Mint Newcomers!--what fries you the most?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint Newcomers!--what fries you the most?

Post by ivar »

Soon to be 1 year of running Mint on my home laptop. My trusty ol' lenovo with win10 needed new fans, new keyboard etc so I decided to challenge myself to go linux only for home use, with a retired/salvaged lenovo yoga from work.

I guess what irked me most when making the transition was not Mint itself, but the 30 years of Windows experience hardcoded into my brain stem and fingers.

I think for making this switch, Mint Cinnamon would most likely be the distro/DE giving me the least grief. But it still took about 3-4 weeks to readjust.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

ivar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:16 am so I decided to challenge myself to go linux only for home use, with a retired/salvaged lenovo yoga from work.
Nothing wrong with lenovo, in fact the opposite for the thinkpads.

I still have win7 in a VM, mainly for office and mainly for work. Doesn't get used much.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:33 pm I just completed a new install of MX21 under VB today.
I've used MX-Linux many years it runs great on most computers and smokes most Linux distros OOTB. :D
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
TuxSymphony
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TuxSymphony »

majpooper wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:50 pm
TuxSymphony wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:52 am Being a new forum member finding my way about and an avid Mate fan,
I've read that LMDE (sans ubuntu) can be conjoured to work as a Mate DE.
I'd really like to see that as an option in LMDE.
In a manner of speaking MATE DE is an option in LMDE if you consider the synaptic package manager GUI.
Install MATE - Mark for complete Removal cinnamon
However IMHO the best way to convert LMDE from Cinnamon to MATE is from the terminal using apt
Ctrl_Alt+T
cut and paste:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update

sudo apt purge cinnamon -y

sudo apt autoremove -y 

sudo apt install mate -y

sudo apt update

sudo systemctl reboot
That worked nicely, thanks!
additions were mint-desktop and caja-admin, orphaned files removed using deborphan and added a couple more commands to purge cinnamon once mate was the default DE.

sudo apt autoremove --purge cinnamon nemo cinnamon-screensaver cinnamon-control-center -y

sudo apt install software-properties-common apt-transport-https curl -y
few manual edits here and there and it's all good :)
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

As a really, really new newbie to Linux Mint Cinnamon what gets me the most (so far) must include:

Trying out another distro and finding that:
1 it runs a more up to date stable of LibreOffice
2 it runs a clipboard/clipbook manager out of the box

It isn't a big deal I know but it challenges my sense of dependencies on Software Management operational methods in LMC. Then I feel duty bound to trawl websites to see what the most recent versions are and compare them with ... uh ho

3 it has a Software Manager that does not tell you the version details of the software you might want to install

Like I say these are not game stoppers and seem more operational interfacing and use experience leaning sort of things
Last edited by Oraticus on Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

151tom wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:20 pm I've used MX-Linux many years it runs great on most computers and smokes most Linux distros OOTB. :D
I gave MX21 Xfce and Zorin 16 Core a quick spin and was very impressed with both

They seem exciting distros but I chose to stick with LMC because it seems less fussy and less "in yer face".

I ended up recalling what is more important in a Powerpoint Presentation: the glitz or the content (content always won for me)

That and the resizing handles, click n drag methods, snapping to what I did not want it to snap to ... seemed common in MX21 and Z16C

All the same I can imagine them being very attractive options to users due to acceptable and beautiful eye candy
The alt & spacebar then F7 n x r and so forth are helpful though
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Oraticus wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:55 pm I gave MX21 Xfce and Zorin 16 Core a quick spin and was very impressed with both

They seem exciting distros but I chose to stick with LMC because it seems less fussy and less "in yer face".
I like MX-Linux it works great and runs fast on my old Frankenstein computers.

I don't have a newfangled high powered computer my computer has a duel core processor / 4.0GB memory / integrated graphics adapter and a 40GB mechanical hard drive.

If Linux Mint Cinnamon is what works best for you than it's the best OS you can have imo.
Oraticus wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:55 pm I ended up recalling what is more important in a Powerpoint Presentation: the glitz or the content (content always won for me)

That and the resizing handles, click n drag methods, snapping to what I did not want it to snap to ... seemed common in MX21 and Z16C

All the same I can imagine them being very attractive options to users due to acceptable and beautiful eye candy
The alt & spacebar then F7 n x r and so forth are helpful though
I don't know anything about Powerpoint Presentation although I use Libreoffice writer I don't do a lot of office type stuff.

Linux is Linux most Linux distros I use pretty much all work the same OOTB just different desktop environment.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

151tom wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:29 am If Linux Mint Cinnamon is what works best for you than it's the best OS you can have imo.

Hmmm - nicely obfuscated bit of nesting there?

If I happen across an old laptop somewhere I think I'll give Zorin and MX21 a spin.

Whichever wins may live and exist at least for a while and run with the electrons in that machine.

It is good being able to try stuff out like that :idea:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Oraticus wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:55 pm
151tom wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:29 am If Linux Mint Cinnamon is what works best for you than it's the best OS you can have imo.

