Page 8 of 11

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:10 pm
by waldo
jokersloose wrote:Oh have a rototiller. She's a brat, thinks she's a lapdog LOL
"Rototiller"???? :lol: :lol: :lol: Woof? May be just the thing to use on those clogged arteries. Oh, wait a minute! That's a rotorooter. :D Whatever.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:20 pm
by jokersloose
:lol: :lol: :lol: I almost spit me tea out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:14 pm
by NumberSeventeen
Because my notebook needed a clean install and I wanted to try something different.
Not regret.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm
by kvv
Random Member wrote:..awesome forum..
I agree with this. The forum support and the seriously bad-ass community plays a big role towards Mint's popularity. I am a part of about 3 - 4 online forums, and few are as helpful as this one, without sacrificing on the cool factor. :)
Random Member wrote:..switching to special purpose distros..
Unless u are using a highly specialized version like an embedded os or rtos or something funky like that, i can't imagine why a distribution cannot be modified to suit your purposes.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:12 pm
by linuxviolin
kvv wrote:[Unless u are using a highly specialized version like an embedded os or rtos or something funky like that, i can't imagine why a distribution cannot be modified to suit your purposes.
Well, OK, but sometimes this can be a "heavy" work, especially if you are not a somewhat advanced user, so it is often easier to use an already ready distro... :wink:

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:33 am
by miez
Because it's faster than Windows 7 premium for my netbook. Practiclly no virussus/spyware and it's free :D . Even my girlfriend likes it. Have to dual boot tough, because she's using a program for school, and it doesn't work under Linux mint with wine.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:54 am
by Elisa
miez wrote:...because she's using a program for school, and it doesn't work under Linux mint with wine.
What's the name of the program?

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:09 pm
by kvv
linuxviolin wrote: Well, OK, but sometimes this can be a "heavy" work, especially if you are not a somewhat advanced user, so it is often easier to use an already ready distro... :wink:
Well, it was an honest question, actually. Although, I am not much of an advanced user, I thought that specialized applications would be available (from source code) for all distros, and not just one or two.

I think my question comes down this: what is so different about two linux distributions, that someone may want to switch because of his work. I have used just 3 distributions so far (Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint, and to some extent CentOS and RedHat). While I like mint the best, I see no reason why the others can't get my job done. :)

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm
by Nightstrike2009
I had used Linux Mint before and liked it, the idea of "Unity" being default in Ubuntu 11.04 caused me to jump ship (I can't stand it) and after a brief spell of distro hopping (Debian & Fedora) decided with Linux Mint as my new Operating System and have not looked back yet.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:28 am
by markfiend
kvv wrote:I think my question comes down this: what is so different about two linux distributions, that someone may want to switch because of his work. I have used just 3 distributions so far (Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint, and to some extent CentOS and RedHat). While I like mint the best, I see no reason why the others can't get my job done. :)
It depends really. Yes, in theory, in any distro you can download and compile the source for ProjectWhatever, And in theory you can customise any Linux install to do almost anything, but most distros provide repositories. Most people will stick to the software available in their distro's repositories.

The point being, the version of ProjectWhatever in your favoured distro's repositories might be different from the standard download-and-compile-your-own version (compatibility bug-fixes for example) and a distro focussed more on bleeding-edge software might have a more up-to-date version than a distro focussed on stability. For example, The version of Firefox in Debian Stable's repositories (well, technically it's Iceweasel in Debian) is 3.0.6-3 whereas Arch Linux has 3.6.12-1 in their repositories.

No distros bother providing all the software there is available though; after all, how likely is it that Linux Mint users will need a utility to provide USB control of a nuclear-powered waffle-iron (to provide a ridiculous example)? It does take some effort (testing, bandwidth, storage space etc.) to put software into a repo, so if it's something of limited use or interest, you will probably have to install from source.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:06 am
by Divider
Ubuntu 10 did it in for me, when they made it look like a mac OS I was thru with it, this is linux, not OSX Snow Leopard. I found linux mint and INSTANTLY fell in love, it was imho, an upgrade package for ubuntu.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 pm
by JonM33
Divider wrote:Ubuntu 10 did it in for me, when they made it look like a mac OS I was thru with it, this is linux, not OSX Snow Leopard. I found linux mint and INSTANTLY fell in love, it was imho, an upgrade package for ubuntu.
They probably figure that they are having a hard time getting people from Windows so may as well go after Apple fanatics. Most of them will be familiar with the Linux file system anyway after using Macs all day.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:31 am
by Divider
JonM33 wrote:
Divider wrote:Ubuntu 10 did it in for me, when they made it look like a mac OS I was thru with it, this is linux, not OSX Snow Leopard. I found linux mint and INSTANTLY fell in love, it was imho, an upgrade package for ubuntu.
They probably figure that they are having a hard time getting people from Windows so may as well go after Apple fanatics. Most of them will be familiar with the Linux file system anyway after using Macs all day.
Honestly, the easiest way to convert windows users is to ask them outright... what does windows actually do for you?

Most windows users do 1 of 3 things, business, internet, and gaming. Thats basically it.

Business people rely on outlook and sync with thier windows OS pda's. Also quickbooks relies on windows.

