[SOLVED]All I Want for Christmas is... Linux Mint 21.1!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FenderGuy

[SOLVED]All I Want for Christmas is... Linux Mint 21.1!

Post by FenderGuy »

Sitting on the sidelines with Linux Mint 20.3 hasn't been easy. I tried LM21, but soon, thereafter, retreated to the more stable world of LM20.3 - and I haven't regretted it one bit. :D

Someone here suggested that he always waits for the first point version before upgrading his OS. I like that approach, so I'm hoping that LM21.1 will be under our Christmas tree!

Thanks for watching. Now, we take you back to your regularly scheduled programming... :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: All I Want for Christmas is... Linux Mint 21.1!

Post by Cosmo. »

Even if you want this, it is not a support question.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

My less stress solution is keeping 20.3 intact and installing 21 on a new partition.
I've had very few occasions to boot back to 20.3--mostly for comparison, but
I will keep 20.3 for the duration of Mint 21 point releases. I still have my old
19.3 partition but it is gathering cobwebs
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

all41 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:14 am My less stress solution is keeping 20.3 intact and installing 21 on a new partition.
I've had very few occasions to boot back to 20.3--mostly for comparison, but
I will keep 20.3 for the duration of Mint 21 point releases. I still have my old
19.3 partition but it is gathering cobwebs
My less stress solution is keeping 20.3 intact until 21.1 becomes available. :?
Last edited by FenderGuy on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

That's like watching paint dry. Go and learn how to use Gimp or something.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

What are the problems with LM 21?

In my case, I had a non standard kernel, 5,15, in LM 20.3 which upset the mintupgrade approach. A clean install worked cleanly. 8) The result, LM 21, is better than 20.3 in several tiny ways.

Resource usage jumped a little from 19 to 20. On my machines, 21 appears to be slightly more efficient. I would not wait for 21.1. Just mintupgrade for a standard install and clean install for anything modified at the OS level.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

thom_A wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:05 pm That's like watching paint dry. Go and learn how to use Gimp or something.
I'm Gimped out :mrgreen:
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I'm also anxious for the 21.1 here. The live 21 installer won't run on my 12-year-old test machine. I re-burned it a few times, thinking it was just burn error, but still got the same result.

I suspect the issue is with the installer packaging which my machine is inacapable of handling. Other folks suggest it could be my machine no longer supported by the newer distros, but the latest Debian installed and works fine on it.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
FenderGuy

Linux Mint 21.1 (Cinnamon)

Post by FenderGuy »

Thus far, IME, Linux Mint 21 (Cinnamon) has been a walk through a mine field; so much so, I have retreated to the safer, more stable environs of it's predecessor, LM 20.3 (Cinnamon).

Any scuttlebutt on when we can expect LM 21.1?

Thanks, guys. :wink:
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 21.1 (Cinnamon)

Post by spamegg »

Around Christmas
Linux Mint 21.1

The next version of Linux Mint is planned for Christmas this year.

The codename for Linux Mint 21.1 is “Vera”.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4408
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

spamegg wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:58 pm Around Christmas
Linux Mint 21.1

The next version of Linux Mint is planned for Christmas this year.

The codename for Linux Mint 21.1 is “Vera”.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4408
Sweet! I'm looking forward to it. :D
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Second topic created by OP on the exact same issue has been merged with the original topic they created on the issue a month ago.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I grinned when I saw this topic show up, just had to see what the OP was saying.

Prior to about 3 weeks ago, I never, ever, upgraded to the next release.
I always waited until X.3 arrived and did a Fresh Install.

Then I did something awful, shot a skunk without putting on Hearing Protection, and the world went totally quiet.

yup, ruined my ear drums.... so, while soaking in self incrimination, I started playing with things, and installed 21 in Vbox. wow! I like what I see.

But, I hate the 3 months it takes to reconfigure all of my preferences back to "normal for me", so took a Timeshift snapshot of LM20.3 Cinnamon and let the Upgrade go.

Pleasantly surprised that nothing ill happened at all, just a few things did not install, because they were not in the 21 Repository.

