Linux: Tricks of the Trade -- tips from our members

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux: Tricks of the Trade -- tips from our members

Postby nomko » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:04 am

vrkalak wrote:5. DraftSight

Great software for students, professionals and teachers which can be used to create, edit and view all types of DWG files, which is the most common format for most CAD-related applications.

Even the lay-out of this application is the closed to Autocad of all. Any Autocad users should be able using Draftsight without getting lost the first try...

oba123
Level 2
Level 2

Postby oba123 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. A really cool feature I use all the time is to move windows by holding the Alt key and dragging from any part of the window.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:27 pm

This is a fine feature, but it can break functions in one or another application. Out of this reason I switch from Alt-key to Super-key for this; it can (at least in the Cinnamon edition) easily be done in the window-settings.

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Rocky Bennett » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:45 pm

GregE wrote:Ubuntu Guide provides enough information on using and configuring Ubuntu to make any beginner's head spin. A new guide is published with each update, so is usually complete by the time the corresponding Mint is released.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Maverick

Man, that site has not been updated in a long while.

Leon8200
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Leon8200 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:11 am

I have something I would like to add, I have succeeded in getting linux mint 13 XFCE to run on a 2001 Dell 8200 dimensions desktop.

256 MB of RAM
P4@1.8GHZ

how did I do it?

two drives, two SWAP's,
and of course a JFS file system 8)

I put it's HDD in my best pc and install mint 13 on it by flash drive, then placed the HDD back into my ol Delly and booted her right up, it runs really good even when browsing the web "using the midori browser" as my default web browser http://midori-browser.org/, and as for the setup, I have a 100 MB SWAP on /dev/sdA1, and another 100 MB SWAP on /dev/sdB1, mint is installed on /dev/sda2 on a JFS file system, and I have an EXT4 partition on /dev/sdb2 for extra stuff, like my linux mint 13 iso for example, hope that helps someone who also still has a heart for their "almost retired" pc's :mrgreen:

ALF13
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ALF13 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:02 am

Leon8200 wrote:I have something I would like to add, I have succeeded in getting linux mint 13 XFCE to run on a 2001 Dell 8200 dimensions desktop.

256 MB of RAM
P4@1.8GHZ

how did I do it?

two drives, two SWAP's,

I put it's HDD in my best pc and install mint 13 on it by flash drive, then placed the HDD back into my ol Delly and booted her right up, it runs really good even when browsing the web "using the midori browser" as my default web browser http://midori-browser.org/, and as for the setup, I have a 100 MB SWAP on /dev/sdA1, and another 100 MB SWAP on /dev/sdB1, mint is installed on /dev/sda2 on a JFS file system, and I have an EXT4 partition on /dev/sdb2 for extra stuff, like my linux mint 13 iso for example, hope that helps someone who also still has a heart for their "almost retired" pc's :mrgreen:

I wonder what do you do with this computer ? Browsing the web ?

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Rocky Bennett » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:52 am

ALF13 wrote:
Leon8200 wrote:I have something I would like to add, I have succeeded in getting linux mint 13 XFCE to run on a 2001 Dell 8200 dimensions desktop.

256 MB of RAM
P4@1.8GHZ

how did I do it?

two drives, two SWAP's,

I wonder what do you do with this computer ? Browsing the web ?

Wouldn't that computer be too slow to use to browse the web? Maybe just have one window open with no video or audio, just one forum window open maybe.

BigEasy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby BigEasy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:56 am

There was a tip how to install, not how to use after.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

ALF13
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ALF13 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:54 am

BigEasy wrote:There was a tip how to install, not how to use after.

Sorry for the spam but your post made me laugh :lol:

Maybe this PC is going to be 300 Watts Router ? Why not? :)

MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MMcD488 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 pm

I hope these count as tips. I learned this the hard way when trying to boot my Mint Cinnamon live disk. I couldn't get it boot into the desktop and after some research I figured out it was my Nvidia graphics card. I followed the instructions I found about it but it still wouldn't go into the desktop... Then I saw another write-up saying that monitors with different resolutions could cause the issue. Actually, I think i found both of those write-ups here while googling my issue from my iPhone.
So I guess my tip is to make sure you only have 1 monitor connected until you get everything installed and your graphics driver updated. It didn't expressly say that in either of the write-ups I followed so I thought I'd add it here.
Another tip I found, If dual-booting with Windows and using multiple drives, make sure all of the partitions from Windows are set up as "Basic" and not "Dynamic" because the dynamic ones aren't recognized in Linux.

I hope this helps someone :)
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
New Mint box - HP EliteBook Folio 9480m Dual-boot with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Postby InkKnife » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:52 pm

MMcD488 wrote:I hope these count as tips. I learned this the hard way when trying to boot my Mint Cinnamon live disk. I couldn't get it boot into the desktop and after some research I figured out it was my Nvidia graphics card. I followed the instructions I found about it but it still wouldn't go into the desktop... Then I saw another write-up saying that monitors with different resolutions could cause the issue. Actually, I think i found both of those write-ups here while googling my issue from my iPhone.
So I guess my tip is to make sure you only have 1 monitor connected until you get everything installed and your graphics driver updated. It didn't expressly say that in either of the write-ups I followed so I thought I'd add it here.
Another tip I found, If dual-booting with Windows and using multiple drives, make sure all of the partitions from Windows are set up as "Basic" and not "Dynamic" because the dynamic ones aren't recognized in Linux.

I hope this helps someone :)

Keeping things simple on during installation is always the best way to proceed and that is always a good tip..
My good old PC:
Core2quad@2.33, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6850. Mint 18.2 Cinnamon edition. Now with an SSD!! Zoooom!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”