Internet, these are the easist people to convert, you just state, "This is firefox, look fimilar?" No drivers, no product activation, completely free, and they are SOLD.

Gamers, these guys are tricky, but with great support in wine for World of warcraft, and a select other titles, most people only play a handful of desirable games, and if they aren't "joe blow 1337 gamer" then they love the idea of not having to pay for an operating system.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imho, I own legit copies of XP and 7 64 bit, and I find it a pain in the ass to manually transfer dll's for better wine support, I wish someone would make a "universal" script to make sure required wine files don't get deleted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as target mac users, I think they are trying to keep linux from looking to much like windows

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 am
by JonM33
Divider wrote:Honestly, the easiest way to convert windows users is to ask them outright... what does windows actually do for you?

Most windows users do 1 of 3 things, business, internet, and gaming. Thats basically it.

Business people rely on outlook and sync with thier windows OS pda's. Also quickbooks relies on windows.

Internet, these are the easist people to convert, you just state, "This is firefox, look fimilar?" No drivers, no product activation, completely free, and they are SOLD.

Gamers, these guys are tricky, but with great support in wine for World of warcraft, and a select other titles, most people only play a handful of desirable games, and if they aren't "joe blow 1337 gamer" then they love the idea of not having to pay for an operating system.

Imho, I own legit copies of XP and 7 64 bit, and I find it a pain in the ass to manually transfer dll's for better wine support, I wish someone would make a "universal" script to make sure required wine files don't get deleted.

As far as target mac users, I think they are trying to keep linux from looking to much like windows
Well, you aren't going to convert business users because too many companies are using apps that are reliant upon Windows. Last time I checked the LiMux project started in 2003 and is only 20% complete. 7 years? Not to mention the cost of 34 million euro ($46.5 million USD) to accomplish this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux

Gamers will be almost impossible to convert unless they do like what I did, which is stop playing Windows games and get a console. The fact that most games that are on Windows are merely ports from consoles makes it even more justified not to be a Windows PC gamer. Then there's the disturbing cost of constantly upgrading and graphics cards that are $300-500 a pop.

The people you want to convert are the average e-mail, chat, internet, music downloader. Which, IMO, is the bulk of people at home. Of course there are people with their peripherals like scanners, webcams, etc. If pathetic companies like Logitech were a bit more open to open source then those problems would be solved.

Not sure what you meant by Mac users and keeping Linux from looking to much like Windows? By default, Linux Mint has a very "Windows-esque" menu and interface. Of course that can be quickly and easily modified. I think that's another problem. People are used to the strict, controlled world of Windows and Mac. You can't really change much in either of those operating systems. With Linux there isn't anything you cannot change whether on purpose or on accident. That's the emphasis of "freedom".

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:04 pm
by jfjoefrank55
Best of out the box experience I could find. Also, freedom. I only use Linux now!

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:02 am
by markfiend
JonM33 wrote:Gamers will be almost impossible to convert unless they do like what I did, which is stop playing Windows games and get a console. The fact that most games that are on Windows are merely ports from consoles makes it even more justified not to be a Windows PC gamer. Then there's the disturbing cost of constantly upgrading and graphics cards that are $300-500 a pop.
I've never understood people who are willing to drop hundreds on a new graphics card to increase their fps from 234 to 236 while the human eye can't really perceive much better than 8 fps. :lol:

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 am
by SMT
hinto wrote: ...and the Network Manager in gnome works seamlessly with my company's vpn.
One-click and I'm behind the firewall;)

Aint that the truth!! I really cannot complain about the Gnome Network Manager, its waaay better than any of the others I have used, and the one click VPN is sweet.


-SMT

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 am
by Koninator
Because i like green and black color :) I don't like orange.
Because Internet was working out of the box and i didn't know how to configure connection manager in ubuntu.

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:50 am
by hendy
I love watching HD video, listening high quality flac, editing bitmap/ photo

Mints comes bundled with multimedia codec
+ it has gimp


It fulfill my need
Do I need another reason?

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:41 pm
by kidflash
jhk30 wrote:First of all I use Windows 7 and Linux mint as of yesterday.

Why did I switch to linux mint? I love Linux for a couple reasons. FREE OS, FREE programs, Compiz Fusion!!! and thats about it.
What Operating systems do I use? Windows 7 since last year. Linux Mint as of yesterday (Dual boot)
What linux distros did I use? Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mandriva, Linux Kubuntu 9.10, Linux Mint 7

I have only used Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mandriva, and Linux Kubuntu 9.10 for a maximum of 30 minutes. Why? each distro had a problem. What problem? Some sound, Some wireless internet, and some BOTH!

I have not had a problem with Linux Mint 7 yet. I plan on upgrading to Mint 8 but not until after christmas.

I am still a noob, I don't know how to install programs to linux yet, I basically just use Software Manager.

I would like to know how to install "themes" because I really want a wicked looking theme! and I don't know how to install them. I go to http://www.gnome-look.org and then I am confused because I don't know what one I need to download and how to install it.
moved to Linux for the reason was tired of the slow down of the windows machines.
i also wanted to learn how to use Linux for awhile and so far the ride has been great.
you will run into some problems but each day it gets easier.
i am now a Linux user for 2 years solid.
:wink: