Will our women ever appreciate Linux?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

My wife (and I do love here) used to drive me mad. Windows XP, viruses, spyware, running slow, crashing etc.

She has now used Mint for two years. No more viruses, spyware, running slow or crashing.

Does she appreciate that? No way. What do you have to do to please them *LOL*

Rod
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Will our women ever appreciate Linux?

Post by FedoraRefugee »

ambertone wrote:My wife (and I do love here) used to drive me mad. Windows XP, viruses, spyware, running slow, crashing etc.

She has now used Mint for two years. No more viruses, spyware, running slow or crashing.

Does she appreciate that? No way. What do you have to do to please them *LOL*

Rod
You would be amazed how much a wink and an "I love you!" will go! Attention, they all crave attention. Most women are way more "real life" then men are. We are content to watch a bunch of people running around on TV kicking or throwing a ball. We can get lost ion computers or cars or fishing. Women tend to treasure contact, communication, relationships...They don't much care what OS is on the computer. My wife is the same as yours. She uses Windows, she uses Linux...It doesn't matter, it is all just a means to get done what she needs to do...So she can bug me while I try to watch football, work on my car, or play with Linux... :lol:
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

ambertone wrote:What do you have to do to please them *LOL*

Rod
There are other questions of a similar nature:

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

How many stars are there in the universe?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

Mine could never figure out Windows, at work she had someone else get her email for her. About a year ago she bugged me about setting up one of my old laptops for her. I put it off for a long time but finally decided to fix it up for her. Myself having abandoned Windows I installed Ubuntu on it for her. A little instruction and off she went. Now she is better at Googling than I am and she is always amazing me with the skills she is picking up. She even keeps the checkbook register on the computer now and does online banking.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

I admire your wife. One that is not afraid of technology. :)

An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, But she who shames him is like rottenness in his bones ~Proverbs 12:4
nukm

Post by nukm »

...and the sexist attitude hardens on its way into the Dev ranks....where women are routinely insulted...
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

nukm wrote:...and the sexist attitude hardens on its way into the Dev ranks....where women are routinely insulted...

Huh?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

:roll: I wouldn't touch this subject with a 'ten-foot pole'

It'll only get me in trouble. :lol:

Outside of the internet world ... out in the 'real' world, the only 2 people I know that use Linux ... are both women.
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

vrkalak wrote::roll: I wouldn't touch this subject with a 'ten-foot pole'

It'll only get me in trouble. :lol:

Outside of the internet world ... out in the 'real' world, the only 2 people I know that use Linux ... are both women.
:lol: It's one of those "There isn't a right answer." questions. My wife was looking at the forums with me and took exception to the ownership implied in "our women". Question to me: I'm not your woman am I? My answer: Uhh uhh uhh (where's that ejection seat when you need it?)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I don't know, is she into I am woman style, if so maybe some links to Geek women or women only (or mainly) will help with the appreciation index, if it needs more than that, you are on you own.

Women
in tech, women in Linux, women as Geeks

http://www.linuxchix.org/
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Bl ... -for-women
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Women_in_Linux
http://geekspeakr.com/linux

OK, that's all I could offer
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

DrHu wrote:I don't know, is she into I am woman style, if so maybe some links to Geek women or women only (or mainly) will help with the appreciation index, if it needs more than that, you are on you own.

Women
in tech, women in Linux, women as Geeks

http://www.linuxchix.org/
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Bl ... -for-women
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Women_in_Linux
http://geekspeakr.com/linux

OK, that's all I could offer
Why DrHu, I'm disappointed. You could have introduced me or Sarahmarienc, the Linux Mint Newbie Ra-ra squad, or Cathbard the Sidux-using artist. Myself, I could introduce Seftimiu the artist, whose husband keeps looking at her Linux Mint and thinking that it's Windows 7, or Hydraa the author (her upcoming book was written in OpenOffice on Linux Mint) who almost succeeded in converting her husband (he bought a Mac...) Oh, and please, allow me to introduce my own husband, who still uses Windows XP because "Linux is hard." Oh woe are we, will our men ever appreciate Linux?

Of the original post, I am forced to wonder, how is the wife in question supposed to 'appreciate' her Mint? Is she supposed to sing its praises with hosannas every morning? Shower the OP with undying gratitude, beer and sports peanuts every evening? Smugly drop "My husband put Linux Mint on my computer, so I don't have that problem" into every conversation? After two years? Really? Appreciation is, well, still using it after two years and not demanding you put Windows back. Appreciation is merely getting on with life and letting it fade into the background of Things Get Done. Your wife was able to figure out how to make the transition and never go back, and you're complaining? Dude, you've not only insulted your wife, you've insulted yourself and upheld the stereotype of he-geeks as insensitive, clueless and sexist. I'm proud of my brothers DrHu, Vrkalak, Mmesantos1, exploder, Husse, Steely, ikey and so many others, who do their best to buck that stereotype.

Hi. I'm LinuXX. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cldeHjFig_c
lexon

Post by lexon »

Give her a diamond. That will shut her up.

Lex
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Katzedecimal, you hit the nail right on the head with your post!

Edit: DrHu your post is equally brilliant! :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

My my. Some here must live in an alternate universe from the one I live in. "Our women"! Now that is a novel fantasy! :-)

We march along in a parade of their design. We are allowed to deviate from their script from time to time, for entertainment purposes I suppose. We puff-up like a toad and crow like a rooster from time to time while they smile sweetly at this silly and harmless behavior.

There are limits though. If we go too far, the sky clouds over, large black clouds form, and the thunder rolls. If this is not heeded then lightening rains down on our parade to remind us of the power we are dealing with and our proper place in the world.

The smarter men learn to appreciate the gifts they have been given and accept the guidance of the superior sex. It makes life serene and contented. Attempting to possess or train women, herding cats, and shoveling sand against the tide are all thankless, unrewarding endeavors that will ultimately lead to an unhappy existence and an early demise. :-)

Fred
Hammerlee

Post by Hammerlee »

Fred, you are wise indeed :lol:
Baxtersoup

Post by Baxtersoup »

I'm waiting for the next time her Dell Mini 10 XP install dies again - then it's getting Mint regardless. I've practiced my 'Sorry, lost the Windows CD's' line ;)
dancsnrain

Post by dancsnrain »

Rent a Penguin costume and do a little dance for her.
Landmouse

Post by Landmouse »

:lol: I am not offended at being referred to as belonging to my husband, because I do (and vice-versa, according to him)! However, I am slightly offended at the implication that women in general don't appreciate Linux...I, for one, cannot WAIT until the rest of my family moves away from Windows. I must admit that this is mostly due to laziness on my part, i.e. I hate keeping track of anti-malware updates and scans for the on-demand scanners, defrags, configuring sandboxie (which I basically have to poke holes in to get bookmarks to work correctly), dealing with errors and reboots, etc.

...My oldest son is almost there... :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”