Win 11 - oh no it's faster

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Win 11 - oh no it's faster

Post by urdrwho »

My son bought me an Acer Travelmate with 8 gig of ram and it is running windows 11 Home. Of course I immediately installed Mint 20.3.

To my dismay I am finding that Windows 11 on this machine is faster than LM 20.3. Faster at loading apps, faster at booting, etc.

What is going on in my world right now? I'm tempted to use Win 11 over LM 20.3 ---- say it's not so. Is it some kind of illusion?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Win 11 - oh no it's faster

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Frankly, I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent if Win 11 is faster than Linux. I would much rather have a slower computer I can trust and rely on than have to deal with MS' Baloney Sausage.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Turn off fast start in win and see what happens, but I'm with LadyF on this one.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

urdrwho wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:29 pm My son bought me an Acer Travelmate with 8 gig of ram and it is running windows 11 Home. Of course I immediately installed Mint 20.3.

To my dismay I am finding that Windows 11 on this machine is faster than LM 20.3. Faster at loading apps, faster at booting, etc.

What is going on in my world right now? I'm tempted to use Win 11 over LM 20.3 ---- say it's not so. Is it some kind of illusion?
Faster at loading apps, faster at booting, etc.
How much time to boot to W11?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

You people must have really stressed out life's, when you are in such hurry that just a few seconds is the dealbreaker of what OS to choose. :mrgreen:
My computer has an HDD spin-disk to boot from, and i grab a cup of coffee meanwhile it starts. 8)
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Marie SWE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:50 pm You people must have really stressed out life's, when you are in such hurry that just a few seconds is the dealbreaker of what OS to choose. :mrgreen:
My computer has an HDD spin-disk to boot from, and i grab a cup of coffee meanwhile it starts. 8)
The world is stressed out and your answer is coffee-- :wink:
Works for me
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

all41 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:13 pm The world is stressed out and your answer is coffee-- :wink:
Works for me
Coffee is the way to go for the small relaxing little moments of the days 8)
And if things is really hurry.. sleep mode(suspend to ram) beats all OS startups
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Oh--I forgot to mention the shot of Jameson along with :D
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

I've never gotten a stopwatch to measure but it is faster, a lot faster.

Fast boot is normally one of the things I first turn off.

Plus there doesn't seem to be the BS that was on previous Windows.

And yeah when it comes to opening websites, using it for business apps, speed does come into the mix. I think I'll measure the time from boot to have the two systems system at idle.

Yeah, I'm really not fond of supporting MS but when something works, it works, I am not married to either party.
all41 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:18 pm
urdrwho wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:29 pm My son bought me an Acer Travelmate with 8 gig of ram and it is running windows 11 Home. Of course I immediately installed Mint 20.3.

urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

Here is the time from GRUB to boot reaches stable idle

Mint -- 1 minute and 8 seconds
WIN 11 -- 24.48 seconds

Vivaldi browser opens (4 tabs same tabs)

Mint -- 9.88 seconds
WIN 11-- 6.56 seconds

Just my observations and maybe it is a driver supported matter. Not world changing, earth shattering, I was just surprised.
all41 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:18 pm

JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

urdrwho wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:36 pm ...
Fast boot is normally one of the things I first turn off.
Many people get this terminology confused.

Fast Boot is a setting in BIOS
Fast Startup is a setting in Windows.

Did you actually disable Fast Startup?

P.S. To be fair, I have Windows 10 in a virtual machine with Fast Startup disabled. Windows is a contender with Linux Mint when it comes to boot times.
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShyGuy »

Have you tried Linux Mint with the newer kernel?
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

I'm always up to date.

I'm not complaining about mint, heck I'm not even complaining. I'm only relating my surprise about Win 11 not being the hog that I've known as Windows.
ShyGuy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:26 pm Have you tried Linux Mint with the newer kernel?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Windows 11 is still a resource hog and installs a shed-load of bloat from Microsoft Store. You just haven't been running it long enough for it to download all the crud and add extra startup services and apps running in the background yet. Even Edge browser starts with Windows unless you tell it not to in it's settings.

O&O ShutUp10++ tames it.

Okay it starts faster but that's moot. I can make LMDE5 boot in 10 seconds on my ancient hardware as recorded by systemd-analyze (it's literally a case of disabling NetworkManager-wait-online.service and uninstalling thermald, modemmanager and dmraid which I don't need anyway. You could do similar with Mint 20.3 (after the firmware phase)

use systemd-analyze critical-chain to see what is holding your system back during boot.

EDIT -

Code: Select all

michael@ga-am1m-s2h:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 5.798s (kernel) + 2.620s (userspace) = 8.418s 
graphical.target reached after 2.559s in userspace
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Win 11 boot fast but wait there is an update..... Comes back later and "you need to restart computer for the updates to take place" comes back later and "updates are completing". Comes back after all of this and " Oh crude, what is it I wanted to do?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

there is that, some of the monthly updates can take 30 minutes plus depending on hardware to install
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I find this difficult to believe considering I've tested windows 11 ( I got bored...and ..that's my excuse.lol ) on my exact same PC as LM 20.3 cinnamon runs on ( installed Windows 11 on a separate nvme ssd). I found they were even ...even in boot times, shut down times, launching any internet browser, etc.

I also noticed that the OP did not state if this PC in question was a dual boot set up now ( having windows and Linux installed into the same physical drive) It's known fast that having Fast Start and/or Fast boot ( called Quick boot within Windows) often has a " locking" effect on the Linux distro's behavior on dual boot setups.

Let's see a straight..uncut pair of videos showing you disconnecting all storage drives of that same PC, then fresh windows 11 install with only that one storage drive connected. test the boot up, shut down, and internet browser launching speeds...multiple times

Then nuke windows 11, and do a fresh install of LM 20.3 cinnamon ( again..NO edits..uncut) and show me proof windows is that much faster or faster enough beyond the margin of error.

If it truly is faster, *shrugs*. then ok. Have it and have fun with it. But regardless. LadyFitzgerald had a valid point I agree with. Personally I have no problem sacrificing even 10% speed if it means I have truly REAL ownership and REAL control over what is supposed to be my PC ( instead of leasing it ...which is basically what you're really doing when you boot any PC into windows and it's connected online).

Antikythera has a very valid point as well.

So even my point about fresh install versus fresh install...honestly is just a basic general way to test...the real test is same amount of data and programs on the windows drive...versus same amount of data and programs on the linux drive ( obviously within reason...not everything is available from windows to linux and vice versa in terms of software). It's about after you've put all you want into that PC and then see if that speed is there

Also...yeah..updates. Linux = WE..the end user..have the control and choice of when, which ones, blacklisted temp or permanently versus not..etc. Windows?? *chuckles*. good luck .

All good vibes meant, just explaining from my world.
Last edited by SMG on Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to comply with forum rules about name-calling (which also applies to products such as Windows).
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

urdrwho wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:36 pmI'm always up to date.
Are you using the 5.13 or 5.15 kernel or are you using the 5.4 LTS kernel? If you have new hardware, you will want to upGrade to a newer kernel series and not just upDate your system.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

Don't know why folks have to struggle with this question.

When you have a new PC that went with Windows (x), you don't wipe everything out just to install a Linux distro.
Repeat after me: You DUAL-BOOT. (There might be time when you want to sell it and replace it with a new one.
And the new owner only want Windows.)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

rick gen wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:51 pm There might be time when you want to sell it and replace it with a new one.
And the new owner only want Windows
When that time comes, you wipe the drive and put windows back

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”