Notice YouTube Ambient Mode high CPU?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shockedquartz
Level 2
Level 2

Notice YouTube Ambient Mode high CPU?

Post by shockedquartz »

Hello all. This is just an observation question, not technical in any ways.

Has anyone that uses YouTube with Dark Mode on notice higher/high CPU usage when Ambient Mode is enabled.
I use LibreWolf (Firefox fork). My older Intel CPU usually runs around 34C watching YouTube's videos in native Dark Mode. GTX 980 GPU.
When Ambient Mode is switched on, it increases the CPU by about 10/15C.
Not a big ambient mode fan so I just turn it off. No big deal.

So anyone else notice this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed May 03, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Notice YouTube Ambient Mode high CPU?

Post by deck_luck »

I use an older HP-G71-340US 17" laptop to primarily to watch youtube videos and read forum threads. After my last Firefox update I noticed the youtube videos audio would stutter during the first part of the video. I thought well maybe the new Firefox version has a bug. Well after reading your post, I paid more attention to youtube and found the Ambient mode was actually on. Hmm at first, I thought it was dark mode, but it is a different Ambient mode. Sure enough after turning Ambient mode off the video audio stutter went away. The old computer runs Win 10, so it has nothing to do with Linux per se. It seems youtube is causing much more CPU cycles with the new Ambient mode. By observing the task manager program I noticed much more CPU usage with Ambient mode on. Yuck, I turned it off and the CPU usage is back to normal.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”