the version you need.
bobsmith432
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobsmith432 »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:06 pm I like Mint as well, not enough to use as my primary distro, but I do use it and like it nonetheless.

- I never understand the old apps thing or why people bring it up. The applications do work. Besides, this is what PPA's/source code/binaries/Appimages are for if you really need the newest version of an application. You could always just use a different distro that uses newer versions. My daily PC is Fedora, thought I dual boot Mint.
- USB sturdiness is a new one for me. I have more USB drives than any one person ever should. From USB 1 drives to USB 3.1; 256MB flash to 1TB NVMe. All read and read/write just fine (full send) based on what revision of USB they are/use.
- I play many games on Linux using Fedora and Mint. All, or all the support it, load and use Vulkan to it's full capability. Short list of games I play on Linux; these are just the multiplayer ones. viewtopic.php?f=225&t=363029
- Don't use Wine standalone, just through Proton and Crossover
- Driver issues are universal for all OS. Use compatible and well supported devices.
- Startup and system sounds are easily enabled if desired so this again confuses me.

What is lacking here I think, and sorry to be abrupt, is knowledge. It happens and is natural in the beginning.
- An app store should be expected to have new apps available, I ended up adding their repos to get the DEBs as I am not a big fan of Flatpak and AppImage and the way they fragmentate Linux application packaging
- USBs in Windows actually have a separate driver for them and aren't just a folder, applications don't seem to save metadata for files from USB drives and sometimes they have entirely new folder names when plugged in
- You misunderstood, a ton of games I played just didn't have the option, I only had OpenGL on all games except Left 4 Dead 2 and GZDoom
- Why? I was trying to run a Windows program.
- Windows works fine on my computer, don't see why it's my fault Linux doesn't support my hardware.
- No they aren't, I had to use a weird script on XFCE's startup manager to get them.
I have a moderate amount of knowledge on Linux and a very well established amount of knowledge on computers and software themselves, don't assume I don't know enough because I'm used to the convenience of Windows (and not used to the spyware XD).
Retired... and loving linux
Agentl074
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Agentl074 »

I have two Windows 10 machines, and one Linux Mint machine. I will be down to one Windows 10 machine, soon. I will NEVER go back to Windows. I can do everything on Linux that I ever could on Windows -- and more. In fact, when I switch to my Windows machines, I can't stand it... they are significantly limited.

Some Pros/Cons of Windows 10 vs Linux Mint

Windows
Pro -- access to latest proprietary software
Con -- updates are not always better
Pro -- user friendly UI
Con -- very limited customization
Pro -- more hardware support
Con -- drivers occasionally force bulky software along with drivers
Con -- not as secure
Pro -- plug and play

Linux Mint

Pro -- fast
Con -- uses dependencies -- although this is not a big deal so long as you don't screw up the tree
Pro -- secure
Con -- involves a learning curve
Pro -- requires some command line input to install certain proprietary software registry repositories
Pro -- extremely customizable
Pro -- plug and play

As for general plug and play, I have found that Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon provides better support than Windows 10. After learning a little bit about Linux Mint, I have found that I am able to do significantly more than Windows. So too, so long as you use Software Manager or the OEM command instructions (no snap etc), you'll be fine. I have been able to run all of my Android devices, USB drives, keyboards, mice, speakers, Sound Blast Play 3 sound cards, external wifi cards etc... just like Windows 10.
Indiana University Alumnus, CompTIA A+
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Windows
Pro -- user friendly UI
Every Windows GUI, after Windows 7, is a time wasting Con for me.

Their self imposed incompatibilities between Windows 10 and MS Office wasted many days on a small project where the manager insisted on M$ products. It was almost as bad as working with Apple products. Luckily I was not paying for the software.
prawnlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by prawnlinux »

You know what, I've been thinking about Linux and gaming recently.

Linux is different to Windows and Mac. I grew up using Windows at home, then because I worked in computer graphics, used a Mac for a long time. But, when I used Mac, I just got used to not having all the games that you had on Windows. That was the Mac platform, it had some games but not many. But, it did get to me a little bit when I'd speak to others at college and they were talking about all these cool games they were playing.

But, I did other stuff. I made graphics and I even managed to play Bioshock Infinite on Mac, towards the end.

Linux is the same. It has some games, but not all. If you are a die-hard gamer, stick with Windows or Xbox. But, if you don't mind, if your OS doesn't have ALL the games. But has a few, then you'll enjoy it. Linux will suit you. I mean, you can play DOTA 2 on Linux and it runs great. Same as CS:GO. Even Stardew Valley has a native version. But, it doesn't have everything. But, not everyone wants to play the latest and greatest games. A lot of people don't really care.

No-one ever complained that SEGA games were not on the Atari. You just played the games that were made available on Atari. That's where I don't understand Linus Sebastian's logic.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”