If I happen across an old laptop somewhere I think I'll give Zorin and MX21 a spin.

Whichever wins may live and exist at least for a while and run with the electrons in that machine.

If you add a 120gb ssd (<20 usd) you can comfortably run 4 Linux os from this drive alone.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Oraticus wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:55 pm

Why not use Ventoy and store those ISOs on the Flash Drive / Stick ( whatever you want to call it )

Boot up Ventoy and select your flavor of choice and play with it for a while.

Much faster and easier than using VirtualBox, nothing to do, except copy the ISO to the USB Stick.

Now you don't need a spare PC/laptop to play with
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I have said before--Ventoy is on my try list--it's just that MultiSystem works so well for me--trusted and familiar.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

all41 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:22 pm I have said before--Ventoy is on my try list--it's just that MultiSystem works so well for me--trusted and familiar.
I tried MultiSystem back in my first year of 'larnin' Linux, and failed grossly, never went back.
that has been a few years now...

Ventoy to me, seems so "Straight Forward" and simple to add a new ISO
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:02 pm
all41 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:22 pm I have said before--Ventoy is on my try list--it's just that MultiSystem works so well for me--trusted and familiar.
I tried MultiSystem back in my first year of 'larnin' Linux, and failed grossly, never went back.
that has been a few years now...

Ventoy to me, seems so "Straight Forward" and simple to add a new ISO
I may love it, who knows
but for now multisystem is the devil I know.
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

all41 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:14 pm If you add a 120gb ssd (<20 usd) you can comfortably run 4 Linux os from this drive alone.
Ahhh - this is good!

Now if I knew this before all of those lockdown thingies I'd have made better use of the time.

Dedicated boot drive
Personal storage drive - different platters emm -- SSD buckets - for continuity of work in progress files and or separate partition/SDD for longer term storage - shorter term archive .... hmmm sounds interesting to me.
I'd guess that a separate SDD is better for swap if working on video or large files?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Oraticus wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:30 pm
all41 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:14 pm If you add a 120gb ssd (<20 usd) you can comfortably run 4 Linux os from this drive alone.
Ahhh - this is good!

Now if I knew this before all of those lockdown thingies I'd have made better use of the time.

Dedicated boot drive
Personal storage drive - different platters emm -- SSD buckets - for continuity of work in progress files and or separate partition/SDD for longer term storage - shorter term archive .... hmmm sounds interesting to me.
I'd guess that a separate SDD is better for swap if working on video or large files?
All my os share the same directories--but these are not in the root ~/home
All share a common Download directory on a separate partition.
Other directories are also shared such as /var/cache/apt/archives
Download updates only once and they are recognised for all
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

all41 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:46 pm
All my os share the same directories--but these are not in the root ~/home
All share a common Download directory on a separate partition.
Other directories are also shared such as /var/cache/apt/archives
Download updates only once and they are recognised for all
I hope you don't mind me asking but how would I go about doing something like that?
Partitioning the disks, how to install - all the mundane stuff a newbie stumbles into ..
Oraticus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Oraticus »

Take today.
I chose to rename some image files - it helps me match up easy-view thumbnails with Originals and both seem to have independent uses as well.

So I progressed by doing it manually and cursed that IrfanView is not available in linux.
After manually renaming about 200 files in a folder with about 300 images I accidentally stumbled across Bulky File Renamer as part of Nemo Files.

I did not know it as Bulk Renamer until quiet moments after I had renamed thousands (yes - true, had to make a start sometime and television was dull) of image files.

One slap on the forehead later...

So I suppose the theme today is: realising there really are easy ways to do what needs to done :oops:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Oraticus wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:51 pm Take today.
I chose to rename some image files - it helps me match up easy-view thumbnails with Originals and both seem to have independent uses as well.

So I progressed by doing it manually and cursed that IrfanView is not available in linux.
After manually renaming about 200 files in a folder with about 300 images I accidentally stumbled across Bulky File Renamer as part of Nemo Files.

I did not know it as Bulk Renamer until quiet moments after I had renamed thousands (yes - true, had to make a start sometime and television was dull) of image files.

So I suppose the theme today is: realising there really are easy ways to do what needs to done :oops:
You're doing fiine--no one understood this from the get go--
You hang in there--it takes a while for things to sink in
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

ivar wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:16 am Soon to be 1 year of running Mint on my home laptop. My trusty ol' lenovo with win10 needed new fans, new keyboard etc so I decided to challenge myself to go linux only for home use, with a retired/salvaged lenovo yoga from work.

I guess what irked me most when making the transition was not Mint itself, but the 30 years of Windows experience hardcoded into my brain stem and fingers.

I think for making this switch, Mint Cinnamon would most likely be the distro/DE giving me the least grief. But it still took about 3-4 weeks to readjust.
Excellent--this reply is helpful.
I know--hard to erase 30 years--especially in 3 to 4 weeks. You are genius
What was your most difficult adjustment?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Oraticus wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:51 pm Take today.

IrfanView--I think we all used that in the past
Get cozy with the default pix--there is more power in the options that initially appear--you will find them.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”