Mint 21--How is it working for you?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 21--How is it working for you?

Post by all41 »

igmint wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04 am two speakers in the tray
Two Sound icons? Yes I have noticed this a couple times. This is just cosmetic as far as I know
and no malfunctions are associated with the double tray icon, but it certainly captures attention when it's there
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
igmint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by igmint »

Annoyed by phantom duplicate files :
фантом
фантом
Снимок экрана в 2022-08-14 16-01-20.png (24.86 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
translated by googlemachine. UTC+3:00
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

igmint wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:48 am Annoyed by phantom duplicate files :
Снимок экрана в 2022-08-14 16-01-20.png
This looks to be a .zip archive that has been decompressed (extracted)
to your desktop directory twice. The origin .zip is still there plus two extracted directories.
Not duplicates because each file has unique name.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

On the Darter Pro (gen 2) thunderbolt/USB-C ports do not work. I have to plug in the external drive BEFORE I boot the laptop in order for it to see the drive. Once it sees the drive, it will continue to see the drive until I shut down. Next time same issue. No other laptop has this issue, to include the System 76 Lemur Pro. So it has to be some sort of hardware issue with the Darter Pro.
igmint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by igmint »

all41 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:17 pm Not duplicates because each file has unique name.
The second double-file is a dummy, a phantom. Deleted only by reloading the folder. The old bug comes with the LM-20.
igmint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by igmint »

The video picture hangs. The sound goes ahead of the movement of the frames.
The LM-20 doesn't have that.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Of course, you will get mostly positive comments here.
But I have a feeling some of us are so discouraged that they just quietly walk away...
spamegg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:35 pm I fresh installed the BETA and participated in the bug hunt. I must have found 13-14 bugs by myself alone. Mostly UI bugs in Cinnamon, nothing too serious. They all got fixed except one in Grouped Window List's Thumbnails feature (which they are still investigating).

It's working great. (...)
I don't think so. It's not working great. 17 issues were left opened on https://github.com/linuxmint/mint21-beta/issues. This repository has been archived abruptly. IMHO, this Mint 21 did not get released "when ready"... That's a broken promise. Okay, maybe some of the latest issues opened there were not really issues. They just never got sorted out. But there are at least two big serious issues in there that are seriously bothering me. And some other issues have simply been transferred to other repositories. And I won't talk about some old bugs that never get any attention...

All right. There is no critical issue, AFAIK. But I have big concerns about some things looking really bad, obviously malfunctioning. Here are my main concerns:

muffin: flashing shadows
muffin: cropped shadows on session quit dialog
(This definition is too narrow. I've seen this bug on other windows too. On Xed, for example.)

And, also, there is this small new issue I just found recently:
LM Cinnamon 21 minimize-maximize-close buttons are not the same for all windows when choosing the icon theme

Graphical design and GUI: choose a light theme and a light desktop background so you can see those shadow issues...
At first, I went looking at this 21-beta just to check to make sure I was not getting an old bug back. Those picture thumbnails disappearing, for those who remember. I wasn't looking for new bugs. But I ran into several new bugs within my first five minutes into the 21-beta. So, why is it that nobody saw these bugs before? My hypothesis is that most professional people prefer the Mint-Y-Dark GTK theme. And they all chose some dark grey desktop background. So... there are no contrasts at all! It is all dark grey on dark grey for pretty much everything: window borders, shadows, desktop, buttons, etc. Then of course they couldn't see those bugged shadows...

All these are on Cinnamon
BTW, just having to specify which distro I'm talking about reminds me of another issue. A big issue. A meta issue. I just keep thinking the Mint team is just a small team, and they are working on four different distros: Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, and LMDE. IMHO, they should focus on Cinnamon only, and put 10 times more energy on fixing the bugs and making it better. Apple and Google are a million times bigger and they are not trying to make 4 different OSes. They make just one and they make it good.

My conclusions
I will probably not upgrade to Mint 21 anytime soon. So far, I was always quick and excited to move into the new releases, but not this time. I will stay on my Mint Cinnamon 20.3 for a while. And I will probably stop bothering you on GitHub and elsewhere. It was large amounts of energy invested for little results.
Last edited by sebastjava on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sebastjava wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:42 pmAll these are on Cinnamon. BTW, just having to specify which distro I'm talking about reminds me of another issue. A big issue. A meta issue. I just keep thinking the Mint team is just a small team, and they are working on four different distros: Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, and LMDE. IMHO, they should focus on Cinnamon only, and put 10 times more energy on fixing the bugs and making it better. Apple and Google are a million times bigger and they are not trying to make 4 different OSes. They make just one and they make it good.
Cinnamon is not a distro. Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce are all desktop environments which sit atop Linux Mint. LMDE5 has the Cinnamon desktop environment.

The reason LM21Cinnamon is a different ISO than LM21MATE and LM21Xfce is to keep the size of the ISO smaller. It is not because they are different distros.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

sebastjava wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:42 pm Here are my main concerns:

muffin: flashing shadows
muffin: cropped shadows on session quit dialog
(This definition is too narrow. I've seen this bug on other windows too. On Xed, for example.)
I have seen that flashing shadow, so thanks for sharing that bug link and putting my mind at rest that I'm not imagining things here.

