Why Mint and not ubuntu?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Why Mint and not ubuntu?

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:22 am
I agree. Mint out of the box is heads and shoulders above almost any other distribution out there. You don't have to download extensions to get basic functionality, and it does things that NO OTHER Linux distribution do in terms of ease of life (i.e. right click to uninstall, and giving you the option to turn off the trackpad when a mouse is installed).
I agree,
I looked at all of the other Distros when I was looking to evade MicroSloth's BS

Mint has the best Community Forum support of them all, and it is extremely easy to use.

Codec's? what is so hard about checking the box to include the codecs?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:55 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:22 am
I agree. Mint out of the box is heads and shoulders above almost any other distribution out there. You don't have to download extensions to get basic functionality, and it does things that NO OTHER Linux distribution do in terms of ease of life (i.e. right click to uninstall, and giving you the option to turn off the trackpad when a mouse is installed).
I agree,
I looked at all of the other Distros when I was looking to evade MicroSloth's BS

Mint has the best Community Forum support of them all, and it is extremely easy to use.

Codec's? what is so hard about checking the box to include the codecs?
+1000 totally agree.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I run Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint and others..
To really appreciate the progression you need run them all.
All good, but Mint has a certain polished--finished appeal.
Plus the comaradarie @forums.linuxmint.com puts Mint over the top
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Hm, I don't really know ... Ubuntu in different variants is easy to install, Mint of course too - but the bird is clearly shot by the current Manjaro KDE: after the installation I actually only had to enter my passwords for the network, the email account and the Mint forums.
Everything, really everything was there and working: Drivers for the nVidia graphics and for the WiFi module, correct laptop keyboard settings anyway with all additional functions and the thing booted up already in ISO preview mode before installation in the correct Hi-DPI scaling of 200% ...
I was pretty shocked.
Besides, it has now survived two huge updates and a new kernel - at some point the rolling release should take its toll - shouldn't it?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 pm Besides, it has now survived two huge updates and a new kernel - at some point the rolling release should take its toll - shouldn't it?
Possibly not - Manjaro has a safety net unlike pure Arch - packages go through a short testing phase before being released to the stable repo - https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Switching_Branches
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I love how Mint has plenty of software installed, and while I will never use most of it, it is comforting to know it is there in case I do need it. Also knowing I can right click and uninstall is great as well.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:30 am I love how Mint has plenty of software installed, and while I will never use most of it, it is comforting to know it is there in case I do need it. Also knowing I can right click and uninstall is great as well.
I think most people feel that way especially folks new to linux. I, however, am in the opposite camp . . . to rephrase your comment I would say . . . "I hate how Mint has plenty of software installed, that I will never, it is annoying to know it is there because I probably will never need it. But knowing I can right click and uninstall is to some extent a redeeming virtue. But I get it - it's just personal preference one is not better than the other. I just wish there was a minimum version of Mint but I suppose it's just not feasible although I kinda sorta have jury rigged my own LM Cinnamon minimum by stripping everything out possible and still keeping it able to boot - then building it back up with just the software I want.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Portreve wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 am Unity was Ubuntu's answer to Gnome 3. I'm told it did have some interesting ideas which, over time, became better fleshed out. However, in the sense that it was their own reconstruction of what the Gnome Project had done, the UI metaphor involved was simply a solution in search of a problem.
IIRC, I found unity less weird to use around 12(?) years ago than going from cinnamon to ubuntu-flavored gnome :)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Because it's so easy, so boringly reliable and because it won't disrupt your user experience going from an older version to a newer one. Yup, I'm lazy. :mrgreen:

Well, and of course because of the great mintupdate (Update Manager). Best tool for that job that I've seen in any distro.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:37 pm Because it's so easy, so boringly reliable and because it won't disrupt your user experience going from an older version to a newer one. Yup, I'm lazy. :mrgreen:

Well, and of course because of the great mintupdate (Update Manager). Best tool for that job that I've seen in any distro.
Completely agree here.
WebHeer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WebHeer »

With KDE-Plasma as desktop it would be even nicer.
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

WebHeer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:39 am With KDE-Plasma as desktop it would be even nicer.
But KDE Plasma is an overkill for most people. It has options for Every-F-Thing and this makes this desktop very confusing. For me Cinnamon/Mate/Xfce are in sweet spot between customization and nuclear plant control panel.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MattJ86 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm
WebHeer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:39 am With KDE-Plasma as desktop it would be even nicer.
But KDE Plasma is an overkill for most people. It has options for Every-F-Thing and this makes this desktop very confusing. For me Cinnamon/Mate/Xfce are in sweet spot between customization and nuclear plant control panel.
Good point.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

About KDE, overkill and such: I find Xfce by far more tedious to set up. And despite a lot of effort and messing around with the settings, I still don't like it.
linkboy321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linkboy321 »

I started with Linux using Ubuntu, so I tend to stick to Ubuntu based distros.

I ultimately settled on Mint due to Cinnamon. Out of all of the desktop environments I've tried (pretty much all of them) and Cinnamon is the one that clicked for me.

Since Cinnamon was made for Mint, it just seemed right to use it. I've tried different distros with Cinnamon and they all just felt off.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I tried Linux for 12-15 years and it just wouldn't work for me. I could get to a desktop, but networking or something would drive me away. Here is one I tried: Ubunto LTS Ver 12.04 32 bit dated 8/4/2012 on this CD drive I just found. So then about 3 years ago I knew I was going to Linux one way or another. So I downloaded and install Ubuntu. It worked pretty good, but then I could not install QGIS. I posted to the Ubuntu forum and did not get satisfaction. So for the first time in my life I distro hopped - one time - to Linux Mint. QGIS installed straight away - right from Software Manager. And on other applications almost everything worked with no fiddling. I never distro hopped again, and I damn sure never went back to windows.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 pm About KDE, overkill and such: I find Xfce by far more tedious to set up. And despite a lot of effort and messing around with the settings, I still don't like it.
I am not as much of an XFCE fan as I am a Cinnamon fanboy. But could you explain a little more, just so I can learn a bit more on other peoples experience with XFCE. I also have not really used KDE since the old Mandrake 7 Linux days. Can you change the color of the icons like in Cinnamon, or add themes like in Cinnamon? Also does it have right click to uninstall, and when mouse detected turn off trackpad like Cinnamon?
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

I use Mint over Ubuntu primarily because of Canniocal's Insistence on Snapd packages. At least with Mint it is optional.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

About 5 years ago, I tried out Ubuntu and didn't like it from the beginning. I then shopped around with other Linux distributions and finally landed on Mint.

I'm a happy camper.
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

JesseRBassett wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:21 pm I use Mint over Ubuntu primarily because of Canniocal's Insistence on Snapd packages. At least with Mint it is optional.
it's my own reason. I switched to Mint on my laptop because I didn't want to snapd!
PS. in my desktop I use the legendary LMDE4 instead!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”