Why did you switch to linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by Colonel Panic »

I haven't been back here for a couple of months, and that's because I haven't needed to - for the most part, Mint just works.

Well done devs and everyone who's worked on Mint by contributing bug reports etc. (I'm using Mint 8 XFCE).
stormfede
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stormfede »

I switched to the LXDE version of Mint a few days ago from PC Linux. I stopped using PC Linux because it kept dropping my internet connection on me. I'm happy I made the switch, Mint LXDE, it's been running like a dream for me so far and my internet connection hasn't dropped since.
avcrk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avcrk »

Why did I switch ?
I have wanted to try Linux mint for a few years now, as I have heard good reports about this distro'.
Earlier versions never seem to get past setup for me, but finally, it took Mint version 9 to finally install successfully on my machine, and except for the battery meter giving false readings it works well.
It does what I want so far, and since I use open office for business work, it should move over fine if I so decide.
Windows is ok, but too many games to be taken too seriously now, plus am tired of lending out my pc so antivirus companies have some where to run their software. After paying for my computer I want to have full control and not the left over access when the antivirus software / anti spyware etc gives it back to me.
I run a couple of new imacs and some mac book pros, and I like them as much as I am liking this mint 9.
Since spreadsheets and heavy calculations are my work, there isnt the variety of spreadsheets on the mac, like there is for linux. I mean, os/x has excel 2008, about 10 times slower than open office, and of course open office. Iworks numbers is not a serious contender for real number crunching for me.
But on linux , there is gnumeric, kspread, open office etc, and plan to work my way through them all to find if open office has any serious competition out there - its just so fast on a single cpu, and cant wait for it to develop for dual core. (Yes, the software is still for single core of yesteryear like celerons etc, but slams through numbers damn fast)
Where this chinwagging is leading, is that I can forget about the o/s and be productive.
As much as I appreciate all the preventatives that antivirus companies create, bless their little cotten socks one and all, their software is a necessary evil needed on windows and about as helpful to my daily productivity as a third nostril.
Ubuntu was tried for a while, but wasnt setup to work out of the box. Frustrating and fun, and wont be ignored.
This linux mint feels right, and rinky-dink, and best of all leaves me alone to get on with it.
I like that and is why it is going to be kept on my favourite machine.

Cheers all and thankyou for reading my opinion,
Adrian
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I never had to use my personal pc for work; the boss provided that. My pc was for FUN. My natural curiosity and enjoyment of trying to figure out things started way back with the Timex-Sinclair 1000, then Vic 20, then Atari 800xl, then real desktop pc's. Then OS's from DOS through Windows 7. But they weren't as much fun because you weren't so much at the root (ha ha) of the system with Windows. Tried Ubuntu, PCLOS, and a few others, but they were not as much FUN as Mint.
Mint MATE 20.1
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

I have been using Linux for 10 years, Mint is the easiest of them all with pre installed most of the progarms you want to use, it has all the drivers installed and I like the green colour, it is differnet from the other distro's

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

IMHO LinuxMINT is the easiest way for Windows users to turn them to Linux :D
And when they become more skilled Linux users or when they got need for a special purpose, they will change the target OS/distro, why not, it's o.k.

But for beginners as well as for resellers without target group it's the best distro I have tested (I tested open/freeBSD, Fedora, Suse, Mandrake/Mandriva, Redhat, Slackware, K/UBuntu, Greenie).

However I have such experiences with Mint + KDE that KDE si not enough stable due it crashed many times :?
I do suppose it's about KDE but Mint + gnome works correctly, no crashes :D
abhitux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abhitux »

I found default Ubuntu 10.04 version to be buggy and bloated. It lacked the consistency of themes, menu options etc etc. in the default version. I needed a stable version without the hassle of searching what went wrong with every update.

I'd be happy if they made Mint as a rolling release based on Ubuntu :)
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

About a year ago, I was so fed up with how slow Vista was operating (particularly with an encrypted hard drive) that I decided that I had to do something. I had heard of Linux, but I had never used it. After doing a lot of online research, I saw that Linux Mint was recommended as a good beginner distro. I have learned a lot in the last year, and I have played with a LOT of other distros. (I probably need to throw away some live CDs that are sitting around here.) I have also experimented with all kinds of DEs as well - Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, and Openbox (very briefly). In the end, I keep coming back to Mint - even after gaining some knowledge and going on to more "intermediate/advanced" OS's. In particular, now I am running LMDE. I decided to install the XFCE4 metapackage on it to see if it was even snappier, and I find that I'm quite impressed with LMDE as it was released.

