Why did you switch to linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mehmet7
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by mehmet7 »

Another reason for me to switch to Mint is the simple fact that problems I had faced with my laptop`s wireless internet connection with Windows (but also Kubuntu) are simply non-existent anymore! It just works!!!
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

LinuxMInt is well known throughout the GNU/Linux OS World ... for having that "outa the box" experience. :mrgreen:
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I tried many disto live cd's, and Mint was the only one that seemed to recognize everything on my HP laptop. But the main reason was the community.
Second to none! I read and re-read the forums and was really impressed how friendly and helpful everyone is. I no longer distro hop. Reading the Mint forums is the first thing I do now when I get on the computer, even before checking my email. It feels great to belong to such a wonderful group of people.
Thanks for letting me be a part of it.
Mint MATE 20.1
roid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roid »

I switched to linux mint from windows XP which dont get me wrong xp is a fine operating system for the first few months of install. I use my computer for Work, Tv, Movies and surfing the net, so it is important that when I want to do something I can. With linux mint I dont have to install updates if I dont want to and even when I do install updates it takes 10 minutes instead of a hour. I dont have to worry as much about malicious programs. Most important is stability. I have found linux mint to be far more stable than any previous windows system I have used. Dont get me wrong every now and again something goes wrong but its normally simple enough to solve, if I cant solve it myself quick google or a look on the ubuntu or LM forum and there is normally a solution.

Linux mint was my first leap in to linux computing and I havent looked back since. With the release of LM9 I have removed windows completely from my computer as i find I no longer use it.
Intel Atom 1.6Ghz N270 Processor, 1GB Ram, 160GB storage. Not much to brag about :P
calinut1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by calinut1 »

I switched to Linux Mint 9 from Ubuntu 10.04(I dropped Windows long, long ago...) because I jsut like it. I like the feeling, the style and the operating system itself. I like that some passioned people gathered together and made something really good. I really like Linux Mint, there's something special about it and I don't know what :D

Anyways, I really appreciate your work and effort!
Linux Mint is the best!
allypink
Level 3
Level 3

Post by allypink »

Alex Steiner wrote:Hmmm, I've been with XP since about 2003, recently shifted to Isadora on my laptop.

I think the final thing was a slow motherboard failure on another desktop, which killed everything. Took a full day to reinstall XP, and then gets the necessary updates and patches. Other factors included the upcoming lack of support for XP (it's getting old), my old laptop not capable of doing Vista or 7, curiosity (major factor), and the cost.

I decided at that point to look into Linux. After doing some reading, learning about LiveCDs, Dual Booting and the major "types" of Linux, I initially decided to go Ubuntu. After doing some research, and the bad rap 10.04 is getting (and seeing the horrible colour scheme), I broadened my search again. After looking for some user-friendly distros, I settled on mint for its out-of-the-box mindset. After seeing that a new release (Isadora) was upcoming, I decided to wait.

Downloaded the dvd iso, used UNetBootin to make a USB, finding out the laptop can't boot from USB, reviving the aforementioned desktop from USB to use the burner, finally got myself a LiveCD. Booted my laptop, crash, compatability mode, graphics issues, finally got it installed in a 20GB partition (in a 60GB hard drive, now trying to increase it) to test the waters. After doing the basic fixes (boot splash etc), setting up some simple customizations, I found my way around (great menu btw).

Haven't booted XP since.
:? I still run XP, but only in VirtBox as the Australian tax software can only be run on MS. That's the only time I use it. I also had to use it for running Citrix to access work server, but since then have managed to get Citrix to work on Mint but had no success on any other distro.
Desktop; DELL Optiplex Core 2 Quad 8GB RAM
Run Mint 17.1, 1TB WD black 7200 and Win 7 320GB WD black 7200 (gotta for work)
A happy donor to the effort. If you use it...... DONATE!
SMT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMT »

I have used various Linux distros for work and when I was ins the US Navy since 2000. I never intended to use it on my laptop until i needed to create a configuration CD for the newest version of a piece of software that we were going to be delivering to Submarines. Its wasent complicated but it was tedious, and at the time I was working on it there was a Navy Training session in the Lab where I was working that was going to take all week, forcing me to come in on the back shift to finish the configuration CD. So I installed Mandriva on my laptop as a dual boot and went to my office to finish the Routes Config CD. Mandriva did not like the chipset in my Dell D810 and I had several issues getting it installed and I never did get the internet connection working. But I did have fun playing with the installation and trying to use Linux outside of the Navy Combat Control system that I was used to seeing it on. After getting Ubuntu installed with NO issues and using Karmic for a couple of weeks, I was so happy i went distro hopping, Red Hat, Ubuntu, SUSE, eventually landing on Mint. Have since upped to 9.0 and love it more every day.

