Why did you switch to linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
bkolmsted
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by bkolmsted »

Hi Everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to add this but...

I just feel it is necessary to say THANK YOU to 'you guys'. I've muddled my way through various distros since about Ubuntu 6 (Dapper). I keep leaving and coming back to linux because I want to embrace it but nothing quite works right for me and I run out of time being frustrated trying to get things running (and running the way I want). I installed Linux Mint 8 and I've finally landed. Everything works. It looks great. It is a FULL distro and does everything I need. This distribution has finally made it so that I have begun learning productively about terminal and file systems etc. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

This is my first post and it will be my last post referring to 'you guys'. This is a 'we' thing now. I'm one of you.

...now I need to get my hands on a coffee mug and some t-shirts or something. Haha.
brainiac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brainiac »

I made the switch to Linux Mint around a year ago from a different distro because I was spending more time sorting out problems in that os than actually being productive, and Linux Mint is the first distro I've used wherein everything has worked out of the box for two different computers in my household. Though initially I liked getting my hands dirty, so to speak, trying to edit config files and whatnot (which I still do for my server from time to time), I found myself eventually worn out by that as it occurred to me that I should probably spend more time working on my academics than fixing my computer lol.

There is a thread here asking whether "our women" will ever appreciate Linux Mint, but as a woman I just want to say that I'm having trouble swaying anyone to appreciate Linux (the kernel itself, and the bazillion operating systems built on it) in general. The men in my life, to my utter dismay, all seem to be hard-core Mac and Windows fanboys. :P
fullonshred
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fullonshred »

I plan to likely always run a windows box or two. Why? Because there are 7 million games and other programs I can run on windows easily and at a high level. There are also many free apps for windows that I am quite familiar with. So I am no windows hater.

Why am I using Mint 8? because it is a free alternative to windows and I am interested in learning more about it. It looks great and so far barring the Firewall app it just simply works for several things I like to do and without too much trouble or too steep a learning curve. I want to learn how to use Linux, and Mint 8 seems to work properly right after install without a lot of fuss and muss. I am "playing with it" on an old Athlon 1200mhz box running 1gb of memory and a Radeon 9600xt graphics card and it is pretty snappy even on such old hardware. I tried several Ubuntu distros before and they were all buggy and aggravating to get up and running after install. Hours on google to get the wireless working, similar for graphics drivers........ All this stuff just configured itself when I installed Mint 8. I am not interested in building my own OS from scratch. I want one that is "ready to play" right after install and so far Mint 8 seems to fill the bill.

Thanks to all those who took Ubuntu and turned it into a distro that works "right out of the box". So far so good except for the Firewall which keeps locking up my system. I had to disable it to be able to surf the net without lockups.
dancsnrain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dancsnrain »

This old Dell needed some new blood. Dual booted with XP for a while. Decided to blow it out to get back the whole HD. Tried Mandriva for three weeks, didn't like the RPM manipulations. Mint 8 runs so nice. Also found at many thrift stores 6 different books on Linux. The money I would have spent on 1 W7 CD bought 6 books for $10. God bless Goodwil and St. Vincent DePaul.
Xlayer2006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xlayer2006 »

jhk30 wrote:oh dont worry about it now, I JUST FLUPPED UP ALL MY OPERATING SYSTEMS AT ONCE!

so yea. now I have a pc with no operating systems on it. now I need to go and reinstall everything and I lost all my really important, irreplaceable files. :( x100
Let me guess, you did the same dang thing I did. Tried installing mint over something like ubuntu, but it wanted to do a "side-by-side" install, so you exited out of the installer, went to "My Computer" thinking you were all kinds of smart and formated the ubuntu partition. then when you went back to the installer it didn't want to use the whole partition so you went BACK to "My Computer" to try formating said partition with a different format to see if that would make a difference and low and behold, before you can even say "CRAP!!" the whole freaking hard-drive is formated. :shock: Yeah, I know how you feel. :cry: The only thing that made me feel any better after that was to find out that it was not all in vain. Pulled out a spare laptop hard-drive(in hopes of still being able to salvage something off the previous hard-drive no matter the odds :cry: ) and installed Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition to find that i had found just what i had been looking for.
Something that was (1) Free (2) User-friendly and intuitive (3) "Plug-n-play" with a good many things (4) Has a support network of people that WANT to help instead of a call center full of people that are just being PAID to help you and don't give two cents if your problem is fixed by the end of their shift or not. And I'm glad I'm not fighting with windows right now.
ghostgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ghostgrrl »

MaddogF16 wrote:
jhk30 wrote:I am getting fed up with Linux Mint now. seriously cant it just work like a normal OS? Mac and Windows are easy to use. why cant linux be?

