LM 21 Vanessa and deprecated key for all PPA

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juan_lutz
Level 2
Level 2

LM 21 Vanessa and deprecated key for all PPA

Post by juan_lutz »

Hello,
After an upgrade from Cinnamon LM20.3 to LM 21 via mintupgrade, which was successfully completed; after adjusting some uninstalled applications; after operating and working with the system properly; today I realized, that it was not possible to perform any update from the update manager !!! nor from a terminal via the command "sudo apt update".
The problem is that almost all applications installed through a PPA show an "deprecated key" and do not allow to perform any update.
The solution found in several forums seems to be simple if you have one or two PPAs, but if you have more than 10 it is not so much fun. A disaster.
I was so disappointed that I opted to run the last backup of LM 20.3 done with Timeshift to roll back everything.
Does anyone have similar experiences? My LM20.3 operates and works in perfect condition.
The above is for me worthy of a Beta version but not a final one.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Intel Core i9-9900K, GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER, 46 GB DDR4, 2xNvME Plus SSD 970 1TB, Cinnamon 5.6.7-Linux Mint 21.1
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LM 21 Vanessa and deprecated key for all PPA

Post by SMG »

juan_lutz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:51 pmThe solution found in several forums seems to be simple if you have one or two PPAs, but if you have more than 10 it is not so much fun.
Does anyone have similar experiences?
Are you asking if other people with 10 or more PPAs installed have upgraded? That sounds like a "chat" question so I will move your topic to Chat about Linux Mint.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

PPA have to be checked and fixed one by one for any major version upgrade, the new tool is not designed to do that for you. Personal Package Archives which is what PPA stands for are unsupported even by Ubuntu themselves. You use PPA at your own risk and are solely responsible for dealing with any changes to your system that affects them yourself and if that involves losing access to some because they aren't compatible with Ubuntu Jammy, it is hard luck.

It is unfortunate for you that you created yourself this headache by using so many. Good luck!
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

In my case, I found this not bad, but understandable. After all, LM 21 has these apps in the latest version in the official package sources. These are always preferable to the ppa's.

So for me - in only 2 cases though - I put up with the removal of the ppa's and then reinstalled them, from the official package sources.

However, it would be smoother if ppa's could also be accepted, but they were installed on the basis of an older system (focal) and apparently do not fit to "jammy".
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
juan_lutz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by juan_lutz »

antikythera wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:19 pm ...
It is unfortunate for you that you created yourself this headache by using so many. Good luck!
Dear antikythera,
I understand that from a certain point of view it is very likely that this situation was indeed my own responsibility.
However, this situation has never happened to me in the around 6 years or so that I have been upgrading LM.
As a user I know that installing certain third party applications can put the system in trouble, but in this way?, and such a risk was totally ignored (mea culpa), because I believed that the application keys were managed by the system in a safe and clear way, which in fact it is not and now I have painfully experienced it. In the past I never experienced the failure "deprecated key" and I find it very bad that this remains so without giving a proper technical solution for users like me or anyone.

The only technical question I have left to ask, is to know if a clean install of LM 21 will avoid this kind of problems with the keys of third party applications installed via PPA?. If so, then I will consider a clean install, assuming I must work to re-install via PPA, all my preferred 3rd party applications. If not, I would have to re-evaluate how to install them without using PPAs. In both cases a lengthy job and a brake to jump on as a LM 21 user yet.

Thanks for your attention and comments.
J.-L.
Intel Core i9-9900K, GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER, 46 GB DDR4, 2xNvME Plus SSD 970 1TB, Cinnamon 5.6.7-Linux Mint 21.1
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

juan_lutz wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:09 am ...The only technical question I have left to ask, is to know if a clean install of LM 21 will avoid this kind of problems with the keys of third party applications installed via PPA?. ...
That all depends upon whether each individual ppa has been updated for the new release. You cannot assume it has.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, juan_lutz.
juan_lutz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:51 pmThe problem is that almost all applications installed through a PPA show an "deprecated key" and do not allow to perform any update.
Rephrasing the real warnings and error messages, which you have read, with your own words is not really helpful.
Please, make it your habit to share the command, which you execute, and the complete warning/error message, which gets displayed.

In the specific case the output of
  • inxi -Sr
  • sudo apt update
would have been useful and should have been shared with us.

As you have reverted to LM 20.3, where the problem does not occur, keep my advice in mind for future problem reports, please.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
juan_lutz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by juan_lutz »

Only to close the topic: the deprecated key issue on LMC 21 is solved under LM21.1.
So, I upgarded my system from LMC20.3 to LMC21 and then to LMC 21.1
Greetings
J.-L.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”