BEEPING SOUND, only on laptop with LMDE 5 Elsie, not happening on my laptop with Linux Mint 21

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

BEEPING SOUND, only on laptop with LMDE 5 Elsie, not happening on my laptop with Linux Mint 21

Post by billeggers182 »

EXAMPLE: When using nemo or nautilus etc. When I'm typing something and go back to far using the BACKSPACE key i get a annoying beep. Not in FireFox, but here. I have been looking and assume there is a easy solution somewhere? If it is, the way it is,,,,, well so be it! But if I'm just not using my brain to change or find the answer it would be great. My 2016 car crash brain damage, send shivers down my spine when I hear that sound. I will keep looking at forums here, other sites, but coming here always seems to get me answers needed when I struggle. Go straight to the source I often say. I have told everyone and there grandma how fantastic Linux Mint is. Those with windows OS, don't understand that something better exists because they haven't been shown the light! So know all of this about me and know that I am a donor to Linux Mint, I'm a fan of Linux Mint, and I'm a normal dude who loves real computers and real technology. This BEEPING sound, is the least of my worries in life, but fixing my issues one at a time is how I roll in life.

thanks from a friend,

MrBill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: BEEPING SOUND, only on laptop with LMDE 5 Elsie, not happening on my laptop with Linux Mint 21

Post by billyswong »

Hi, have you tried suggestions in https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... d-for-real ?

LM 21 is Ubuntu based, which has disabled beeping by default; LMDE 5 is Debian based, so no disabling done. The pcspkr removal will probably work for you, because I added it BACK IN a long time ago such that I could experiment with beeping in terminal. My computer case contains a lot of noise-dampening so the beeping is somehow quiet and comfortable. I haven't removed the beeping since added it in.
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Re: BEEPING SOUND, only on laptop with LMDE 5 Elsie, not happening on my laptop with Linux Mint 21

Post by billeggers182 »

billyswong:

thanks I'm gonna try that tonight. I appreciate your words of wisdom.

mrbill
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billeggers182 »

Interesting.

So the sound is gone now?

I went to the terminal and typed sudo rmmod pcspkr ; echo "blacklist pcspkr" >>/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Then it said "permission denied"
did it without the sudo infront of it and it said "error: module pcskr is not currently loaded"

So maybe the first time that turned off the pc speaker and the error is just regarding the bash ......../blacklist.conf: Permission denied error?

All I know is that either a update changed it in the last few days, or the first attempt suggested by you fixed it. pcspkr not currently loaded and I no longer have the annoying sound. My wife will thank you, as I will thank you!

Problem SOLVED Thank your for your time, i very much appreciate those that help others when they can!

mrbill

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”