What are you trying to do that is baffling and fustrating you?
I feel MaddogF16's pain --- I can't stand Windows, and I love Mint, but trying to install things in Linux is a real pain in the a$$. *If* you're lucky enough to find the software or package via Synaptic, okay good. If not, you're in for a heap o' headaches.

Asking questions or looking things up online is also a pain, unless you geek-speak which a lot of us Win-expatriots just don't know. All this "sudo aptget" and "--enable -s" whatever stuff is just Martian to us, and there seems no good place to learn it outside of the local college. Even the readme's look like Botswanian with a Lithuanian-Romulan accent.

I've just spent nearly a week just trying to find out how to install the Fourier-GUT package in my LyX installation on my new netbook, to match the one on my laptop. Not happening. Worked before, why not now? I can't remember exactly what I did (read: what hoops I had to jump through to get it to work), and I cannot find understandable information anywhere, despite being a pretty dang good online researcher. I tried to install MiKTeX, but only the Windows version seems to be available (the page lists Linux but no file to download), and I spent an entire day trying to get it to work via Wine-Doors to no avail. MiKTeX has now installed three times, but is nowhere to be found in my MintMenu, nor can I get it to start via the virtual C: drive.

When it comes to installing stuff, Windows is the clear winner: Click an .exe and the thing installs itself. No compiling necessary!

If Linux distro people could just realize that not everyone coming from Windows is a programmer-geek, and newbies need a simple, plain English explanation for all that Terminal-talk, there'd be a lot more happy Linux users. Or is everybody using Linux a whiz programmer and just understands this stuff like it was A-B-C Dick and Jane?

I feel stupid. 20+ yrs as a computer power-user, all the way back to DOS-based WordPerfect 4.1 (yes, before Windows ever came out), and I feel stupid. :roll:
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

:D I feel stupid as I have no idea what those two packages are or do. :lol: :lol: If it's not packaged I generally find an alternative or do without until it becomes a package, and yes the compiling can be a huge pain. From the software side it's hard to get all the possible types of software covered, especially if it's a software that's not used by huge numbers of users. :?
dborg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dborg »

Linux has been a strong OS for years now and while it has less unification for installable packages (across the broad span of distro's), this doesn't mean you can't compile your own.
Compiling is a simple process and once you have done it two or three times, you will find that Linux works more for you then Windows (or Mac OS X in some cases).

You will not see a .<PRE-COMPILED PACKAGE TYPE> that will work universally across Linux in the near future due to the way different Distro's are structured and the policies they hold. Also some developers create these programs under specific OS's and design them to work for that particular release.
One day we may see a change in the way packages are built and maintained, however I doubt it...
True scholarship consists in knowing not what things exist, but what they mean; it is not memory but judgment. -- James Russell Lowell
butchydave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by butchydave »

It actually just totally worked from the download -install -instant net and movies!! Hopped piles of distros before finding this jewel. Gotta stack of cd's a mile high! Will (sigh) always have to have windows because most everything is written for it because of the money. I have total respect for big brains donating their time and money to make this O/S what it is. The hardest part of googling for answers is shifting thru the trash to get to the good answers. What a great forum, feels like good people all round. :!: :D
Still Kicking!
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

-o0o-
  • i also feel ghostgrrl pain as ive been a pc use since 1997 and have attained MSCE and diploma (sub degree) in 2000 and have a strong understanding in and still do on the side as a

* visual basic programmer
    * application VB programmer
    * C++ programmer
    * design and build in house databases

and don't really have a problem in remembering (well almost :D ) all of the codes, BUT, with linux, i just cant seem to get my head around certain, well most of the terminal line commands to do things, and i have not only a note pad but also store most of the commands in tomboy and copy and paste them in or use the history command to execute what i want --- they say you need time with linux and its a learning curve, i strongly agree with that.
    to be honest, now days, if it ain't in the package manager, i dont even bother, as from past experience with linux ive had in the last 7 - 8 months, ive spent way too much time in front of the screen, sifting through garbage posts on google to find a simple answer -- so for me i have almost given up problem solving linux issues since 9.04 (mint 7). if it dosnt install, work properly or even crashes the system, i just reinstall linux (image copy) and avoid that particular program and use a similar app in windows (which always works)
Last edited by ibm450 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

I'd just bought a new laptop and didn't want Windows on it. I'd experimented with various distros on LiveCD or as virtual machines, and stuck Mint on there because I'd heard of the multimedia support from Mint. I joined this forum, found it to be a friendly place, so I thought I'd stick around.

