Firefox crashes seem to be history - LM21 Cinnamon

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Firefox crashes seem to be history - LM21 Cinnamon

Post by AZgl1800 »

there is a very long thread running about Firefox crashes, and it has a lot of folks on different distros complaining.

I used to have LM20.3 Cinnamon and FF was crashing while watching YouTube a lot.

then I used the Upgrade path as Clem's Blog shows, and now using LM21.x Cinnamon.

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: FX705GM Kernel: 5.15.0-53-generic x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.4.12 Distro: Linux Mint 21 Vanessa
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: TUF Gaming FX705GM_FX705GM v: 1.0
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: FX705GM.307 date: 05/25/2020

Tonight, I got to watching a favorite YouTube Channel, and clicked on "Play All" and went through 15 videos before I happened to think.... " Hey! I have not restarted Firefox since early yesterday morning, and I have been in and out of YouTube all day."

In fact, I usually fall asleep while YT is running, and it is still playing content when I wake up, hours later.

for whatever reason, FF and LM21 Cinnamon are very happy together, and that makes me happy.

Just a comment, not a complaint.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Thu May 18, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox crashes seem to be history - LM21 Cinnamon

Post by SMG »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:16 am there is a very long thread running about Firefox crashes, and it has a lot of folks on different distros complaining.
That very long thread is not about Firefox crashes. Crashes are different from freezes. Crashes produce crash reports and there are no crash reports in the very long thread.

The very long thread is about Firefox freezing and many bugs have been filed against Firefox for that specific issue (the issue is not related to videos). The code which is causing the problem has been identified, but it is not yet clear what in the code is the problem.

Glad to hear your system is working. Enjoy your videos.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

crash, shamash, freeze,

it locked up back before, and now it don't

IMO, if it locks up, it crashed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:16 am there is a very long thread running about Firefox crashes, and it has a lot of folks on different distros complaining.

I used to have LM20.3 Cinnamon and FF was crashing while watching YouTube a lot.
Machine:
Obvious what the problem is, the graphics card is NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060

Nvidia, not Firefox. It just happens that you are using Firefox when it happens.
See-
I put in the Hardware Support Graphics Cards & Monitors a bit about that -
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=385110
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 pmObvious what the problem is, the graphics card is NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060

Nvidia, not Firefox. It just happens that you are using Firefox when it happens.
Really?

Then please do explain to those of us with Intel and AMD graphics who are experiencing the freeze problems how "obvious" it is that Nvidia is the problem.

Two of us, one with Intel and the other with AMD, have identified the specific Firefox code change which introduced the freeze problem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

NVIDIA drivers work in Mint 21. My GT 1030 refused to work right with any drivers in Ubuntu but not one single issue in Mint. Firefox default settings are the most likely cause of crashes. Turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox settings and see if the crash problem is gone.

Edit: Using the NVIDIA 520 driver.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

SMG wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:18 pm
RollyShed wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 pmObvious what the problem is, the graphics card is NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060
Really?
Then please do explain to those of us with Intel and AMD graphics who are experiencing the freeze problems how "obvious" it is that Nvidia is the problem.
Two of us, one with Intel and the other with AMD, have identified the specific Firefox code change which introduced the freeze problem.
And running an AMD Sapphire I've never had the problem with Firefox nor in any other computer. Only with Nvidia a freeze problem but, not tried Mint 21, freezes were with Mint 20.3.

Odd.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

[*]plays at a gentle volume " So Happy Together" by The Turtles[*]

xD I just couldn't help it.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:04 pm.. freezes were with Mint 20.3.
Yes, that is what I am running and having freeze issues with Firefox. I'm getting set up now to do some more testing. I spent 24 days doing Firefox regression testing to find the problematic code commit and my results matched the another person's testing so we verified there is a problem with Firefox.

Anywhoo, it's not anything to do with videos which was AZgl1800's issue. Firefox made specific changes a while back to fix some issues with Youtube/videos. I forget which version had the fix.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

SMG wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:18 pm
RollyShed wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:04 pm.. freezes were with Mint 20.3.
Yes, that is what I am running and having freeze issues with Firefox.
And for me no freezes as long as not running Nvidia.
Anywhoo, it's not anything to do with videos which was AZgl1800's issue. Firefox made specific changes a while back to fix some issues with Youtube/videos. I forget which version had the fix.
And YouTubes run OK here.

Odd, as I said.

If of any help -
Mint 20.3, Cinnamon 5.2.720.3, Kernel 5.15.0-53-generic
Intel© Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz × 6
Mem 15.6 GiB

The previous desktop with much lower specs was also OK.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

RollyShed wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Machine:
Obvious what the problem is, the graphics card is NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060

See-
I put in the Hardware Support Graphics Cards & Monitors a bit about that -
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=385110
uh, not so my friend,

I had the Nvidia card turned OFF for the last year, only reinstated it with the last nvidia release to see what would happen?

I have been using the Intel graphics card with the Mint software driver.

Personally, I can't tell a damn bit of difference in the display for Intel or Nvidia
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I'm always surprised to hear about FF freezing. I mean it almost certainly has frozen on me in the last 3 years. I think I remember once - was that 1 year ago or 2 years ago?? Chromium froze on me just last week, but that is a very rare occurrence also.

I still say my use of NoScript may be helping some. I run maybe 20% of the JS that is offered up to me to run. Maybe less than that.

I only have 10 FF windows open at the moment, but I often have more than 20, and sometimes more than 30. I leave them open for weeks at a time. I watch youtube and do all kinds of other things. Oh well, I guess I am blessed.

In case you are wondering I use LM 20.3 with 16 GB ram.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”