Interesting fact for you Linux Lovers:

US Navy Submarine Combat Control System AN/BYG-1 = 58 processors. 50 Red Hat, 2 Mandriva, 2 Debian, 2 CentOS, 2 HP UX, 0 Windoze.

US Navy Submarine Sonar ARCI 8 AN/ BQQ-10= 76 Processors 100% Linux (red hat but still Linux)
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

I started playing with Linux since Gloria, And tried Jaunty And karmic which is Ubuntu. My main OS was Windows XP and then Windows 7. I've dabbled with Fedora, Peppermint, Opensuse But never got on with them.In fact the only Operating system so far apart from windows that I am getting on along nicely with is Isadora.

I have now ditched windows for Isadora, The reason is that I like how mints built and that you have full control over it with no need for anti-virus, defragging and whatever else windoze requires. No little updates on mint to prove you have a genuine copy either and Linux mint is more safer than windows. I also like free software that works well. I like mint because you don't have lots of background programmes eating away at your ram.

I also like Linux mint for the " Out of the box" Experience.
BlubberLord
Level 1
Level 1

Why did I switch to linux mint?

Post by BlubberLord »

Hi there,
I'd been using Windows for years. The main reason was gaming. Some years ago I tried OpenSuse Linux first. It was horrible, I couldn't even read and write on my Windows HDD without help. Watching DVDs or playing MP3-Files without experience with Linux, the Terminal and so on? Impossible! I thought by myself: "Forget Linux, Windows is working well."
Now I wanted to install a free, secure and easy handable system with the ability to play every media type on an older PC without internet. Mint seemed to be a good option.
So I burned a live CD of Linux Mint and tested it on a new PC. It took a too long time to boot but as it was loaded succesfully I was astonished. I was able to access all my HDDs and USB sticks and Mint played absolutely every media file I had. That was more than Windows was ever able to, Windows didn't play .flv files and sometimes didn't play the sound of .mpg files - Mint did everything perfect. Also internet connection through a LAN worked at startup. Applications for all my purposes were installed at startup and with the Synaptic packet manager I was able to access a huge pool of applications. Just five minutes after I started the live version of Linux Mint it convinced me to use it from now on. Only for gaming I'll have to switch to Windows.
And on the old PC Mint worked nearly perfect, also with a harddisc installation it took a very long time to boot and it never shuts down correctly.
But better wait a bit more than try and fail to make an other Linux distribution such comfotable or be annoyed by Windows anymore.
mehmet7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mehmet7 »

Addon: it is just reliable and superb!
Just today while writing a long e-mail with Firefox on Mint a short power cutoff happened, usually (on Win even with Firefox) the data would have been lost, I was delighted and surprised to find out all everything was saved after restart!
Stealing_Lillies
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stealing_Lillies »

I switched because I see allot of "guru's" on other sites get mad because Mints not "traditional" with linux and what not (list goes on and don’t want to start a rant). I personally think its distro envy. :twisted: But anyways, a majority of the public "average users" just want something they can use. That average person cannot just pick up a Suse disk - install it and know what to do instantly - with mint they do know what to do and can use it. To me Mint is truly a distro built for the people by the people. I don’t believe there is any better way to show the power of linux than to hand someone a Mint disk and tell them to enjoy. Besides ---> Who can beat the support and sexiness’ that the Mint team and the mint community provide for the price tag? Rock on!
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

I never even heard of linux before I read an ad in the local paper looking for salesmen. I went to the interview and that was my very 1st time even hearing the name. Long story short it didn't work. They were trying to do the same thing as Redhat. Anyways, after I learned a bit more I started to download ISO's after ISO's installing them playing with them for a couple of weeks then moving on. It was a customer of my son's who told him abut Mint. So I downloaded the ISO installed. At first has a few issues (dont' remember what # it was been a coouple of years) But the folks on the board was not only very helpful but also very patient and kept telling me there is no stupid ?. Well the laptop I had Mint on died and got a new one for work. Had to have M$ due to programs I had to run. When that job stoped I was able to put Mint 8 on it. (sony vaio) I was ready to find the same problems I did when I first install on the tosh. I had. In fact was "almost" looking wardward to it (yeah glutten for punishement LOL) But I installed and BANG everything worked right out of the box. So why did I move to Mint? It's better than M$. The people on the boards are nicer when it comes to answering newbie ?'s than on other boards. I did try about 10 diff distro's before landing on Mint. And board support was the selling point to me.

