Mint Newcomers!--what fries you the most?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint Newcomers!--what fries you the most?

Post by Termy »

majpooper wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 pm Who exactly are we talking about here?
The title prefaces the thread with newcomers to Linux Mint, but the OP may have meant it a different way. I think this could apply to people new to computers, people new to Linux, and/or people new to Linux Mint.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

majpooper wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 pm Who exactly are we talking about here? There are many flavors of "Newcomers" . . . . right? Two extreme examples;

There are the computer literate Newcomers that just don't like linux because it doesn't support the Windows applications they prefer or need. Some of the computer literate Newcomers have legit criticisms . . . . battery life on laptops, things that were easy to do on Windows is overly complicated on linux, some types of driver issues and so on. But they are not afraid of the terminal and certainly know how to burn an iso image or know to back-up their personal data before an install - they probably do back-ups anyway.

If we are talking about what I call the "point and click" Newcomers - those who have little or no computer literacy who just want to turn on their PC or laptop and point and click on a browser or email client etc. that is a whole different kettle of fish. Expecting them to just stick in a live DVD/USB of linux (which they probably have no idea how to even burn an iso image) an rock and roll . . . . . yeah - no that whole exercise is fraught with all kinds of potential issues. I am not making this up, I installed linux for someone who thought their browser was their OS. That type of Newcommer could not install and work out getting linux to work for them on their own.
Good point..
Even distro hoppers will have a different point of view. Let's listen to them all
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

PCDoctor wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:33 pm I was asked if i could help with an opinion for an improvement.
And you reply with they outta know better
Im sorry i tried to help
I dont see any community
I installed redhat today
You wont be bothered w me anymore
Not everything is a battle nor does everything have to result in melodrama. Take a breather. Not everyone is out to get you.
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

PCDoctor wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:33 pm
Moem wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:31 pm
PCDoctor wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 pm they get to that install phase
Where it says wipe it all out or do it by hand
and they think i dont wanna loose Pictures of the kids.
They should make a backup of those pics, before installing another OS on that machine, no matter what.
I was asked if i could help with an opinion for an improvement.
Im sorry i tried to help
I dont see any community
I installed redhat today
I know exactly what you mean dude :shock:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

all41 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am ... Even distro hoppers will have a different point of view. Let's listen to them all
You know, I used to distro hop and the main thing I learned is that there just isn't nearly as much difference between them as you might think. They all use basically the same components.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:09 am
all41 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am ... Even distro hoppers will have a different point of view. Let's listen to them all
You know, I used to distro hop and the main thing I learned is that there just isn't nearly as much difference between them as you might think. They all use basically the same components.
Yup - as a newbie to linux (bit of experience in DOS) I made my earlier judgements on the support forum.
It is easy to do - just read the posts and make a decision based on your observations :roll:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
An unfriendly post removed (and its reply). Do not kick people when they are down.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

I haven't installed LM but I run it from a stick all the time--yessirree, always a LIVE session for this former distro hopper.

I'm likely in the minority, but if there were a way to have e25 for a desktop, I might make the commitment to install from USB. There is probably a way to get it done, but as it is, I can run e24 on top of LM no problem. There is a volunteer out there who has prepared a repo with most of the package containing the needed dependencies -- to get e24. I will wipe the W10 partition if this ever rolls around. It takes more than a mild interest you see, to go the distance.

Until then, every session is a suicide run; but I don't mind "living on the edge". This laptop is not meant for nuclear missile launch code nor brain surgery, and I'm fine with that.

Imagine installing Arch then choosing a desktop other than their current offerings.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Moem wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:31 pm They should make a backup of those pics, before installing another OS on that machine, no matter what.
Sorry it came across that way; that was not at all how I meant it.

I do stand by my statement that before installing an OS, one should always backup the data that exists on the same machine, if that data is still wanted/needed. It's just common sense.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Oraticus wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:00 am
They should make a backup of those pics, before installing another OS on that machine, no matter what.
Im sorry i tried to help
I dont see any community
I installed redhat today
I know exactly what you mean dude :shock:
I do NOT know what you mean, I've been here 11 years, and mostly what I see people bending over backwards helping others.

I do NOT know why PCdoc, took such offense to Moem's simple suggestion "to make a backup", NOT, by the way ought to know better.

I have never seen yet anyway a piece of GUI software that does not warn users to save data before continuing.

Frankly, and lastly, I do see this forum as "community", and a pretty good one at that. You should check out some of the other Linux forums if you think this one is anti community.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

my take:
review PCDoctor's replies objectively--
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

PCDoctor wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 pm they get to that install phase
Where it says wipe it all out or do it by hand
and they think i dont wanna loose Pictures of the kids.
Im sorry i tried to help
I dont see any community
I installed redhat today
nah--don't be that guy. I see you like rh--you will have comrades here.
At least let us know how this works out for you.
Cheers
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

PCDoctor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:52 am Im just trying to get win11 running right on a linux vm.
VM software is like VPNs or Pick-up trucks in that everyone has their favorite and swear by their choice so I will just share my experience for whatever it's worth. virt-manager (it's in the repository) runs much faster than VirtualBox. I am not technical enough to understand let alone explain why but you can research it - but it uses host resources in a more efficient way . . . . or something like that. Anyway "my experience" is VMs in virt-manager run noticeably faster (as fast as the host - my impression) than they do in VirtualBox. I give them plenty of disk space (more than the default - I have plenty to spare) I also give them plenty of RAM (again - I have plenty to spare) so maybe that is why it works so well for me. You do have to do some extra steps to get drag&drop/cut&paste to work - I use ssh so I really don't need that but there are direction readily available on the virt-manger web site. Anyway - that's my two cents.
PCDoctor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:52 am Its not going well and if i post and say the word windows,
its on. Like donky kong :) i snapped
Not sure exactly what this is all about - but just ignore it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

virt-manager will not install or run properly in LM20.3 cinnamon, had to uninstall it
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

PCDoctor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:35 pm [...]You can instal rhel9 on 16 things for free
Is that with the Developer Edition? I thought about doing that, but I was pissed off that they sketchily waited until you registered before they told you they required a bunch of information you should certainly not need to give them for such a version, so I tossed it aside. Still, it's nice that the option is there, I just wish they'd been more transparent about it from the get-go. Would've been interesting to possibly start writing programs for RHEL.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

PCDoctor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:52 am
all41 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:28 am At least let us know how this works out for you.
Cheers
Ha ha it didnt work out :) i just gave up and came back to the one that just works

Im trying to get a decent win11 vm on any linux in any vm

Redhat and ubuntu have a virtual tpm (theyre both redhats official one)
But it turns out redhat dropped support for spice and qxl
(So bad graphics performance and no copy paste between host)

So… mint has the best support for running win11 in kvm

I was afraid of this :)
I knew i shouldnt have said a word lol

BTW: I was more upset by somebody in another post
telling me to go back to windows before i showed up here.

Im just trying to get win11 running right on a linux vm.
Its not going well and if i post and say the word windows,
its on. Like donky kong :) i snapped
+1
I sensed this from the beginning. Glad you have it sorted out.
Mint is comfortable for all linux users.
Cheers and good tidings
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:20 pm virt-manager will not install or run properly in LM20.3 cinnamon, had to uninstall it
Yeah - it does not work right OOB you have to fiddle a bit but not really so much - a few dependencies and a reboot really is all.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”