Why did you switch to linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
LisaRae82
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by LisaRae82 »

I was sick and tired of having to do a fresh install of Windows once a month. My printer died and it was the only thing holding me back from linux so I got a hp and now running linux mint 8. Tried ubuntu for a while but it wouldn't play my dvd's without having to download extras and I am on dial-up so go figure.
filosofem666
Level 1
Level 1

Post by filosofem666 »

I can't say I have completely switched to Linux Mint, as I still have to use Windows to perform certain tasks such as converting lossless audio files with cue sheets to individual mp3s (and gaming, of course). However, when not having to bother with the aforementioned tasks, I do find myself spend most of my computing time on Mint these days.

I actually had experience with Linux quite a few years ago but stopped using it for various reasons. What brought me back to it was that I needed a backup OS, because when my laptop was unplugged its LCD screen would black out randomly on Windows XP after I had changed the hard drive. At first I tried out Ubuntu but wasn't exactly satisfied. Then I discovered Linux Mint, which seemed to me like a polished-up Ubuntu with a nice-sounding name, and I stayed.

Now I'm trying to master the Linux system and planning to learn to write shell scripts and simple programs. Talk about the fun of computing!
Last edited by filosofem666 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Logan »

I switched to Linux Mint because I HATE WINDOWS!
I just canned windows completely on both my business and personal computers a few weeks ago (partially due to the Antivirus 2010 virus winding up on every windows machine anyone I know owns. And the fact that they all call me to fix the problem)... Best thing I've ever done. I was told how easy Linux Mint was by a friend; altho' I was a bit nervous about the transition in that I am not too familiar with shell. I am very pleased with it now.
I carry the live usb with me everywhere I go now; just in case I run into someone who is as frustrated with windows as I was.
Now all I have to do is get used to everything working properly on and with my machine... I cried tears of joy when I realized my stereo system was working properly (never could get surround sound to work with windows), and then I find packages that work with my usb vinyl player (never worked w/ windows) and a plethora of packages for my HAM radio hobby I am in heaven!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this amazing distro.
Well I've got shell commands to learn, so I'll leave it at that. :D
"The practice of art isn't to make a living. It's to make your soul grow." — Kurt Vonnegut
drifter0000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drifter0000 »

I started fooling around with Mint 4-5 while dual booting XP Pro. I really liked it, but did not understand Linux and had a lot of trouble with Flash and sound. So I watched video on XP and Mint for most other things.
I use my computer for a lot of things: telephone, reading news, email, watching videos and many other things. I don't play games or do anything intensive like rendering. When Vista 64 bit came out I got a copy when the price dropped to $80.00 USD. (I built my present machine to run Vista). I had hopes that Vista would be more like Linux with the ease of use that Widows has. That proved to be a big mistake. Then bought Win 7 upgrade for $30.00 USD. It was better than Vista but not by much.
During these upgrades of Windows I have always come back to the latest version of Mint because most everything just worked so well after install.
Now that audio and flash work so well in Mint I don't use any form of Windows any longer. Because of the forums and the web I have come to understand Linux much better. I prefer a simple Linux such as debian and use the Gnome desktop.
I am now happily using Mint 8 and have no real issues. Mint has a great forum full of helpful people. The OS itself is setup to be very user freindly.

My biggest complaint about Mint 8 is this: It only uses less than one gig of my memory and my cpu stays at around 2-5 %, all 4 cores are running mostly at 800 mhz (with cool and quiet turned on. Also it is so snappy loading programs that my SSD dosn't make a lot of difference. PLEASE MAKE OS THAT BURNS UP MY RESOURCES THE WAY WIN 7 DOES!!!!

Yes I am very happy with Mint in all respects. I make small donations when I can. Thank You so much for this OS!!!!!!!!!

AMD phenom 3.0 Gig
4 Gig mem
32 Gig Intel SSD, 500 gig WD drive for storage
Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Colonel Panic »

I haven't switched (I still run Puppy and Vector too) but I've installed Mint 8 (XFCE) because:

a / it's one of the very few distros left which still actively supports dialup (through chestnut-dialer, a good ppp dialer);

b / it has a good range of Gnome apps, such as Evince and brasero, which I like;

c / it has excellent hardware support, especially for old hardware such as printers (it recognised my HP Deskjet 500 right out of the box and installed the driver without having to be told what the printer was);

d / it's derived from and builds upon Ubuntu, a good distro in its own right;

e / software upgrades and additions are easy, including the necessary dependencies;

and f / it looks good.
Lensman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lensman »

Over the years, I have generated a pile of distro disks literally 6" high. During this time I always wanted to use KDE, but in every case, the distro would have sound or video problems and we won't even touch on Flash player under 64 bit issues that all the distros had.

