Mint 21

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 21

Post by antikythera »

First thing I do is uninstall celluloid and rhythmbox, then install VLC. One well established application which is easy to configure for both uses is better than two bugged ones in my view
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This is most likely a hidden setting in Cinnamon, not available in the usual settings dialogs.

Install dconf to change it comfortably. Here you go to /org/cinnamon/muffin and you will find the value auto-maximize. If it is activated it will automatically maximize windows, that are only a bit smaller than the desktop (read the description). Out of unknown reasons the changelog does not provide any information about this feature (because it shall stay hidden?).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:10 am First thing I do is uninstall celluloid and rhythmbox, then install VLC. One well established application which is easy to configure for both uses is better than two bugged ones in my view
I keep Rhythmbox since it works well enough with my music selection. I get rid of Hex chat, and stuff like that.
rattkjelke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rattkjelke »

antikythera wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:10 am First thing I do is uninstall celluloid and rhythmbox, then install VLC.
I used to always do that until a few years ago then I started having problems with VLC. I haven't tried the repo or flatpak versions on LM 21 yet.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

Cosmo. wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:15 am This is most likely a hidden setting in Cinnamon, not available in the usual settings dialogs.

Install dconf to change it comfortably. Here you go to /org/cinnamon/muffin and you will find the value auto-maximize. If it is activated it will automatically maximize windows, that are only a bit smaller than the desktop (read the description). Out of unknown reasons the changelog does not provide any information about this feature (because it shall stay hidden?).
Thanks. I already had dconf-editor on but was primarily looking for celluloid, which probably explains why I never found that setting. Interesting that it was enabled by default. Disabling it has fixed the auto maximise in Celluloid (and a few other web apps I use).

The Alt buttons still don't work, but that's less of an issue if it resizes to the correct size on opening a video.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far Mint 21 has been rock solid on the HP Dev One and the System 76 Lemur Pro. I have been using them since I installed the new version (clean installation), and so far no issues. I am looking at this one as a winner.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

Infidelus wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:25 pm The Alt buttons still don't work, but that's less of an issue if it resizes to the correct size on opening a video.
Quoting myself just to point out that Celluloid still doesn't always open at the correct size. I've got a 1080p video that keeps opening at 576p, and as the Alt scale buttons don't work, the only way to resize it to the correct size is by dragging the corner until it's at a reasonable size.

I think I may have to find some alternative software, though it probably won't be the VLC recommendation another poster made.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Infidelus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:10 pmI've got a 1080p video that keeps opening at 576p
Did you try going into the Celluloid preferences, Interfaces tab, set "Automatically resize window to fit video" checkbox?
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

Yes, that setting is already enabled, just doesn't seem to work all the time.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

LM21 Cinnamon up and running in a VM . . . . I will start using it to see how it runs as a daily driver.
The only bug I have found is the transparent panel extension does not work, it has already been reported on GitHub.
Definitely not a resource hog based on htop :D

Really wish the Mint team would change the default background, theme and icons to something more modern. :(
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

where did you get that old blue one from? :lol:

I agree the icons are getting a bit stale now, even ubuntu have nicer ones in Yaru at present. Someone made colour variants:
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1299514

but....
Project stopped for now!
There are two main reason for this:
1. I don't have that much time anymore as a young father. Yaru-Colors was a huge project for my capabilities and it took very much time to get it to the state as it is.
2. Gnome devs are f*cking up GTK completely. It gets harder and harder, and maybe impossible, to create such custom themes. Also Ubuntu devs don't seem to be interested in Yaru's future
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I have 21 installed in a VM in Ubuntu 22.04. I suspect it's more stable than Ubuntu's Gnome 42, which had already given me background crash errors several times now.

Btw, I put FB to good use today, and chewed out Linux Unplugged for making every single positive comment they made about Mint into a basically backhanded compliment. All they did was diss it in the process of trying to be complimentary.

That's probably the first time FB has every been productively useful. Just saying.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

GNOME 42 is PITA on any distribution. Even my Canadian friend who still uses Fedora along with OpenSUSE Leap and was a huge GNOME advocate has ditched it for Plasma. The GNOME Developers are destroying GTK little by little and I am not sure what the end-game they have planned is. Now it's impacted Cinnamon and it will eventually screw up MATE next and XFCE last.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

majpooper wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:56 pm Definitely not a resource hog based on htop :D
agree, looks good so far, Day 2 here with 21 on my trusty ol' lenovo.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:56 pm LM21 Cinnamon up and running in a VM . . . . I will start using it to see how it runs as a daily driver.
The only bug I have found is the transparent panel extension does not work, it has already been reported on GitHub.
Definitely not a resource hog based on htop :D

Really wish the Mint team would change the default background, theme and icons to something more modern. :(
No it is really pretty good in terms of resource usage. Right now I have 2.71 gb used with a terminal, HTOP, Thunderbird, and Chrome running. Battery life is 35% showing 5:50 time remaining. This is on the Lemur Pro.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:24 pm I have 21 installed in a VM in Ubuntu 22.04. I suspect it's more stable than Ubuntu's Gnome 42, which had already given me background crash errors several times now.

Btw, I put FB to good use today, and chewed out Linux Unplugged for making every single positive comment they made about Mint into a basically backhanded compliment. All they did was diss it in the process of trying to be complimentary.

That's probably the first time FB has every been productively useful. Just saying.
You GO!
rattkjelke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rattkjelke »

rattkjelke wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:24 pm
Infidelus wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:48 pm Has anyone else noticed when using Celluloid that .... and Alt+0, 1 or 2 don't actually work anymore to change the window scale?....
Yes. Alt+0,1,2 worked properly (for me) on 20.3 Xfce and when I installed 21 Cinnamon they quit working.
I don't know if they ever worked on Cinnamon or if this is a new "feature" in all LM 21 desktop flavors.
It looks as if this problem comes from Ubuntu.
I just tried installing Celluloid in Xubuntu 22.04.1 live USB and the same thing happens.
Pressing Alt+0, 1 or 2 doesn't resize the window and it says "current-window-scale: (unavailable)".
The same thing happens on a LM 21 XFCE live USB.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

It did work on Cinnamon 20.3; it's only 21 that it's stopped working in. I'm sure whoever's responsible for the code will fix it at some point. There are plenty of alternatives in the meantime. :)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Infidelus wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:36 am There are plenty of alternatives in the meantime. :)
Mint 20.3 for example.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For any trekkies out there, Wil Wheaton is a fan of Mint 21 :)

It's a screenshot somebody took from Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/itswilwheaton/ ... qh3S7GHYWl

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”