Why did you switch to linux mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why did you switch to linux mint?

Post by z06gal »

2 words = windows vista = the WORST travesty of an os I have ever had the pleasure of erasing from my hard drive. It was one crash/virus/trojan after the next so, I googled Linux and Mint was the first one to come up. I had zero clue what it was all about and didn't care. I just wanted that awful, satanic crap :mrgreen: off of my computer. I learned the true meaning of trial and error figuring out how to install and, after MANY crashes, here I am 3 yrs later and could not be happier. It is sooooo nice not having to deal with anti-virus, spyware, malware, trojans, blah blah blah. I still have so much to learn it isn't even funny but, for the most part, I have a good understanding of the basics. I have tried several other distros but, in my opinion, Mint is the best overall. It is reliable and very elegant. Clem simply does an outstanding job at providing us a solid os. My husband has a desktop with windows 7 on it he uses for work and the first week he had it, he had about 15 bsod's. It is better than vista but what isn't? Lol...that is my story :wink:

Robin
maxheadway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxheadway »

I changed from ubuntu to Linux Mint, mainly on account of the update manager and its rating system. Some updates on my Ubuntu 10.04 install trashed the theming, so I tried 11.04 and found that wanting (even the Classic desktop ended up going beserk), and have defected to Mint 9 (the last LTS). Good and stable.
Linux Mint 13 LTS
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

Nexus wrote:I was shown linux for the first time about 5 years ago when I tried, Arch Linux at the urging of a friend, it didn't sit well with me so I continued on with Windows until I stumbled on Ubuntu Studio about 2 years ago. I tried it, and liked it for the most part but found it to be a bit bloated for my needs, though it came with many programs I liked.. I was on distro-watch and saw a Mint Release notice and decided to give it a try after I'd already looked at OpenSUSE, Fedora, Gentoo and a couple of other Distros as replacements for Ubuntu Studio. I was happy with what Mint offers, though not so much the color theming (something I still don't really like, green just isn't me...), but Linux DE's are very flexible when it comes to themes so a quit stop at Gnome-look.org takes care of my only real complaint. Been using Mint ever since, though on occasion I'll still swap between Mint and other Distributions just to evaluate them, usually for no more than a couple of days then I usually back up anything I feel like keeping wipe the HDD and take 20 minutes to re-install Mint and all the programs I commonly use.

have to say i am no great green fan but if its mint its got to be green... with options of course!
viva el minto REVOLUTION!!!!!
canadianwriterman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by canadianwriterman »

I see this an old thread, but very relevant today because of the release of Ubuntu 11.04. I'm an Ubuntu refugee, as of 11.04. I've used Ubuntu full-time for the past 6 years, but the switch to the Unity interface did me in. I gave it a fair try, using it since Beta 1. But, it just doesn't work for me, for all the reasons everyone else has.

Last night, I installed Mint 11 and it just feels like I'm "home again." As I work through the setup, I'll have a few questions, which I'll post in the relevant sections of this forum. Meanwhile... thank goodness for Linux Mint!
Dell Inspiron 17, Intel Core i7-3612QM, Intel Ivybridge HD4000 graphics, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM. Running Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon.
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

Though I rarely use Mint as a primary desktop system anymore, I virtually always come back to it as a development environment for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it requires the smallest amount of effort for me to get working from a clean install. Mint really does have a very unique draw to it, and I'll probably be running some version of it for some reason or another until either me or the project kills over.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.
Matti L
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Matti L »

canadianwriterman wrote:I see this an old thread, but very relevant today because of the release of Ubuntu 11.04. I'm an Ubuntu refugee, as of 11.04. I've used Ubuntu full-time for the past 6 years, but the switch to the Unity interface did me in. I gave it a fair try, using it since Beta 1. But, it just doesn't work for me, for all the reasons everyone else has.

Last night, I installed Mint 11 and it just feels like I'm "home again." As I work through the setup, I'll have a few questions, which I'll post in the relevant sections of this forum. Meanwhile... thank goodness for Linux Mint!
Same here.
h8r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by h8r »

Because I had recently heard about Ubuntu 11.04. Read and watched some videos, and decided that with XP and Win7, I don't need Vista any more. I installed Natty over Vista. Natty blew my expectations out of the water, but it had some problems. I installed Katya OEM over Natty, and haven't found a reason (except intense games) to boot anything else since.

I did have to install the mint-flash thing for 64bit from the Software Center which was annoying, since was already preinstalled but it didn't work. Also, some flash won't show up at all, and some won't do anything except load, but that's for a new thread. Otherwise, Mint 11 is everything I hoped GNU/Linux would be, and I'm glad I switched.
MOBO: GA-EX58-UD3R rev1.6; CPU: i7 920 @ 3.82GHz; GPU: 2x GTX275; RAM: 6GB DDR2
PSU: TX850W; HDDs: 2x 500GB, 1x 250gb; Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 2; Tower: HAF 932
XP on 250GB, Win7 on 500GB, LM11 on 500GB

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”