My only negative to Linux Mint is that it seriously kills my distrohoppin jones.

mikhou
deleted

Post by deleted »

mikhou wrote: My only negative to Linux Mint is that it seriously kills my distrohoppin jones.
mikhou
That's what vmware is for;)
-Hinto
SMT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMT »

mikhou wrote: My only negative to Linux Mint is that it seriously kills my distrohoppin jones.
mikhou
i hear that.. really.. i have done some pretty tough distro hoppin and i keep comparing everything to mint. I know thats unfair and any particular distro has its good and bad qualities. But the overall experience and freshness and ease of use with mint leaves everything else in the dust, and me kinda disappointed. I really like Crunchbang and OpenGEU is beautiful! but the biggest difference in any other Linux experience and Mint ? The community. The people here and on IRC are the best out there. IMO No other distro provides as knowledgeable, and friendly an experience as mint. That is unless you pay for it.

SMT
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

SMT wrote:
mikhou
i hear that.. really.. i have done some pretty tough distro hoppin and i keep comparing everything to mint. I know thats unfair and any particular distro has its good and bad qualities. But the overall experience and freshness and ease of use with mint leaves everything else in the dust, and me kinda disappointed. I really like Crunchbang and OpenGEU is beautiful! but the biggest difference in any other Linux experience and Mint ? The community. The people here and on IRC are the best out there. IMO No other distro provides as knowledgeable, and friendly an experience as mint. That is unless you pay for it.

SMT
SMT,

I'm in agreement with you. If I wasn't using LM, I would be using Crunchbang Statler XFCE. I really, really, like it. I just don't like it enough to change to it from LM as my primary OS. It's the only OS still installed in Virtualbox. The others just weren't getting enough play to take up space on my hard drive. I could see myself going with Crunchbang sometime in the future just to do something different (but I'd have to talk myself out of Mint first which won't happen).

mikhou
blackplague1347
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackplague1347 »

I switched to Mint 9 for one simple reason: Java.

You see, I installed Ubuntu via a cd I got in the mail, but the problem is that my college uses a Java applet for non-Windows users to log on to the network. Since Ubuntu didn't come with Java, I couldn't get online. Still having Windows on my machine, I decided that if a distro doesn't come with basics such as Java installed, it's not the distro for me. So I checked out a few on distrowatch and after hours of shopping around, I decided to give Mint a try. Having a torrent download available didn't hurt either, since our internet is sloooowwww here at school.

So here I am, prepared to uninstall Ubuntu and ready to make Mint my main OS (once I get to the point where I feel completely comfortable using it, I'll probably remove Windows 7 from my machine as well).
frodopogo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frodopogo »

1. A couple of years ago, my favorite music forum had a malware attack, and my XP desktop got a mild infection. Made me nervous.... wanted a backup plan, and a safe way to browse the site during the attack.
2. Tried Knoppix, and was impressed with it, but it ONLY runs as a Live CD...
and the background of Spitzbergen was a bit too chilly for me!
3. Kept hearing this buzz about "Ubuntu this" and "Ubuntu that" so I tried it,
but I'm not fond of the color brown, or having the menu bar ON TOP
Yeah, I know now I could have tweaked that stuff, but I'm getting TIRED of tweaking operating systems getting everything just right, and then I don't use the OS that long- a waste of time.
4. Tried Mint (Elyssa 5)- I LIKE GREEN... and an extra layer of bug fixing and user friendliness seemed like something I could get used to real easy, so I installed it as a dual boot setup on my desktop computer.
5. Audacity is available for Linux, and that's what I record music with.
6. Someone gave me a laptop with a 40 gig hard drive, and a 10 year old XP installation with lots of problems, so I downloaded Mint Isadora, tried it, liked it, and installed it.
Elyssa was OK, but I liked the XP look and feel marginally better (after changing it to the Win98 look!). Now I like Isadora's look and feel over XP.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Just 4 words: OUT OF THE BOX
LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP »

