How i got into computers and how i ended up trying for 3 days to install linux on a broken hdd

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Xtgem420
Level 1
Level 1

How i got into computers and how i ended up trying for 3 days to install linux on a broken hdd

Post by Xtgem420 »

Hello,my fellow linux user.I have a story about linux distros.Im posting this in the hope that at the end of the day,you wont make the same mistakes as me,especially if youre a linux beginner(Im sorry if im going to make some grammar errors,english is not my natal language)
Lets start from the beginning
About a year ago,my windows 10 harddrive stopped working,so i kinda gave up on my laptop(I have a fujitsu Ah531 with an i5 intel,2,30,Ghz and recently i upgraded from 4gb/ddr3 to 6gb),that until a few months ago when i asked my brother to repair it,so he took it to a friend of his
That friend of my brother tried installing windows 10,but he said it was a problem with the hard drive,not the system itself.
That friend of my brother told me he will look up some harddrives on the internet,but he didnt
I was starting to get pissed,so i took the matter in my own hands
I had some old laptops in my house from my brother,and they werent in function anymore

So after some research about computers and hardrives,i took the hdd from one of those laptops and replaced the broken harddrive with the one from my brother laptop,and i had a suprise:It had windows 7 pro on it,
but there was 1 small issue:The laptop could connect to the internet only through
After many hours of troubleshooting,i discovered that it was just the wifi function not being activated.I just had to press fn+f5 to activate wireless,and it took me so much to figure it out(It was something specific of my laptop)
The interesting part:Everything was good,i was playing games while staying in my warm bedroom,until a week ago or so, when i got a notification that my windows 7 license is about to expire
I didnt want to lose my computer again,so i looked for an alternative os.
After some research,i found out linux mint is the perfect distro for beginners
I bought an 8gig usb with the money from my grandma,and then i burned linux mint on the usb i just bought
I tried using balena etcher,it didnt work,so i switched to rufus

After trying for quite some time,i succeeded in installing linux mint on my computer(or so i tought.
The thing is that i tried installing linux mint on that broken hdd and i tought it would work,cuz i tried to dual boot linux mint with windows 7 on my actual harddrive and it failed,and i was also afraid to delete windows 7,so i resorted to using that broken hdd
After booting,i started getting errors(Infinite blackscreen when booting into linux mint,ubipart failing,you know what in talking about)
I tried documenting from the linux mint forums in an attemp to solve these problems,but nothing.
I thought that maybe xfce was the problem,so i tried downloading MATE
Same problems,and i started getting really pissed:I was trying to install a linux distro for 3 days,so yea
I tought that maybe linux mint was the problem so i got ubuntu
On ubuntu i got some I/o something error,so i tried reading about it that error in an attempt to solve it
I read that it was caused by a failing component or so,and then i remembered that the hdd i testing distros on was that broken one which i replaced

In conclusion:
I tried installing linux on a broken hdd for 3 days
And thats the story of how i became a computer enthusiast and tried taking the matter into my own hands(Ps:I omitted some details otherwise the story would be even longer)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How i got into computers and how i ended up trying for 3 days to install linux on a broken hdd

Post by exploder »

Sounds like my luck! On the good side, just look at how much you learned! You gained so much knowledge just from a failing hard drive! You took the right steps looking things up and the end result was that you ended up with a working system.

A lot of people would not have put in the effort you did and isn't it great knowing you fixed it yourself. Nice story and thanks for sharing it!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How i got into computers and how i ended up trying for 3 days to install linux on a broken hdd

Post by all41 »

Good report--thanks for sharing.
Determination and persistence wins every time.
exploder is right--you gained knowledge and indelible insight.
kudos for moving forward--and cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Agentl074
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Agentl074 »

Sometimes, we only learn by trying! It's happened to the best of us....
Indiana University Alumnus, CompTIA A+

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”