Mint 21 and Samba

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kenny
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 21 and Samba

Post by Kenny »

Hey Guys,
I've been following the samba threads and trying to get samba to work with no success.
Since I'm posting this in chat, I didn't want to go over directions and methods but to ask if you guys think this will get resolved with a fully working samba or are they indeed removing this from linux mint? I mean I could see them taking it out because going through a server for sharing files leaves a better paper trail. I have a win10 and linux mint 21 computer and have no problem sending stuff over to my synology first, but for many years I never had this option.

Anyone know or want to speculate?
Kenny
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 21 and Samba

Post by altair4 »

I don't have a problem with Samba and Win10.

I access the Win10 machine differently than I did with earlier versions of Windows but it's not like I can't access it all. The reverse ( Win10 to Linux ) is seamless with the addition of one package.

If you are referring to the old ( NetBIOS ) way of doing things in Linux where one could go to the file manager > Network > scan the network for servers > list all the shares on that server then access the share you have a problem since that is pretty much broke.

It's not Samba that is at fault. It's Gnome - specifically the gvfs backend that Gnome created and is used by Mint.

I don't know if that will ever get fixed since they need a Samba subject matter expert to tell them that the approach they are using is wrong.

Anywho, It's not Mint ( or Ubuntu or Debian ) to fix. It's Gnome.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

altair4 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:23 am Anywho, It's not Mint ( or Ubuntu or Debian ) to fix. It's Gnome.
And what exactly is stopping the LM team from implementing a fix though?

I mean.... if the will was there would it not have been done already?

On another note, I used to be able to access guest shares on win10 PC's as a guest via mounting the share..... for some reason LM20 though refuses to do that and I HAVE to log into an account..... which is NOT what anyone on the network (which should be automatic to any and all comers) wants. Havent tested this on LM21 yet as I cannot get a upgrade finished yet.
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

Samba is trying to remove SMBv1 and the start of this was when they deprecated it and moved to Smbv2 at 4.11.0. The Gnome gvfs backend relies heavily on SMBv1, so it cannot find Samba computers any more, unless 'client min protocol = NT1' and 'server min protocol = NT1' are set (there are few others that may need setting). Windows now uses Network Discovery instead of Network browsing, so there is absolutely no reason to use SMBv1.

As Altair has stated, Gnome needs to acknowledge that they have problems, which, at the moment, they do not seem to, until they do, it is unlikely to get fixed.

All of this has nothing to do with Samba, Samba works as expected if used directly (map a share to a drive letter).
RowlandP
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RowlandP »

rambo919 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:59 am And what exactly is stopping the LM team from implementing a fix though?

I mean.... if the will was there would it not have been done already?

On another note, I used to be able to access guest shares on win10 PC's as a guest via mounting the share..... for some reason LM20 though refuses to do that and I HAVE to log into an account..... which is NOT what anyone on the network (which should be automatic to any and all comers) wants. Havent tested this on LM21 yet as I cannot get a upgrade finished yet.
There is nothing stopping LM from coming up with their own fix, except for a lack of resources.

If you are using Windows 10 pro or enterprise, then that is where the guest access is being stopped, they have it turned off by default, guest access on Samba still works as it always has.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

RowlandP wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:05 pm If you are using Windows 10 pro or enterprise, then that is where the guest access is being stopped, they have it turned off by default, guest access on Samba still works as it always has.
Nope, guest access works perfectly fine when accessing from a win10 PC. I make everyone turn it on.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”