Why did you switch to linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jhk30

Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by jhk30 »

First of all I use Windows 7 and Linux mint as of yesterday.

Why did I switch to linux mint? I love Linux for a couple reasons. FREE OS, FREE programs, Compiz Fusion!!! and thats about it.
What Operating systems do I use? Windows 7 since last year. Linux Mint as of yesterday (Dual boot)
What linux distros did I use? Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mandriva, Linux Kubuntu 9.10, Linux Mint 7

I have only used Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mandriva, and Linux Kubuntu 9.10 for a maximum of 30 minutes. Why? each distro had a problem. What problem? Some sound, Some wireless internet, and some BOTH!

I have not had a problem with Linux Mint 7 yet. I plan on upgrading to Mint 8 but not until after christmas.

I am still a noob, I don't know how to install programs to linux yet, I basically just use Software Manager.

I would like to know how to install "themes" because I really want a wicked looking theme! and I don't know how to install them. I go to www.gnome-look.org and then I am confused because I don't know what one I need to download and how to install it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by SiKing »

vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint!!

I would recommend that you stay with LinuxMint-7 for a month or so, before switching to Mint-8. Until all the bugs are worked out of the new version of Mint and to give you more time to become familiar with how and why Linux does things.

Others have given you some good links as to how to install themes in Mint/Ubuntu. Follow them and if you have any more questions, please ask. We want your experiences with Linux/GNU to be good ones.

I have only been using Linux/GNU OS for the past 6 months or so; I first used Ubuntu and I now experiment/play around with Debian (testing) with the Xfce desktop. On my main PC I use LinuxMint-8 with Xfce over a Gnome base.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

jhk30 wrote: I have only used Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mandriva, and Linux Kubuntu 9.10 for a maximum of 30 minutes. Why? each distro had a problem. What problem? Some sound, Some wireless internet, and some BOTH!
Really, 30 minutes?
jhk30

Post by jhk30 »

thanks! but the things that confuse me is when people talk about things like this;
GNU OS
Debian
Xfce desktop
Xfce over a Gnome base

I have Gnome.. I know that but I am lost at all those other words
jhk30

Post by jhk30 »

markcynt wrote:
jhk30 wrote: I have only used Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mandriva, and Linux Kubuntu 9.10 for a maximum of 30 minutes. Why? each distro had a problem. What problem? Some sound, Some wireless internet, and some BOTH!
Really, 30 minutes?
Yes because they had problems. So I just erased them
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Google could be your biggest asset in learning about some of those items, or any time you have a question about termanology.
jhk30

Post by jhk30 »

MaddogF16 wrote:Google could be your biggest asset in learning about some of those items, or any time you have a question about termanology.
This topic is getting more replys then my otherone so I want to ask something. How do I install a tar.bz2 file?

CLICK HERE FOR A BETTER EXPLAINATION!: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37442
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Well you could extract it to desktop or downloads then find the folder and right click and select "open terminal here" (if you have that nautilus ext installed)and use ./configure, then make, then make install. Look up installing programs from source in Ubuntu for more detailed instructions. Usually best to install from synaptic though, especially if newer to Linux.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Lets see... Xp/Ubuntu 5.10 > XP for 1.5 years > XP/Ubuntu 7.04 > XP for 1.5 years > XP/Mint5 > XP/9.04 > Mint7 > Mint8

Mint is by far better than Ubuntu. Been using Mint for a long time with XP, and erased XP a while back already now (May). Tried dual-booting Win7 to see what the hype was, but really nothing special. Either way, Mint pwns Ubuntu simply because it fixes the bugs and I don't have to download/patch things to have them fixed. Mint is amazing.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

MaddogF16 wrote:Google could be your biggest asset in learning about some of those items, or any time you have a question about termanology.
I don't know if it is any more than window dressing, but Google has a dedicated Linux search page.
http://www.google.com/linux
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

waldo wrote:I don't know if it is any more than window dressing, but Google has a dedicated Linux search page.
http://www.google.com/linux
I did not know this but thanks to your post I found that google.com/linux is available as an add-on in FF.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13925
MrD

Post by MrD »

That scummy malware 'AntivirusPro 2010' hit my XP Pro install, I saved my data and then moved to LM7 with the knowledge that I would be highly unlikely to suffer that issue again. I had managed to get my install to last 2 years and it was starting to slow down, but nothing serious.

