Mint 20 and Cheap USB Audio card (box)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Mint 20 and Cheap USB Audio card (box)

Post by rossdv8 »

Some years ago I found some leftover USB sound devices I had bought to sort out problems on a couple of old customers' computers, but they decided to buy a new computer instead. Because the devices were only about $20 including shipping on ebay, I kept them and never looked into them further.

This year with Covid and all that, I have been messing around with repurposing 'stuff', some of it acquired cheaply for various reasons, and some from my old parts bins.

The USB card, is actually a small aluminium box.
The Front panel has
a 3.5mm Mic In socket and
3.5mm sockets for:
Line In,
Front Out,
Rear Out and
CEN/BASS Out.
The Rear panel has a single mini USB port that I used to assume was probably for Power. It came with Windows drivers only and once the customers ordered new machines I just forgot about these things.
blue-6-channel-5-1.jpg
I wrote a post about discovering Pulse Effects and how that changed my listening pleasure on Mint computers, and about my experiments with a splitter jack thingy to allow me to plug two Logitech speaker systems into one port on my Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter. Giving me a 'pretend' Surround system with 2 x rear, 2 x front and 2 x sub woofers.

Well, early this week I plugged the little blue box thing into a spare Min USB cable (getting hard to find around here) and plugged that into one ofmy Mint 20 computers. Then I looked at the pavucontrol settings (mixer).

Mint recognised the card immediately as: CM106 Like Sound Device. So far so good.
I unplugged the individual speaker system cables from the splitter in the Logitech Bluetooth Adapter and plugged one into the socket marked Front and the other into the socket marked Rear. I rebooted the system rather than messing with pavucontrol settings - just out of curiosity.
On reboot, the Bluetooth Adapter light stayed RED (inactive) but I had Audio.
I fiddled with a few settings on pavicontrol, and found the nicest sound happened with pacucontrol set to:
CM106 Like Sound Device Analogue Surround 5.1

It also turns out that despite the thing having a Line In socket - sound goes in through the USB port that I expect also powers it.

Sound was not much different than having the two Logitech X-230 systems plugged into the Splitter on the line out jack of the Bluetooth Adapter.
However the available Volume was considerably higher, meaning I could dial down the internal Amps on the little Logitech satellite speakers.

Out of curiosity I unplugged the speakers that live behind me from the Rear Out socket, and plugged them into the Cen/Bass Out socket.
The overall sound seemed richer, so it could be interacting with the Subwoofer in the rear set of X-230s. I do know there are what look like some High and Low Pass frequency circuits inside (sets of capacitors/resistors)

It was an interesting exercise that gives me a weird 'immersive sound' where no matter which way I face I have a distinct Left and Right channel.
It does sound 'interesting' playing one of those test videos that says 'Left Channel - Right Channel' over and over, when i slowly turn and the left and right channels swap almost imperceptibly depending if I step forward or back. (Because I have the satellites set up like that deliberately).

I can live with that, because it is not a real 'Surround Sound' system. It is however a nice 'Immersive' sound, and makes use of a piece of cheapo tech that many people probably have lying around.

The CM106 boxes can still be found on ebay and Amazon - sometimes for less than $10, and could be great for getting someone's cheap computer or laptop that has lousy sound and/or volume - up to something like usable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Mint 20 and Cheap USB Audio card (box)

Post by Portreve »

I used to work at a used electronics reseller, and one of the gadgets we had on the shelf at one point was an Creative Labs' USB sound adapter (I don't remember which model any more) and I played around with it a bit. Unfortunately, I mostly only had Macs to try it with, which it didn't really support.

At the time, I had a Creative Labs' 5.1 speaker set (along with boom arms to let you have the rear channel speakers physically behind your head) and I wanted to buy the thing so I could get 5.1 sound, so it was a real disappointment that I couldn't make it work out.

That said, it would be really cool if there was some 5.1 or 6.1 hardware out there which Linux could fully support. I'd be tempted to buy another set of speakers if there was some hardware I could buy. I have a lot of movies and TV shows which I've ripped (but retaining all the higher-end audio features from the DVDs) and it would be cool to listen to them in actual 5.1 sound.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

These little C-Media chipset jobs are cheap as chips and all over Amazon and ebay. If my experience using junk parts is anything to go with, you might find them worth exploring.
There was no software to install for Mint. Just select how many channels and whether you want Digital or Analogue mode.

When I have it active the options in PulseAudio Volume Control include:
Built In Digital Audio Stereo (HDMI)
HDMI Display Port (Plugged In)

Playback
PulseEffects Playback Stream on: CM106 Like Sound Device Analogue Surround 5.1

Recording
Not set up as I don;t use it

Output Devices
>Advanced: CM106 Like Sound Device Analogue Surround 5.1
PORT: Speakers

Input Devices
Not set up as I don;t use it

Configuration

Built In Audio
Profile: Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output

CM106 Like Sound Device
Profile: Analogue Surround 5.1 Output + Analogue Stereo Input

Built In Audio
Profile: Analogue Stereo Input

NOTICE I saw that there was only an Analogue Surrpund Output for 5.1 (and there is 6.1)
but DigitaL output via SPD/IP is only listed as Stereo (IEC958) Output with NO Surround Options.

There was a solution posted here in Mint Forums in 2018 ago:
Hap wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:35 pm Solved it thanks to John's answer!

In summary :
  • Install the missing package

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins-extra
  • Check if the ac3 5.1 surround profile is installed for your desired card, note his name and the card index

pacmd info
  • activate your card profile

pacmd set-card-profile $your_card_index profile:$profile_name
One thing to note, if you open pulseaudio and change your device via the graphic interface the profile it will disappear and you will have to reactivate it.

I don;t have digital sound gear, but I installed the package and restarted pavucontrol
Now the options include various surround options for Analogue Surround Output and Digital 9IEC958) Input.

I'm guessing if I had some Optical or Coax Digital speaker systems it 'Might load more options - 'maybe'.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Behringer UCA202's are really cheap and excellent too. No 5.1 or whatever, which isn't an issue for me personally. They have really good sound and, importantly, don't get distorted at 0dB digital level. You'd be surprised how many much more expensive DACs fail that test.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”