My first taste of Mint was Cassandra, which worked just fine under Gnome, but I grew restless and decided to try Fedora for a couple of years. Fedora 64 bit seemed to work fine in Gnome, but it still wasn't KDE, so when I saw a new distro of Mint with KDE, I jumped on it. Also, I decided to use the 32 bit version and forgo the full use of my 8G of RAM. The install went perfectly and everything felt 'snappy', with the most beautiful GUI I had ever used. Everything was roses until I tried to get sound through my browser...silence. The sound didn't work! I messed around with various settings in the GUI and only managed to disable the sound to my movies as well. I was just about to throw in the towel, when I remembered a post mentioning the alsamixer, so I entered the alsamixer through the terminal and pinned every slider I could find. Lo and behold, the sound worked!

Now I am enjoying KDE Helena and enjoying Linux more than ever. :D
Linux User #384582
Linux Mint 10 'Julia'
pongo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pongo »

I have been putting friends and family on Mint for a year or two now. Mainly because I can give them a CD and in a half hour or so they have a working system (I mostly tell them to just let it take the whole disk and kill Windows). I get fewer calls in the middle of the night with Mint than with any other distro I've tried.

I used SuSE for years and liked it pretty well. Lately I've gotten lazy. Mint needs less tweeking than SuSE and since everyone else I care about is using Mint if they're on Linux at all I just figured it would be just as well if I used it too. Since I use my computer to get real work done the "just works" aspect of Mint is very agreeable.

My wife is a published author and former labourer in a Microsoft-oriented university IT sweatshop. It was a bit difficult to wean her off of MS Word and WinXP. Eventually she saw the handwriting on the wall re XP (as in they're going to stop supporting a 10 year old OS) and tried Windows 7. She found that weird, as I do. I started her with SuSE but then figured that she could probably help herself upgrading Mint and that is less certain with SuSE. At my age, what happens after I croak is a growing concern. It turns out that she likes Mint and OpenOffice just fine and my life is good.
miles quondam et Sinese
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

pongo wrote: At my age, what happens after I croak is a growing concern.
That is one part of the reason why I wanted Linux. Windows had grown beyond my ability to keep up with its disorganization I mean complexity. I had considered moving to a Mac when my husband dies (highly likely to be within the next ten years, plus he's in a high-risk job so *looks outside at snow* 'tonight' is equally possible), however the direction that Apple has taken towards its products and users left me feeling extremely reluctant. Plus, we'd wanted to try Linux for a long time (I used to love Unix) but never quite got an installation to work. While searching for information about Ubuntu, I found several mentions of Linux Mint that were very favourable. So, I hopped onto the Mintwagon with Elyssa and haven't looked back. I'm not nearly as frustrated as I was with Windows, my computer is fun to use again, and I feel much more in control of it (it doesn't control me anymore :lol: ) I now feel that when my husband does pass on, I will be able to address my own computer issues.
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

For me it was the $8,000 sign on bonus. :wink:
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
:lol: Why didn't I get mine? :mrgreen:
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
Lensman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lensman »

markfiend wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote:
:lol: Why didn't I get mine? :mrgreen:
The cheque's in the mail. :lol:
Linux User #384582
Linux Mint 10 'Julia'
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
They only gave you "8" ? :(

I guess the 'sign-on' bonus will increase as the version number of LinuxMint increases? Next time you should get "9" :lol:
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
stilesalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stilesalaska »

Been on linux for 3 years now, used Ubuntu, for 2 of them! But Mint is just right! I am Very more than pro! Just easy! And Fast! Just the BEST! Can you beat it? NO! No User groups in Alaska, But i am trying!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God
That such men lived.