I feel bad for people with command-line-blues, but seriously, it's not that hard. OK there are a lot of GUI tools around (if you know where to look -- which I guess is part of the problem) but you'll never get the flexibility out of a GUI that you can from a CLI tool.

(and ghostgrrl, I'm not trying to be nasty but how can you say in one breath that
All this "sudo aptget" and "--enable -s" whatever stuff is just Martian to us, and there seems no good place to learn it outside of the local college. Even the readme's look like Botswanian with a Lithuanian-Romulan accent.
and in another call yourself a power-user?)
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

markfiend wrote:I'd just bought a new laptop and didn't want Windows on it. I'd experimented with various distros on LiveCD or as virtual machines, and stuck Mint on there because I'd heard of the multimedia support from Mint. I joined this forum, found it to be a friendly place, so I thought I'd stick around.

I feel bad for people with command-line-blues, but seriously, it's not that hard. OK there are a lot of GUI tools around (if you know where to look -- which I guess is part of the problem) but you'll never get the flexibility out of a GUI that you can from a CLI tool.

(and ghostgrrl, I'm not trying to be nasty but how can you say in one breath that
All this "sudo aptget" and "--enable -s" whatever stuff is just Martian to us, and there seems no good place to learn it outside of the local college. Even the readme's look like Botswanian with a Lithuanian-Romulan accent.
and in another call yourself a power-user?)
What I got out of that was that she was a power user of DOS/Win** for more than 20 years. I don't think she(?) meant that they're a PU in Linux...
deleted

Post by deleted »

As a full-time linux user for professional Java/C Development, I spend less than 5% of mine time at the command line.
Instead of

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install foo
I use synaptic. It works quite well and is head and shoulders over any msi thing.
In a heterogeneous working environment, I chuckle when I have to deal with XP, 2000 Server, 2003 Server, 2008 Server, Office 2003, Office 2007, Windows 7. They all have slightly different interfaces and locations for their tools.

-Hinto
chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim »

Getting back to the original question "Why did you switch to linux mint", didn't plan it that way. Been a long time user of KDE distros so I hadn't really considered any Gnome based distro. Then I installed a desktop well away from my router which necessitated using a wireless connection. Regretfully I discovered my wireless PCI cards either weren't recognized or had very poor reception.

Using Distrowatch as a reference I began trying other distros. Discovered Mint installed easily and found more surrounding hot spots than I had ever noticed before.

Finally my beloved KDE3.5 is going away. Don't find the replacement KDE4 series as user friendly as was KDE3.5. Over time became more comfortable using Mint with Gnome. Then I discovered Kmymoney worked perfectly within Mint. Now if only Kooka for scanning was here as well. Change over almost completed.
Mint-20 Mate 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 16GB DDR4 2400
4TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm
deleted

Post by deleted »

What he said;)
...and the Network Manager in gnome works seamlessly with my company's vpn.
One-click and I'm behind the firewall;)
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddavid123 »

My first taste of Linux was Mandrake 9.1 in March 2003. Everything worked except my WinModem! I played with it until summer, then switched back to XP :oops: Then in February 2005 I discovered Linspire, but did not purchase it until October. My laptop running XP got infected by a nasty virus and would not reboot. I remembered I had the Linspire Install CD and installed it on my laptop in November 2005! As before, everything worked perfectly except for the WinModem! So I called a PC repair guy to sell me a Linux compatible PCMCIA modem card. It worked!

I had used Linspire 5.0 for many years, then upgraded to 6.0. Then Linspire Inc sold out to Microsoft and went belly up! After that I used Ubuntu for a while, but just could not get used the the burned orange theme! :roll: I then tried Debian, Fedora, Puppy, Slax, and even tried Gentoo! The PC I have now was from a Linux OEM, a great machine! It came pre-installed with Freespire 2.08, I later installed Linux Mint 6 then 7 and 8. I have tried many different distros, but I prefer dpkg-apt better!

I will continue to use Linux Mint because the real community is here!
hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac »

After first slipping into the Linux world on the advice of a friend (A network admin at a local college) for fixing a problem I was having with windows at the time. I hastily downloaded the Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD. Stuffed it in my "crippled" windows rig and followed his instructions to do what i needed to get windows back up. With that said, over the next few days while working away on my computer, the idea of the fact that I HAD used another OS to save this one was always swimming around in the back of my mind, so with the odd few extra minutes (usually waiting for updates to finish) I happily bounced around Google and read up on the possibility of running the two of them on the same machine.

Well needless to say, about 4 months later, XP went down hard after the .NET 2 update, and I said to myself, "This looks like a good time", plus by now I had had enough, and I thought that I was sick of seeing that paper clip anyway. So I booted to ubuntu, copied all my important documents and what-not out of windows and blew it away and was left with a full shiny install of 7.04.