Unfortunately full screen Flash video sucked with Ubuntu 9.04 and hence LM7 and I dual booted a copy of Windows7 on my laptop to boot into to watch video, whilst slowly learning my way round Linux. When Ubuntu 9.10 came out I bunged that on (figured the partitions out for smooth installs keeping data) and Flash video is almost fixed (a smidgeon off playing smoothly, it will do until I start getting headaches I guess) Then finally when LM8 released it's final version I upgraded Ubuntu to it.

Since this is a Dell inspiron 1520 with onboard graphics I mainly use it for browsing, chat, writing, image editing and video playback. It's not a gaming or encoding machine. LM8 seems to be a very handy OS to do most of that. Although I am missing certain things. My usb webcam wasn't working in LM7 (Phillips SPC210NC) and I haven't checked recently. My Brother printer (MFC-215C) I have got to print with limited options although can't get the scanner to work. I loved the handiness of Paint.NET for producing images for forums and sending to friends. A replacement for Sony Vegas would be nice (sometimes I use it when in dire need on this machine!)

Overall though, LM8 could attract a lot of windows users over from Windows machines where certain software is not needed. Security from malware is a major consideration in this day and age and might be worth the time learning a new OS. Additional speed is nice with linux too. I am going to try sticking LM8 on a medium specced gaming desktop in a few days (my son, he's 11) and give him a tutorial and see if his games work in wine! (Sins of a Solar Empire primarily) His windows management skills are naff and I think Linux will prevent him suffering OS damage within days to weeks like normal whenever I fresh install his machine!
deleted

Post by deleted »

I had been in Debian for years (starting with Potato). When I got my 64 bit box, I went with SID (it had 32 and 64 bit distros).
When KDE 4 hit SID there were some pretty big hiccups, that gave me lots of headaches. (or was it indigestion?)

So then I was looking for a Debian distro with Gnome. I picked Mint because 1) Debian 2) Mint apps 3) Look and Feel 4) Friendly forum and IRC.

-H
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

After having a daily fight with with Vista for nearly 2 years it was becoming clear that far from improving over time it was getting worse.
I saw the BSOD far too many times.
Then,enlightenment! I was given a Dell mini 9 for my birthday.
It was pre-loaded with Ubuntu 8.04( a little outdated as this was 3 weeks before 9.04 was released)
Once I'd got rid of the "brownness" Ubuntu was a huge improvement on Vista.
The only problem was that getting all the required media codecs was cumbersome,and not always successful.
Then one day on a tech website I read about Mint and saw some screenshots (ooh! shiny!)
From the moment I ran the Mint 7 Live CD that was it...game over for Ubuntu.
Four months on I'm still here,with Mint 8 as well as 7 now,and showing no signs of going anywhere.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

oscar799 wrote:Once I'd got rid of the "brownness" Ubuntu was a huge improvement on Vista.
The only problem was that getting all the required media codecs was cumbersome,and not always successful.
"sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" is not exactly cumbersome. ;-)
jhk30

Post by jhk30 »

I am flarpen GOOD at windows. I am like PRO! but with linux im like a 2 year old trying to use a computer.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

So is the original poster still here, or are his/her 30 minutes up...hehe. :lol: Just kidding...welcome to Mint.
billbose

Post by billbose »

I switched from Ubuntu Dapper to Mint a few years ago because the following reasons:
1) Ubuntu default theme sucks.
2) All those Codecs+flash bundled with Mint.

Yes, I am too lazy to do a manual install of the above.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”