General George S. Patton, Jr

http://profiles.friendster.com/randystiles
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bug67 »

stilesalaska wrote:Been on linux for 3 years now, used Ubuntu, for 2 of them! But Mint is just right! I am Very more than pro! Just easy! And Fast! Just the BEST! Can you beat it? NO! No User groups in Alaska, But i am trying!
Let's start one! :D

Switched to Mint a while back from Ubuntu (Jaunty). I LOVED it from first use. However, as many may know, yesterday (4/29/10) Ubuntu released Lucid. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and install. I poked around for about 10 minutes and decided there was no way! In ANOTHER 10 minutes, I had Mint re-installed and up and running. Thank you, Mint Development Team, for NOT fixing what WASN'T broken to begin with and making, IMO, the best Linux distro out there.
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

bug67 wrote:
stilesalaska wrote:Been on linux for 3 years now, used Ubuntu, for 2 of them! But Mint is just right! I am Very more than pro! Just easy! And Fast! Just the BEST! Can you beat it? NO! No User groups in Alaska, But i am trying!
Let's start one! :D

Switched to Mint a while back from Ubuntu (Jaunty). I LOVED it from first use. However, as many may know, yesterday (4/29/10) Ubuntu released Lucid. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and install. I poked around for about 10 minutes and decided there was no way! In ANOTHER 10 minutes, I had Mint re-installed and up and running. Thank you, Mint Development Team, for NOT fixing what WASN'T broken to begin with and making, IMO, the best Linux distro out there.
LOLing like a madman picturing the two of you sitting in a rustic cabin over a couple of beers saying, "well, what do we do now?"

:lol:
vtired
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vtired »

Simply the best that I know.
mehmet7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mehmet7 »

Actually I have been interested in Linux for a long time and did experiment a little bit. Later, i started with Linux Ubuntu first as a netbook remix (still using it) then, besides my desktop PC (still running on Win XP) I installed Kubuntu on my notebook. Kubuntu was OK and I did like it, nevertheless the interface and desktop was not really my favourite.
After version Kubuntu 10.04 came out I decided to update, but as the connection cable was pulled out by mistake a total reinstall was unavoidable. I was not too unhappy though, looked trough a few different distributions, and stumbled upon Mint- and immediately liked it due to its design, the interface and the fact that as it is related to Ubuntu which i was familiar with. I am very satisfied with Mint, especially media and office applications- in fact I am very comfortable writing my PhD thesis on my Mint laptop, with backups in other systems. The only reason I have not totally switched to Mint is that I do like games and I could only run a few with Wine. Anyway, I am aware that gaming is not (yet) really one of the things to be expected from Mint right now. summed up, I like Mint as aesthetic, user friendly and easy to use (especially for beginners) distribution and I think I will stick to Mint.
allypink
Level 3
Level 3

Post by allypink »

I have been with ubuntu since karmic which was wonderfull and changed to lucid but found it too buggy and iffy. Maybe after a couple of months of tightning up the system it will be OK, but not at the mo.
Sill loved the concept and heard about mint. Changed to M9....... love it; no problems what-so-ever..... smooth as a babies bum!
So; thanks ubuntu and mint!
;)
Desktop; DELL Optiplex Core 2 Quad 8GB RAM
Run Mint 17.1, 1TB WD black 7200 and Win 7 320GB WD black 7200 (gotta for work)
A happy donor to the effort. If you use it...... DONATE!
Alex Steiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alex Steiner »

Hmmm, I've been with XP since about 2003, recently shifted to Isadora on my laptop.

I think the final thing was a slow motherboard failure on another desktop, which killed everything. Took a full day to reinstall XP, and then gets the necessary updates and patches. Other factors included the upcoming lack of support for XP (it's getting old), my old laptop not capable of doing Vista or 7, curiosity (major factor), and the cost.

I decided at that point to look into Linux. After doing some reading, learning about LiveCDs, Dual Booting and the major "types" of Linux, I initially decided to go Ubuntu. After doing some research, and the bad rap 10.04 is getting (and seeing the horrible colour scheme), I broadened my search again. After looking for some user-friendly distros, I settled on mint for its out-of-the-box mindset. After seeing that a new release (Isadora) was upcoming, I decided to wait.

Downloaded the dvd iso, used UNetBootin to make a USB, finding out the laptop can't boot from USB, reviving the aforementioned desktop from USB to use the burner, finally got myself a LiveCD. Booted my laptop, crash, compatability mode, graphics issues, finally got it installed in a 20GB partition (in a 60GB hard drive, now trying to increase it) to test the waters. After doing the basic fixes (boot splash etc), setting up some simple customizations, I found my way around (great menu btw).

Haven't booted XP since.
gogogadget
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gogogadget »

Switched to Mint, because of preinstalled codecs and it is important for me to have it all on 1 CD, a cd other people can have access too. What I now say may sound disturbing to you but I prefer the Ubuntu 10.04 look compared to the all green of Mint^^. So if there was an Ubuntu with preinstalled media/codecs I'd use that instead...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”