I happily underwent the total learning curve and accepted that I was now in a world that help wasn't a phone call away, so i plugged along and while doing so i noticed a few other "flavors" about and started toying around with them. I came across a review at a totally obscure website where one of the comment's was about Mint 7.04/8.04 Upgrade cycle. This user was shocked at how fast, easy, and uncomplicated it was. Intrigued I headed over to both the Mint forums as well as the ubuntu forums. And lo-and-behold, there were more people relating to this commenter's experience in the Mint camp then the other one. I took all that information under advisement and continued to toil, writing small bash scripts to help me get stuff done, taking on responsibility to help out and learn from other *nix users, and then it happened, the 8.04-9.04 release cycle hit for ubuntu, and guess what? my rig at the time was more crippled after word then a bad vista replica. Even after a clean install of 9.04 it looked like 2 days work just to get the rig comfortable again, there forums were the least friendliest place to be at the time (so it seamed to me) and no WIFI support outta the box? At this I was utterly confused! Especially in our new days of almost everything in electronics coming off the shelf wireless.

Just then i remembered about 6 months previous what that commenter said on the one site (man i wish i had the link to it now), and off i went to the local computer cafe, went to the Linux Mint site and grabbed a nice copy of Mint 7 Gloria. Paid the man at the counter, and raced home like a boy from the 80's with the latest Hot Wheels car, ran into the basement with coat and shoes still on, fired the Mint 7 CD into the tray, closed my eyes and hit power. The next 10 minutes as you all now were very uneventful, select language, keyboard, blah, blah, blah. At this point I was actually starting to shake inside, as I had been 3 days without a working rig, then came the moment of truth, Continue Testing | Restart Now, I hit restart now and waited for what seemed to be forever and ever and ever (in reality a minute) then that wonderfully overpowering green shiny desktop whacked me right in the face (figuratively speaking, not faulting it, just not a green fan), and to my surprise I was on line, updated, and ready to go wired or wireless in 20 minutes, (Now what really stooped me was the fact that this flavor was configured basically to do what it needed to do to help the user progress out of the box, yet the very distro it is built on was so broken compared to it users in some instances would need another computer and connection to solve it). I was so full of joy that I started the now infamous pile of "Soon to be Coasters" where everything windows and ubuntu now reside. And not ONE day has come-or-gone that I wonder about switching main OS's

I do apologize for the length of the post, but I felt Justice wasn't done to a crumpled version and wouldn't portray my true experience
newtonne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by newtonne »

I was looking for the most trouble free distro. I have a dual-boot system, Ubuntu/XP, on my desktop but on my laptop I wanted to try something different. I tried Mepis, Fedora, Mandriva, PCLinusOS, Kubuntu, Debian, and openSUSE. One thing I learned is that I just do not like KDE as much as Gnome. I found all the distros to be good with Mepis and Fedora to be the most stable. But, I have to say this, Linux Mint is by far the very best distro I've used; it is just put together right. From installation to configuration I've not had one single issue, not one hiccup! I have an AMD 64 bit processor but am running 32 bit Mint; it is so stable I think I'll stay with it.

I just love this distro, it fits like a glove and I am totally happy with it.

Newt
rrinjapan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rrinjapan »

I was using a lot of freeware on mac anyway. One of my friends works on the Japanese version of OpenOffice and I've been a big supporter of that group and other related groups for years. I was also getting a bit bored with using Mac. It was really nice switching to Mac from Windows which I have more or less hated since it came out.

I tried Ubuntu but had some trouble with getting on-line with a pppoe account ... I tried Mint on the suggestion of a friend, had the same problem but stuck with it a while and have fallen in love with it. It's so flexible and if you screw things up it's okay, you can just start over ...

It's a bit difficult to figure things out sometimes but that's part of the fun and I figure it never hurts to know how things work ... It's also great to get help from everyone and I downloaded a few Linux e-books and have been getting some tips from them ...

RR
Arturito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arturito »

I basically come from Windows, i've only used linux (OpenSuse, Ubuntu, Slackware) in my laptop which i mostly use as a server. Because im a PC gamer, windows is a need (unfortunately), so as a pc gamer i had to upgrade to Windows 7, it was all good, but somehow it ended screwing up one of my hard drives and had to format it. So i decided to install Linux Mint in another hard drive and leave windows exclusively for gaming or something i cant do with mint.

Now that i could finally confiugre mint as i wanted, it really feels a lot better than windows, it does feel smoother, and i don't fear bill anymore.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”