So far, loving LM21 Cinnamon, even though it has not reached 21.1 yet. :wink:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

my preferences
Application or system preferences? For LM 21, I mostly just restored my home directory from Backintime and downloaded some appimages. I did not use Timeshift as that would have restored some applications I now use as appimages.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

You should understand what is Linux Mint: its developers make Cinnamon, Xapps, and make distributions based on Ubuntu, with their Xapps and three different desktops environments (Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE).

Ubuntu updates are automatically proposed to users, since Ubuntu repositories are among the installed ones.

Linux Mint 21 has been released very early, when Ubuntu 22.04 was not yet stable enough to be called LTS. At this step, Ubuntu was potentially very buggy. It has improved a bit, since Ubuntu is now in LTS, but it is not yet as stable as Ubuntu 20.04.05 LTS, used now by Linux Mint 20.

Linux Mint 21.1 would probably bring some improvements and bugs corrections on Xapps and Cinnamon, but it is not related to changes and improvements in Ubuntu 22.04, that users will get progressively, whatever the version of Linux MInt 21 they use...

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

FenderGuy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:57 am Thus far, IME, Linux Mint 21 (Cinnamon) has been a walk through a mine field; so much so, I have retreated to the safer, more stable environs of it's predecessor, LM 20.3 (Cinnamon)....
Other's experience with Mint 21 hasn't been a minefield. Is that Samsung in your signature the machine you're talking about? That's a 10 year old machine and there are limits to this "Linux is the saviour of old computers" thing.

While I'm not certain that Linux support for your machine has lapsed, I've seen quite a few Linux users on forums with that problem using old boxes and hoping that a new release will fix things. That's actually very unlikely in Linux. Old hardware bugs rarely get fixed. I'm actually going to install Antix on my old netbook and run a 4.9 kernel.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MikeNovember wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:27 amLinux Mint 21 has been released very early, when Ubuntu 22.04 was not yet stable enough to be called LTS.
From where did you get the information that Ubuntu 22.04 was not yet stable enough to be called LTS? That entire sentence sounds like that statement is your opinion and not a fact based on objective criteria.

Linux Mint 21 came out, relative to its Ubuntu base release, at approximately the same time Linux Mint 20 came out relative to its Ubuntu base release. That means Linux Mint 21 was not released "very early" unless you consider all Linux Mint releases to be done "very early".
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

MikeNovember wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:27 am Hi,

You should understand what is Linux Mint: its developers make Cinnamon, Xapps, and make distributions based on Ubuntu, with their Xapps and three different desktops environments (Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE).

Ubuntu updates are automatically proposed to users, since Ubuntu repositories are among the installed ones.

Linux Mint 21 has been released very early, when Ubuntu 22.04 was not yet stable enough to be called LTS. At this step, Ubuntu was potentially very buggy. It has improved a bit, since Ubuntu is now in LTS, but it is not yet as stable as Ubuntu 20.04.05 LTS, used now by Linux Mint 20.

Linux Mint 21.1 would probably bring some improvements and bugs corrections on Xapps and Cinnamon, but it is not related to changes and improvements in Ubuntu 22.04, that users will get progressively, whatever the version of Linux MInt 21 they use...

Regards,

MN
Good point, Mike November. While I do like to keep current with Linux Mint (Cinnamon) releases, I also want to avoid the potential pitfalls associated with "new releases" where the Ubuntu version is not yet considered LTS (long term support). For that reason, I'll likely update when LM 20.1 is released.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

SMG wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:05 am ... From where did you get the information that Ubuntu 22.04 was not yet stable enough to be called LTS? That entire sentence sounds like that statement is your opinion and not a fact based on objective criteria.
'Good point' SMG, and I couldn't agree more.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS was released on 21 April 2022. https://canonical.com/blog/ubuntu-22-04-lts-released :wink:
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

SMG wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:05 am
MikeNovember wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:27 amLinux Mint 21 has been released very early, when Ubuntu 22.04 was not yet stable enough to be called LTS.
From where did you get the information that Ubuntu 22.04 was not yet stable enough to be called LTS? That entire sentence sounds like that statement is your opinion and not a fact based on objective criteria.
Hi,

When Linux Mint 21 has been released, Ubuntu was "22.04" only; it became "22.04.01 LTS" a few weeks later.

Regards,

MN

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”