Mint 21 Release Date? (Soon right?)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Viejo
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 21 Release Date? (Soon right?)

Post by Viejo »

I apologize as I know this is a somewhat obnoxious question that's likely been asked before, but I have a computer in the house right now that's fairly busted up and the only thing I'm waiting on before rebuilding it is for Mint 21 to come out. I've heard that Vanessa should be out either sometime this week or next, but wanted to confirm just so I know my expectations aren't too far off.

Thank you very much, and thank you for making such a great distribution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 21 Release Date? (Soon right?)

Post by SMG »

Viejo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm I've heard that Vanessa should be out either sometime this week or next, but wanted to confirm just so I know my expectations aren't too far off.
Where did you hear that?

The beta-version (pre-release testing version) for Vanessa has not yet been released so the final product is not even close to being released.

You can follow the Linux Mint Blog to get information about when the beta is released.

After beta testing and all the bug fix corrections are completed, final QA (quality assurance) testing is done. Official release will happen after all that is completed and all the ISOs are uploaded to the mirrors.

We are quite a ways off from the Mint 21 release.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Viejo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Viejo »

SMG wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:56 pm
Viejo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm I've heard that Vanessa should be out either sometime this week or next, but wanted to confirm just so I know my expectations aren't too far off.
Where did you hear that?

The beta-version (pre-release testing version) for Vanessa has not yet been released so the final product is not even close to being released.

You can follow the Linux Mint Blog to get information about when the beta is released.

After beta testing and all the bug fix corrections are completed, final QA (quality assurance) testing is done. Official release will happen after all that is completed and all the ISOs are uploaded to the mirrors.

We are quite a ways off from the Mint 21 release.
Crap, well I'm glad I asked. Apparently there's a lot of misinformed people out there, I've seen a lot of posts from normal users who for some reason think 21 is coming out this month. That did seem odd to me as (like you said) there was never a beta, and I think 20.3 just came out fairly recently.

Thank you very much for the info as well as the link on where to stay updated.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Viejo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:15 pm Apparently there's a lot of misinformed people out there
Let it phrase it so: Many people understand a text in the way, they want it to be understood. And they mysteriously read things (e.g. announcements), which have never been written. So read the blog, which gets announced in the forum. In the latest blog - 5 days old - the word beta does not even appear anywhere.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Keep an eye on this web page:
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso

..... and you'll see for yourself there, when the development bèta iso first enters the testing stage. :wink:

That said: usually, the first version of a new series like the upcoming 21 series, appears before the 14th of July. Which may or may not have anything to do with the French national holiday.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint, unlike Ubuntu, doesn't have fixed release dates. IMO that's a good thing.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
NiltonGM
Level 1
Level 1

May/2022 version

Post by NiltonGM »

When will Linux Mint 21.0 be released, due in May?
Last edited by SMG on Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Other Topics to Chat about Linux Mint and merged with existing topic on the same issue.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: May/2022 version

Post by Pjotr »

Unknown. Mint has no fixed release schedule, which makes sense for a small dev team. It's ready when it's ready.

My guess would be: barring potential disasters, probably in July.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

NiltonGM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:02 am When will Linux Mint 21.0 be released, due in May?
Linux Mint 21 was not due in May.

There are no due dates for Linux Mint releases. It is released when all coding is complete and quality control checks are done.

As of right now, it has not yet reached beta stage.

You can follow the Linux Mint Blog for updates on when a beta version is released and then later when the final version will be released.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Two topics on the same issue (Mint 21 release date) have been merged.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

NiltonGM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:02 am When will Linux Mint 21.0 be released, due in May?
This is the basis for rumors. Facts can be found (or not found, if you are too early) in the blog. And blog announcements can be found in the announcement section of the forum. Asking anyway does for sure not speed things up.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Follow the forums--it will be widely announced and discussed here
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:15 am Unknown. Mint has no fixed release schedule, which makes sense for a small dev team. It's ready when it's ready....
Debian, which does not have a small dev team, does the same thing. It;s just a good idea.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

When it's ready and not a minute before
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
sqwuade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sqwuade »

It seems like Mint 21 (Vanessa) is overdue... I've been waiting for it as well. I'm going to redo my machine with it when it's released. Better for them to get it right than to rush it out the door though! 😎
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

If you can get the site to load, the roadmap is here

Current status=postponed for desktop environment (muffin issues) so it could be a while yet.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

You are not reading that quite right. Cinnamon 5.4.x is now released (to other distros) so right now they team are dealing with the the bugs being raised by mainly the Arch Cinnamon using community who get it first. We should all be very grateful to the intrepid Arch users who effectively do the initial round of beta testing on a new Cinnamon version, before any Mint user even sees it. There are a fair few issues to work through, basically because Muffin (the window manager) has had a comprehensive re-write between 5.2 and 5.4. Once the team are happy that the major show-stoppers have been ironed out in new Cinnamon I suspect we will see a 21 beta ISO in the works. Other work is also going on right now - e.g. GTK4 support in Mint-themes etc. Could be days or weeks or months - my guess would be a week or three at this point.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I am reading it right, muffin is not ready therefore the desktop part of the ISO is postponed. Therefore the ISO is not ready.

Even if Arch/Manjaro Unstable or OpenSUSE Tumbleweed users have Cinnamon 5.4 already it makes no difference to the roadmap saying postponed right now for Mint 21 ISO. So a while yet is accurate while the bugs are ironed out and yes I'm grateful to the guinea pigs of course.

Could be days or weeks or months = a while yet
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

sqwuade wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:53 pm It seems like Mint 21 (Vanessa) is overdue.
Really? Why?

There was a time, about 10 years ago, where after each STS-ubuntu version (STS = Short time support) a new Mint version got published. In this case a new Mint version was really needed each 6 months, because STS means, no support after 9 months.

When Mint switched with LM 17 to the LTS sequence, there would had been the possibility to provide a new Mint version only each 2 years. Of course this was not wanted and especially at that time the development speed for Cinnamon (as Mint's own and primary DE) was far to quick to do a release only after 24 months. So the dot-releases have been born and the release cycle stayed at 6 months.
But this is obviously not mandatory. A new dot-release only after 9 months (or something like that) would work.

Here it goes about a new major release, but it also goes about the new upgrade tool. I don't know how the tool worked for LMDE5 and I don't know, how much work must be done for it. But sure is, that in case, that the upgrade tools would be ready only several months after the release of Mint 21 it would be partially needless. So both (Mint and tool) must be ready for release at the same time. Mint 20.x gets supported for 3 (!) more years, so there is no need to speed things up, because Mint 21 might be seen as overdue.

The users (at least I) want a usable OS, not a construction zone. This is far more important than to get a new toy after 6 months.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:31 am The users (at least I) want a usable OS, not a construction zone. This is far more important than to get a new toy after 6 months.
100% and the Mint Upgrade tool worked great for LMDE4 to LMDE5 by the way

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”