It also renders some of the shadows twice as thick (your other bug shows this on the vm screenshot for xed on a white background). I'm not sure if it's rendering one shadow around another on small or non-maximised windows when they initially open until you drag them and then it gets rid of the outer one and looks normal again. Not cropped just too thick in that instance
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Vester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vester »

No problems with an upgrade from Linux Mint Cinnamon Edge 20.3.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

It's working very well for me. The only issue of any importance for me is Kodi won't run from the Cinnamon desktop just as a separate Kodi login. It may be an issue with my old hardware (Ivy Bridge CPU, integrated graphics)

I did a clean install to blank partitions
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
sw103054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sw103054 »

Just took the plunge yesterday and installed Mint 21 over Windows 10. Install went smooth......no issues. I am still learning my way around but so far I love it. I had been a Windows OS user since Windows 3.1. I am thrilled to finally be free from the security updates and all the "stuff" that Microsoft piles on. Many thanks to all for making my transition from Microsoft bondage to Linux freedom so seamless. :D
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

@SebastJava
I mean... I understand what you're saying, but I guess I have different expectations and I'm OK with the way things are.

I would have also preferred if the BETA was a bit longer. But I understand Mint team's decision to keep it to a certain amount of time and then move on. Bug searches could go on forever, so at some point they decide "it's good enough, we'll fix the other ones soon after release" instead of keeping people waiting longer and longer.

That's not what I would do if I was the developer, but I understand that there are different approaches and people prioritize things differently, so I've just learned to accept it and not make a big deal out of it. I just had fun in the BETA!

So you see, now I think of "release date" as just a random line drawn in the sand. I've observed Mint devs' approach and behavior and attitude, and I have confidence that they will continue to fix things even after release. That's why I had the confidence to wipe my Mint 20, and install Mint 21 BETA directly on bare metal instead of Virtualbox. (And of course I understand if others don't want to do that, and want more stability.)

There are at least 3-4 bugs that I reported during the BETA which did not get fixed during the BETA, but they are fixed now. One was keyboard shortcuts not working in Xviewer for EPUB files, one was the stuttering of the Thumbnail previews in Grouped Window List (if the thumbnail had a video playing), one was Hover Peek not activating correctly (unless the cursor is moved very slowly), and there was one more I cannot remember. Most of the other bugs are cosmetic and not serious or debilitating.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Mint 21 Cinnamon and Mint 21 Xfce: both are running fine on my machines. Fresh clean installations, no in-place upgrades.

In short: the robust and sound quality that I expected. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Venus Flytrap »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:15 am Mint 21 Cinnamon and Mint 21 Xfce: both are running fine on my machines. Fresh clean installations, no in-place upgrades.
In short: the robust and sound quality that I expected. :)
I think that's the secret -- do a fresh clean installation, no in-place upgrade. Less risk of things going wrong. I'll do that too. Good feedback, thanks!
Just curious, How much RAM is your XFCE using on boot-up? Thanks. I'm contemplating going from Cinnamon to XFCE on my dinosaur computer (specs below) as it may make it run easier. Cheers!
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Venus Flytrap wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:31 am I think that's the secret -- do a fresh clean installation, no in-place upgrade.
I did my first in-place upgrade and all is well. I guess it's not that straightforward.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

spamegg wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:37 am cosmetic and not serious or debilitating.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Not strictly true as visual bugs and glitches on screen can be a huge accessibility issue.

The flashing shadows issue could be potentially trigger someone with severe epilepsy to fit. The 'flash' is extreme enough to be visually disturbing to us normal folk.

However, I have seen KDE Project release equally compromising code to do with the removal of GUI options to lock screen elements into the wild which they will not fix. Quite how someone with impaired mobility is supposed to issue a long command string in terminal to lock down their desktop to stop panel items and desktop icons being moved is beyond me. Removing the easy to use option from the context menu and the toggle box from settings was an idiotic move.

At least the flashing can and will be sorted out.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
rattkjelke
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rattkjelke »

I installed LM 20 Xfce two years ago when it was released. It mostly worked fine. I was satisified with it. I like the Xfce desktop but not the stock mint themes and icons. I was using Papirus icons and Greybird theme.

I wiped the HD and did a clean install of 21 Xfce when it was released.
I disabled all the startup options and services that I don't use or need but it was still using way too much memory (for Xfce), I had problems with Celluloid and Hypnotix and I thought I must have messed up something so I did another clean install. Same results.

After a few days of Xfce I did another clean install of LM 21 Cinnamon this time. It uses only a little more memory than Xfce. I solved my problem with Hypnotix and Celluloid and posted about that in another thread.

I never liked Cinnamon but after using it for a couple weeks now it's not that bad. I disabled all the window effects and animations. I installed Cinnamenu and I think it's much better than the stock menu. It's almost as good as the Xfce Whiskermenu.

It sucks that you can't simply go to the Cinnamon panel settings and change the panel color or transparency or use a background image instead of solid color like you can in Xfce.

In Xfce you can right click on a menu item and edit some of the settings in the .desktop file. It automatically saves the modified .desktop file in your ~/.local/share/applications folder. I wish Cinnamon could do that.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTJersey »

So far I've upgraded 2 Cinnamon and 3 Mate systems with no issues. I've have yet to do my main production system despite having no problems with the others. Still a bit nervous on that one.
gunfleet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunfleet »

No problems so far after in place upgrade, it feels a little slower, nothing major just that feeling that's it's not quite as fast, opening a terminal for example. I left the not recommended snapd and flatpaks in place and they are working without any issues. The gpg message error for Skype resolved itself but I copied the keys to the new location anyway
https://www.skyportradio.com Icecast2, butt 0.1.18, Clementine and Mixxx

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”