Slow download speed of Firefox browser updates

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: slow updates

Post by Cosmo. »

The screenshot shows only the very first part of the server addresses, but this does really look like the main server, not a local mirror. (I assume, that "package" continues with packages.linuxmint.com.)

Besides that: Not the least system information! Not a good start for getting quick help.
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Slow download speed of Firefox browser updates

Post by Maxwell-J »

wget yes .... from the main server

firefox_105.0.1~linuxmint1+elsie_amd64.deb 100%[======================================>] 60.01M 9.97MB/s in 7.8s
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Re: slow updates

Post by Maxwell-J »

take a look at this thread ... viewtopic.php?f=60&t=366001
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, charroo.
charroo wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pmwhy is that? i think that even after changing mirrors it's slow
After selecting new mirror servers, you have to close and re-open the Mint Update Manager in order to make sure Mint Update Manager uses the changed server list and not the old one.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

One thing for sure--when Firefox offers updates everybody wants them asap.
Slow is expected
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

all41 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:03 am One thing for sure--when Firefox offers updates everybody wants them asap.
Slow is expected
very true ... BUT
via Update Manager ......... slow to super slow
outside of Update Manager ............ fast to super fast

IMO peeps that want fast need to learn how to get it outside of Update Manager
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

FF latest-greatest can also be a standalone app without install
I use both
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Maxwell-J wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:15 amIMO peeps that want fast need to learn how to get it outside of Update Manager
This is not correct.

There is a simple way of receiving Firefox software updates at normal download speed through the Update Manager:
  • Stop using packages.linuxmint.com as your main repository.
    Switch to a local mirror server instead.
    --
    Since I did that on some of my Mint systems, Firefox updates come in at normal speed again on those systems.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

FF updated on mine yesterday (Mint 21 Mate). As always it was reporting about 16 minutes. Just left it and came back later.

Don't know why I have it on there, never use it, prefer Chromium.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A pointless post if you did not change the mirror server. And if so, you have selected the wrong. 16 minutes is insane. Yesterday I updated 2 systems, with FF, kernel and other things and it took for all together not the half of this time - inclusive rebooting.
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:26 am A pointless post if you did not change the mirror server. And if so, you have selected the wrong. 16 minutes is insane. Yesterday I updated 2 systems, with FF, kernel and other things and it took for all together not the half of this time - inclusive rebooting.
Thanks for your normal thoughtless post.

I am not complaining, just saying I went away and did something else rather than sit watching it and complaining. In my case we had dinner.

Everything else updates fast thus I do not wish to change how updates work. See to many posts on here where posters have changed settings and either made Mint worse or not work at all.

Just let it get on doing the update and get on with your life doing something else. It's not like you are at the computer 24/7 is it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Tosh wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:37 am I am not complaining, just saying
Why do you post the 16 minutes experience at all? Telling us, that you did something else?
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:50 am
Tosh wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:37 am I am not complaining, just saying
Why do you post the 16 minutes experience at all? Telling us, that you did something else?
Simply to show that 16 minutes is unimportant, let the PC get on with it whilst you do something else.

But surely I can post whatever I want, or do you decide who posts what?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Tosh.
Tosh wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:37 amEverything else updates fast thus I do not wish to change how updates work. See to many posts on here where posters have changed settings and either made Mint worse or not work at all.
Nobody recommends running around and changing system settings wildly, without understanding what you are doing.

Switching the Linux Mint main repository from packages.linuxmint.com to a local mirror server changes precisely 1 single line in the text file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list.

In my case the original line and the line after switching to a local German mirror looked like follows:
Old_: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com tricia main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
New: deb http://linux-mint.froonix.org tricia main upstream import backport

This change only impacts the APT software management system, i.e. Software Manager, Update Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, terminal commands apt, apt-get.
They talk to a different software repository server now than before the switch. This is all.

It does not have any impact at all on any critical system-wide functionality like startup process, shutdown process, systemd, desktop environment, graphics driver, printing system, office software, e-mail client, browser software etc etc.

It is a very small change, which, however, has got the effect here that I do not have to wait for 16 minutes (or even up to 40 min.) until a new Firefox update has been downloaded. Even on my very slow DSL line this happens withing 2 minutes.
And Firefox updates are the most frequent updates, which my systems receive from the configured Linux Mint main repository server. Hence, the mirror switch has been worth the small effort.

But, in the end it is your decision.

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

karlchen wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:18 am Since I did that on some of my Mint systems, Firefox updates come in at normal speed again on those systems.
only SOME .......
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Maxwell-J.

I use a local German mirror as the main repository server on some Mint systems in order to receive fresh Firefox updates at normal speed.
I keep on using packages.linuxmint.com as the main repository server on some other Mint systems especially for this thread.

Karl
Lifeline
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

Karl,

I use packages as the main server AND when a FF Update is available use the CL wget to get it and save into /var/cache/apt/archives

boils down to learning ......
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Maxwell-J.

You are free to follow whichever workflow suits you.
Yet, I would be amazed if a vast majority of Linux Mint users preferred following your workflow for every Firefox update, although switching to a local mirror is a one time procedure only.

Karl
Lifeline
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

different strokes for different folks

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”