A poll about how many of us use Thunderbird

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

How do you use email on your Mint system?

I don't use email on my Mint system.
1%
I always or mostly use webmail in my browser.
26%
I always or mostly use Thunderbird.
67%
I always or mostly use a mail client that's not Thunderbird.
5%

Total votes: 153

BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A poll about how many of us use Thunderbird

Post by BenTrabetere »

dave0808 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:04 am The new version looks like it has some nice additions (not tried it yet).
I am using the unofficial AppImage with some semi-inactive email accounts on my testing machine. I took it for a test drive on AlmaLinux, LM-20, and Manjaro. I have not thoroughly tested it, but it appears to be stable on AlmaLinux and LM-20. Thunderbird is installed and fully functional on my Manjaro system - I halted the test when I first launched the AppImage it complained Tbird was already running, which suggests to me it might be accessing the same config file(s).

I do not hate the new look/feel, but I am not thrilled with it, either. It looks more like webmail than a traditional email client. The new Address Book is a very nice improvement.

The verdict: I would discourage anyone from using this AppImage on anything other than a test platform, mainly because it is an unofficial release.
https://github.com/srevinsaju/Thunderbird-AppImage
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

half-word wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:43 amThe only mail client I've ever loved was Eudora .....
Eudora (pro) and The Bat were great / maybe the best mail clients.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I installed 102 on my Windows box, and it is great, when is 102 coming to Mint?
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

Using a client is less 'global' between devices than just sticking with webmail so I've given up. Downside is less control, particularly if I want to archive for long term. But I'm lazy about email anymore. I also prefer to push conversations to slack or similar for work.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:49 am when is 102 coming to Mint?
What did I say above? viewtopic.php?p=2194541#p2194541
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:34 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:49 am when is 102 coming to Mint?
What did I say above? viewtopic.php?p=2194541#p2194541
AH, I missed that. Thanks. I downloaded it, but darn if I know how to install it. :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Had an odd issue, Thunderbird has been sending emails to spam, even when I have been corresponding with the people. Really unusual.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:22 pm Had an odd issue, Thunderbird has been sending emails to spam, even when I have been corresponding with the people. Really unusual.
If you would like help with your issue, please create a topic in the Software & Applications section of the forum and make sure to indicate what version of Thunderbird you are using and how you installed it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

SMG wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:14 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:22 pm Had an odd issue, Thunderbird has been sending emails to spam, even when I have been corresponding with the people. Really unusual.
If you would like help with your issue, please create a topic in the Software & Applications section of the forum and make sure to indicate what version of Thunderbird you are using and how you installed it.
I just wanted to comment, I think it was a momentary glitch that is all.
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccoyle »

Protonmail
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

Moem wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:16 am I'm curious about how Mint users in this forum use email. So please let us know.
Thunderbird via IMAP. My messagebase is bigger than my mail provider allows, going back several years, but Thunderbird allows me to archive older messages to local storage. The local storage is then just as browsable/searchable from my Mint workstation as the more recent online storage, while the online messages can also be accessed via IMAP from other clients such as phones.

I also use lots of mail aliases @mydomain.com so that it's less painful to ditch any that become spam magnets. Last time I looked at gmail (and most other providers actually) there was very limited support for doing that. Thunderbird allows me to send mails from different addresses easily, as well as receiving them.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Most email clients seem to work when you have one account. At one stage I was managing accounts for dozens of projects/organisations/corporations and Thunderbird was the only client that worked.

Last time I compared, Thunderbird was the only client with the settings to handle LDAP/POP/deferred/other combinations and allow instant changes when the server changed.

Wang had the only full function email and that was 40 years ago. The internet email system has never achieved the same level of service. You have to use Whatsapp to get something similar. The future will be email, signal, and Whatsapp in one protocol.
MichaelB1953
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MichaelB1953 »

Replaced Outlook Express with Thunderbird when I switched over to Linux.
Only use Thunderbird now.

MB
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Interesting thread and poll.
As some of you did I also came to Thunderbird while on Windows (same with Firebird / Firefox) years back.
Later I learned to know Seamonkey as a suite containing browser, email client, contacts and even a composer. But that didn't go much further, and luckily Opera started to have an inbuilt email client M2.
It was quite a learning curve to get accustomed to that M2. Yet I started loving Opera and used its email client for my 3 accounts on a daily base.
Then Opera removed the email client.
I went back to Thunderbird because I love working with such a client offering grouped folders for Inbox and others and including a calendar. Soon I also left thinned out Opera as a browser and turned to Firefox.

And then I discovered VIVALDI.
Since about 2 years or so it provides an inbuilt email client M3, together with calendar, contacts, notes - accessible in a sidebar - and much more.
Vivaldi is a browser and its developer team is doing its best to create an even better successor of Opera. The beta phase of the email-client is over, and it is usable now as it was in Opera. It is - like Operas M2 - based on lables instead on folders. After you learned the advantages of it you won't miss any folder structure.

I deleted Thunderbird and don't use it any longer. Yes, it was quite good for a long period. But if you don't like webmail (having more than one account to manage), it is much more comfortable to have a client within a browser. I really love Vivaldi more and more every day.

So my favorite is the combination of Linux Mint and Vivaldi browser (and a lot of more useful programs available in Mint).
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I use Thunderbird cross platform. Windows Mail is crap, so Thunderbird replaced that and because I do have multiple mail accounts and calendars to manage still I find Thunderbird the best solution. I did try Evolution, Geary and KDE's PIM suite too on different distributions but couldn't gel with any of them like Thunderbird. Claws Mail was a decent lightweight client that I used to use with Fedora MATE. I even contributed a couple of themes to Claws Mail project.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Venus Flytrap »

On my old computer with just 4GB of RAM, I reduce the RAM usage by just using webmail instead of tying up resources from running Firefox and Thunderbird concurrently. Works better for me that way.
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"
sjmathis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sjmathis »

I've used Thunderbird since Outlook Express went away, which was well before I started using Linux. My system has only 4G, and I normally have Thunderbird and Firefox open at all times, which uses about 70% of my RAM. When I start opening a lot of other stuff, my system starts swapping, which is sometimes painful, but tolerable. I've thought about getting more memory, or upgrading to a more modern system, but have been procrastinating.

My wife runs Thunderbird on Windows, and has used it for years for personal email - she gets a lot more than I do - and also for business using a second account which Thunderbird handles nicely.

The only problem we've ever had is that her system used to crash when she was compressing her folders, but that problem has not happened for a couple of years now.

If Mint dropped Thunderbird as a default mail client, I would load it and use it anyway.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

When will we be able to update to 102? Anyone know?
jackkileen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jackkileen »

Thunderbird, nothing else I've tried comes close to everything Thunderbird does when managing multiple email accounts from multiple email providers including Protonmail, RBX, gmail, etc.
And it easily manages my RSS feeds from a little over dozen different sources.
MINT: 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4_Kernel:6.5.0-15-generic - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor × 16
MX LINUX: KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5_Kernel Version 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit): X11
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:05 am When will we be able to update to 102? Anyone know?
You have to ask the Thunderbird team about that. So far, the only way to get 102 is to install it. The Thunderbird team has not provided an update path for any operating system to be able to upgrade in place to 102.

You can follow the Thunderbird Blog for updates.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”