Have to say like a lot of people I was getting frustrated by the whole malware security problems with Vista. I was letting my roommate share my laptop ; yeah i know major security risk there. after several trojans from her downloading free screensavers and such I looked into linux. Tried ubuntu not really happy with that ran across some great reviews of mint 8 . Downloaded Helena and she seduced me :lol: Upgaded to 9 only because I like the idea of a LTS. Dual-booted with vista rarely used it. After getting stupid with gparted one day and b0rking my vista partition went to using mint only with no regrets :D . Have to add the way Clem incorpororated the fwcutter for handling my broadcom wireless made switching to mint a real no-brainer for me.
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

It took a bit me too find Mint. Like most users I had no clue there was a choice of OS's out there. There was a new company who opened up here trying to copy Redhat. They were giving out free CD's one time so I took one. That's when I started doing my research on Linux. I really liked what I read about it. So I got an old computer and started trying distro's after distro's. No matter what one I tried I couldn't get the sound to work in this computer (Didn't know about Mint yet) so one day I was at the pawn shop they had an old dell cheap so bought it. Again started trying distro after distro. Did get the sound to work in each one but it was a bit of command line work. No real problems I knew the issues with the first one I was trying wasn't so much the OS as the machine or user error. I knew after reading about Linux I wanted to try it. Plus I had NEVER met software I couldn't make work and wasn't going to let Linux beat me. So I landed on one and was playing around with it, wasn't real happy with it but it was the lesser of the 40 evils. LOL So now I had a desktop that had Linux on it. I was have a ton of fun learning this new program. One day my son came home from work ( he worked at radio shack) he told me this guy came in to get a laptop and when he went to pitch Vista the guy told him not to bother he ran Linux. So my son asked which one, Mint of course. So he came home and told about it. So look it up, down load the Cd and do an install. At this point I really didn't have anything that couldn't be replaced, plus I had read that some of the features aren't accessible with the live CD. So each one I tried I always did a full install on. Anyway, I really liked how it look the feel the features EVERYTHING. So I because a Mint user. I put it on the Dell I got, took some tweaking to get the sound working but it wasn't really that hard with the help you get here from the boards. Then I put it on my tosh laptop. That was a bit harder seeing as I have video, sound and wireless problems. But the research I had done told me too expect that. Again never met a program I couldn't figure out. So got all of them working and LOVED it. That laptop died and I got a job where I needed a laptop but of course had to use the preloaded OS :o(. When that job ended I just keep using it for a time. Then I had a quad bi pass and was sitting around board out of my mind (can only take so much day time TV) so thought Mint. I'll say I was a bit disappointed in 9, everything worked right out of the box LOL. I was looking forward to "fighting' with it some to get it too work. Well that laptop died, my grandson spilled his milk on it (yeah my fault should have been picked up). So got married and my new wife has a HP slim line. Took some talking but got her too let me put Mint on it. Again everything worked right out of the box. Well everything "important" Had some video issues but it wasn't a Mint issues it was a flash player issues, they did an upgrade and fixed it. The only real problem I have now is her Ipod nano, but really haven't done much looking on how to fix it.

So that's how I became a Mint user. I tell everyone who will listen about Mint. I have converted 2 or 3 to it. Most are worried about the learning curve, guess not everyone is like me. It was the curve that "talked" me into trying Linux in the first place, but I am told I am a gluten for punishment. Guess that explains the new marriage ;o)

James
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

jokersloose wrote:...
Nice story :)
BTW what is "a quad bi pass" ?
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

quadrupedal by pass. The arteries in my heart was 100% clogged so they had to take some out of my legs and "by pass" the ones in my heart. Not something I would suggest having done LOL

James
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

jokersloose wrote:quadrupedal by pass. The arteries in my heart was 100% clogged so they had to take some out of my legs and "by pass" the ones in my heart. Not something I would suggest having done LOL

James
I supposed that it's been something like that. Well, I do suggest you to be interested in canistherapy/dogtherapy or even buy a dog because dogs are very helpful, not only for cardiacs but for autistic people and many others :idea:
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Oh have a rototiller. She's a brat, thinks she's a lapdog LOL

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”