The New Update Tool Clem is Working On...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Re: The New Update Tool Clem is Working On...

Post by Harfud »

xenopeek wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:50 am
Harfud wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:36 amMy question is will the update tool be able to update from 19.3 to 21.x at end of support in about a years time ?
No, the new upgrade tool will upgrade from 20.3 to 21: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4293. To upgrade from 19.3 you'd first use the legacy mintupgrade tool to upgrade from 19.3 to 20 https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3946, then go to 20.3 with Update Manager and then the new upgrade tool can take you to 21. If you're coming from that old a release, a fresh install of 21 may be simpler.
Many thanks for that. I think you are probably right in that 19.3 to 21 is best done as a fresh install, I'll do that at end of support in a years time as is my usual practice. I will use Clems update tool for 20.3 to 21.0 on my little used laptop though, and if that goes well then on my other two 20.3 regularly used installs too. The update tool is a worthwhile and interesting development.
half-word
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The New Update Tool Clem is Working On...

Post by half-word »

To those frightened about losing the ability to upgrade using command line tools: Linux Mint's core is based on APT. I sincerely doubt anything could be done to prevent good old "apt dist-upgrade" (after editing apt sources to the new version of course) to do its job.

The GUI tools are just welcome additions for those who don't know how to do it, or just want to save time from doing it.

While I've done manual apt upgrades from everything to anything possible, even some Frankenstein combos for fun, I don't always have time to play and I'm glad if the next upgrade can be done clickety-click.

Which brings me to the other issue, clean installs instead of upgrades as some people prefer. Yes, that's very neat thing to do, and fun, and takes much time. Not everyone can afford that. For example, I have 3 machines in operation, two of them are used for my day-to-day work. The only one I could afford to wipe clean is the third, private one I could do fresh installs on, or even test other distros if I want, for a hobby. I just can't afford to lose a workday to backup, reinstall, restore and reconfigure a perfectly working machine I could have used to do my actual work. In fact, even problems during routine upgrades have already been hampering my productivity on occasion. Those two systems aren't by far toys for me.

Therefore I have always been quite grateful for any tools which help me to start painless upgrades after I finish my work and resume my work tomorrow on a freshly upgraded functioning system if possible.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”