James
dukhia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dukhia »

Windows user for 7 years :D.......
Someone in other forum had a tutorial for installing Ubuntu....was impressed by the features, installed Ubuntu Lucid.
Another guy asked me to try Linux Mint, tried it, found it better than Ubuntu. Am using it now :mrgreen:
Brad

Post by Brad »

cause it the best
alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alpha1 »

I had a few problems with my Win XP.
Was working fine - but some malware trojan busted it.
though I removed that infection - it was downhill from then on ... some or the other problem every week.

Got tired, was looking out for distros that work out of the box and are simple enough to configure using GUI.
(Though I have experience with Red Hat 5 years back, when most of the stuff was done on shell and conf files)

Ubuntu came up as perfect choice - based on most sites.
Nearly same time Win XP died. Wouldn't boot past the initial screen.

Thats when I decided to get Ubuntu, but wait - saw some sites talking about Mint which is based on Ubuntu - only better.
Downloaded both, ran Live CDs - 10.04 took 380-390MB RAM, Mint 9 took 250-260MB RAM.

Media files played on Mint.

(I don't have internet connected to the old PC,to keep doing apt-get).

1...2...3... Sold to Mint.
sakisds
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sakisds »

I was using Ubuntu(started from 8.04 and kept upgrading) and Win7(dual-boot for games) and I decided to try mint some days ago. Now I am sold to mint ;)
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

I switched because I was SO tired of waiting for my computer to both boot up and slow down. And every time an "update" was installed, it slowed down even more! So I started investigating Linux OS's. After a lot of reading, I ended up at LM. I have since played with a ton of other distros, but I keep coming back to LM because it simply works, and the layout makes total sense to me. I'm also in the process of settling on my favorite DE. I like Gnome, hate KDE, and am very intrigued by XFCE. If LM9 Isadora XFCE impresses me, I'm switching to it full time!

mikhou
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Not sure if I have switched per se. I still use Windows 7 on my primary system because I am a gamer. However, I run Mint 9 on a separate system that I use frequently. If I didn't game at all I would definitely drop Windows altogether.

I was actually using openSUSE for a while. A couple years ago I tried various Linux distros on a Dell Latitude D400 because I hated Windows XP and Windows Vista wasn't an option for it. I tried PCLinuxOS 2007 due to some recommendations from online people. I didn't like it. It was far too easy to screw up. I tried Fedora 8 Werewolf and that was a complete failure. It wasn't designed for laptops. It didn't even support WPA2 out of the box for the Intel 2200BG wireless adapter. I tried Ubuntu and just didn't like Gnome at all. So I tried out KDE with Kubuntu and that didn't make me happy either. I even tried out Sun Solaris on the laptop, wasn't functional at all. Then I tried out openSUSE 10.3 and became quite happy. It worked right out of the box on the D400, even WPA2 worked perfectly.

I ended up giving the laptop away and stopped using Linux for a while. Recently I tried out openSUSE again in a VM, version 11.2. No, I wasn't too pleased with the new KDE at all. So I went to DistroWatch to look at other options. I had heard people online talk about Linux Mint. So I went to the website, downloaded the live DVD and I have been hooked, even though it is using Gnome (which I previously didn't like). I think this interface and layout fits all of my needs perfectly. The crew that put Mint together did an outstanding job. It has good lines, functionality, ease of use, support and the wallpaper selection was the cherry on top. That shows professionalism even though I know it was Mint artists that contributed to it. Good job on the developers to include that.

Now? I really like Linux Mint 9. I am 100% satisfied using my Mint system all day until I get that urge to game. Then I kind of have to go back to my Windows 7 system. Kudos to all and you have a fan for life! Outstanding community as well. Very supportive!
thenewguy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thenewguy »

I actually stumbled into Mint. I was reviewing a bunch of different Linux distributions for work. I ran Mint 8 for a week and, when the review was over, I didn't want to go back to my regular OS. Mint made things so much easier, stayed out of the way and was much faster. So I decided to use it full-time on my home machine.
lashram
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lashram »

Well I switched to LinuxMint 9 about 1 week ago. I still have windows 7 on my other laptop that my kids use for school and gaming. I originally downloaded Mint and tried it in a VM but after trying it for about 2 days i decided to use it as my main OS on my personal laptop. I have been using Linux for about 6 years now. I mainly used Ubuntu but also tried several other distros. I recently became frustrated and upset with Windows so I have been using mostly Linux on my computer for a while now. After trying Mint I just fell in love with the menu and the way things were organized.I also like the fact that almost all of the codecs I needed to play my movies and music files worked right out of the box. I have so far been able to do almost everything on my laptop using Linux that i used to do when using Windows.I guess to sum it up i love the freedom to be able to not only just use an OS but also the freedom to customize it and possibly enhance to make it better for everyone that uses it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”