Mint 21

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint 21

Post by kc1di »

t42 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:40 am
kc1di wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:50 am Cinnamon there was a setting for the touchpad to disable it when a mouse was plugged in but it's gone in 21. I was sorry to see that.
The setting is still available in LM21 Beta. It is a drop-down menu now (instead of button) in the Mouse and Touchpad module.
Thanks t42 found it. phew :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Are there any other similar things hidden away?
Kseanfitz_1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kseanfitz_1 »

What apps do people install after the basic install of Linux MINT?
and
What apps are not Installable in Linux Mint 21r Vanessa, because they are not up to the level of the, Ubuntu 22.04 jammy, base yet?
I'll start with ksysguard (system monitor) is not fully up to the 22.04 base level.
Most other post install-installs have gone well and work well...so far, but I still have more things to install and enhance and personalize and also I have yet to grind the new OS through tasks, multi-tasking, and different "projects" to put my system through yet.
So far so good with Vanessa, I still need to work any improvements of the new 515* vs the old 513* kernel and am looking forward to the 517* kernel.
Personal hopes for the mint 21.* series are better remote to phone remote desktop, access, control and make something truly useful with the Timeshift app.

Question??-- Is a new installer in play yet with the Linux Mint 21b(beta) yet?
It sure seemed to be the same old clunky installer as it has been.
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
"One, is glad to be of service."
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

What apps do people install after the basic install of Linux MINT?

Code: Select all

In no particular order but numbered to separate some....

1.   Ratbadd and piper software via instructions here https://itsfoss.com/piper-configure-gaming-mouse-linux/ to ensure my logitech g600 side buttons  and other buttons can be mapped as I wish just as easily as logitech's bloated g hub software in Windows  

2.  smuprhos'  Mint-Y-BB and Mint=Y-Dark-BB  involved theme(s) found here https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19 via those instructions

3.  Via Software manager: Mediainfo-gui, Gparted, Gimp, Ttf-mscorefonts-installer, Dconf-editor, Gedit, TeamViewer, Steam, Handbrake, Makemkv, OBS Studio, mkvtoolnix gui, a few game console emulators, and VLC media player.

4.  Openshot ( via terminal commands via https://linuxhint.com/install-openshot-ubuntu/  )

5.  imwheel ( via terminal commands to set up mouse scroll wheel speed adjustment found here https://io.bikegremlin.com/11541/linux-mouse-scroll-speed/)

6.  Wine via instructions for my distro at winehq.org

7.  Lutris via terminal command instruction via https://lutris.net/downloads

8.  Cinnamon Applets - redshift, Simple Cpu monitor ( monitors/shows cpu usage percentage) and Sensors Monitor ( shows cpu and gpu temps )

9.  And most recently this app I think I found from - I think -  gardner bryant ( formerly youtube channel of TLG aka The Linux Gamer) which I made a shortcut command of :....

sh -c "cd / && gnome-terminal -x ./gdu.exe"     that basically acts like a happy medium between a terminal version of Disk Usage Analyzer and gui version but ...better imo.

Probably more, but can't recall other's at this time

Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Kseanfitz_1 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:08 pm What apps do people install after the basic install of Linux MINT?
HTOP
TLP
Neofetch
VLC
The most up to date Libreoffice.
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

Sadly smurphos' Mint-Y-BB and Mint-Y-Dark-BB are unlikely to work in LM21 as they are metacity-based and LM21 does not use metacity
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Kseanfitz_1 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:08 pm What apps do people install after the basic install of Linux MINT?
Can't speak for other "people" but I just finished up my Mint 21 install couple of days ago, this is what I added.

acpi
barrier
build-essential
chromium
dconf-editor
espeak
gimp
gimp-data
git
glabels
gnome-video-arcade
gnote
google-earth-pro-stable
graphviz
higan
ksnip
mame
mame-data
meld
mpv
openssh-server
rofi
smplayer
smplayer-l10n
smplayer-themes
systemback
virtualbox
virtualbox-dkms
virtualbox-ext-pack
virtualbox-qt
vlc
Plus;
yt-dlp
I'll start with ksysguard (system monitor)
Suit yourself, but I would avoid KDE apps, I just did a simulation install of ksysguard, and it brings in about 150 other KDE packages, again your choice.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:40 am
HTOP
TLP
Neofetch
VLC
Neofetch is installed by default in Mint 21.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

My list of extras:

winehq-devel
piper
numlockx (still bugs me that I have to add something like this to get such basic functionality! :))
steam
android-tools-adb
android-tools-fastboot
dconf-editor
gnome-system-tools
gnucash
virtualbox-qt
virtualbox-ext-pack
remmina
libmediainfo0v5
mediainfo-gui
flac
htop
gimp
smplayer
gnome-games
geany
par2
ttf-mscorefonts-installer
wakeonlan
git
python3-tk
lutris
nfs-common
autofs
bitwarden
strawberry
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rickNS wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:58 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:40 am
HTOP
TLP
Neofetch
VLC
Neofetch is installed by default in Mint 21.
Great! I love it, that is one of the fewer things I have to go find. Numlockx is another I always go and get.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

The finals are being tested
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am glad, but I do not want it until it is right.....
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'll certainly take a look but will stick with LMDE5. I have tried Ubuntu 22.04 which Mint 21 is based on and it's no better on my hardware than LMDE5 is
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

adapta themes and cinnamenu work great still, the Weather applet is broken though as it cannot parse the information it downloads from any service

System I am running it on in Live mode is GA-AM1M-S2H: https://termbin.com/vzyn

Direct like-for like config with my LMDE5 and so far it's just that Weather app that doesn't play nicely. I am running it entirely in RAM which has plenty of capacity for adding programs, updating and tweaking.

I downloaded my Cinnamon ISO from here: http://mirrorservice.org/sites/www.linu ... stable/21/
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Put it on the T480s and it works great. One little glitch/issue/change that simple dock no longer shows the red-yellow-green for the minimize, maximize and close buttons. Other than that, it is good. But I have been too sick to really give it a hard workout.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Also the new Bluetooth app is great, good job guys. Now when I turn bluetooth off it stays off even after a reboot. Startup and shutdowns are good on my non-coreboot laptops. So far Mint 21 is turning out pretty darn good. I have so far only found the one little theme issue, but things are solid. Thanks Mint Team!

EDIT: No, it does not stay off on the Lemur and Dev One, it does no the T480s. Odd.
Last edited by MurphCID on Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, its also on the Dev One. Running good so far. Cinnamon 5.4 is certainly nice.
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Been hammering away since yesterdays installs. So far I have found no issues at all that cause me to have any regret. I am going to wait and do an upgrade on the Darter Pro to see how that works. I will not do a clean installation on that laptop. So far I must say that Cinnamon 5.4 looks really good, the icons are cleaner, and things finally really are starting to look 21st Century level.

Yes, that is a great review of Mint, and I am looking forward to more reviews.

Edit, I just removed Firefox from all of my Mint systems since I don't use it, and it causes headaches attempting to update. Updating is slow and or buggy. So since I never use it, I purged it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”