Mint 21

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 21

Post by mediclaser »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:46 pm
mediclaser wrote: ... file Size column in Nemo configurable to display in KB unit only.
Not exactly what you're looking for, but the "long format" will include the byte size.

Screenshot.png
But it still displays the Size in GB, MB, KB (plus the bytes). It makes it look too cluttered. It would have been better if it displays in bytes only.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Darker grey (or even black) in fonts and menus for more contrast please.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

I'd like to see a new array of Background screens, to include a subset which contains the current numeric release, e.g., "Linux Mint 21".

I'd also like to see a smaller, standardized LibreOffice font library comprised of a collection of the more traditional English fonts, with an option to selectively add non-traditional and non-English fonts. Manually removing non-traditional and non-English fonts and wing-dings is a royal pain!
Last edited by FenderGuy on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

years ago the wallpapers did feature the number. they did away with that so that people could use any wallpaper they like from any release.

as for the libreoffice font situation, that is actually an upstream issue. it's part of the ubuntu libreoffice package configuration to install those fonts by standard, nothing Mint did to it.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

antikythera wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:37 pmyears ago the wallpapers did feature the number. they did away with that so that people could use any wallpaper they like from any release.
Point taken, but couldn't an option (or two) featuring the current release number (i.e., "Linux Mint 22"), easily be added to the existing list of options?

antikythera wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:37 pmas for the libreoffice font situation, that is actually an upstream issue. it's part of the ubuntu libreoffice package configuration to install those fonts by standard, nothing Mint did to it.
Point taken, but published instructions for one to manually remove unwanted fonts currently exist. Could not those instructions be easily automated?
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

:mrgreen: I love to see you guys excitement for a release. :mrgreen:
This reading brings back memories from my 90s' and early 00's experiences. I really miss those feelings.

Thank you all for sharing your excitement. and for giving me some nice memory flashbacks. 8)
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

FenderGuy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:25 pm I'd like to see a new array of Background screens, to include a subset which contains the current numeric release, e.g., "Linux Mint 21".
Pretty easy to do on your own with GIMP
Here is an example of a Debian back ground I changed to Cinnamon with GIMP

Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

FenderGuy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:43 pm
antikythera wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:37 pmyears ago the wallpapers did feature the number. they did away with that so that people could use any wallpaper they like from any release.
Point taken, but couldn't an option (or two) featuring the current release number (i.e., "Linux Mint 22"), easily be added to the existing list of options?
I give you an alternative, which works already today: There is the option to add any text to the menu applet in the panel. So you see the version number (or name or both) always (as long as you do not hide the panel).
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

FenderGuy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:43 pm Point taken, but published instructions for one to manually remove unwanted fonts currently exist. Could not those instructions be easily automated?
They could but not every user wants or needs to get rid of them because the amount of space they consume isn't that big (unless you are installing to a stupidly small drive partition). Most of us use them in one way or another too and you have to remember Mint and Ubuntu do not have an American English only user base.

It's not just libreoffice they are used for. Foreign language characters and symbols are often used on websites and in games. Without them installed you get a load of empty glyph squares.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Clement just shared we're getting close to beta:
Thank you for your patience and many thanks to all our donors and sponsors.

Linux Mint 21 is almost ready for BETA. We’re entering QA testing this week-end. The BETA release will happen next week.
Read a bit more in the monthly news: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4336
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

That is what is so great about Mint, they find an issue, then they issue a fix, or workaround. No hiding, no "It is the users fault", no attempt at covering up the issue, just get in, tell people about the problem, and then a fast and elegant fix.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:03 am There is no Linux Mint 21 beta yet. What you have is Linux Mint 20.3 switched to use the—very rough and under development—Linux Mint 21 repository. This is not representative of the final release.
Hey Xenopeek, there is a guy on youtube promoting this same...stuff. I made a comment that pointed to this thread, and "he" deleted my comment twice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er8mSRvn_Ug

I posted again saying that "your position must be pretty week if you feel the need to remove truthful comments"...sad....that too was removed.
Last edited by rickNS on Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Yeah but they did upgrade from a non-existent Mint 20.4 so it will work flawlessly of course :lol:
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

antikythera wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:44 pm Yeah but they did upgrade from a non-existent Mint 20.4 so it will work flawlessly of course :lol:
Hey anti, (may I please shorten it to this) since you have apparently seen the vid, can you please leave a comment over there ? Or maybe it is just a waste of time.
I guess I wanted some backup .

I digress, it's just I hate so much false information.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'm not going to bother because they'll just delete my comment too. You cannot reason with stupid folk, anyone with an ounce of common sense will ignore that video for the FUD it actually is anyway. Technically you could report it to YouTube for spreading false information.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

antikythera wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm I'm not going to bother because they'll just delete my comment too. You cannot reason with stupid folk, anyone with an ounce of common sense will ignore that video for the FUD it actually is anyway. Technically you could report it to YouTube for spreading false information.
Understood, as I said I digress.
I still hate false information.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

rickNS wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:54 pm Or maybe it is just a waste of time.
That is the point. False information cannot get exterminated, just as those, who hunt behind fake information, will never die. This is like weed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Well if you look at how they are doing it . . . . they are not fooling anybody.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

majpooper wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:58 pm Well if you look at how they are doing it . . . . they are not fooling anybody.
Agreed.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

POP!_OS has a really great window tiling feature, is there any intent, or is it, going to be made available in Mint 21? I don't use it all the time, but my daughter has recently been complaining that she is having issues on her Mac with window tiling, since apparently it is a feature she uses all the time.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”